Hi all,

My only real experience with 1911s is a 70 series Colt in all original form my dad used to carry off duty, and an 80 series OACP that looks great but isn’t super reliable despite my (and local smith’s) best efforts. My dad also had a Kimber Eclipse that is beautiful but we hadn’t shot much. Overall I am an experienced shooter with several training classes under my belt, etc. the 1911 fits my relatively small hands like a glove.

I just turned 40 and I want to splurge a bit on a 1911 I can keep for the rest of my days, bond with and really learn to shoot well through lots of practice, and pass down to my kids. It will be for range and frequent winter carry, and I am comfortable spending $2k or maybe a touch more. New or used is ok. I had thought of customizing the S70 I have, but it’s in amazing condition and has sentimental value so would rather keep as is.

I’d like a 5 inch government model to ensure reliable operations, and am considering everything in my price range but have been eyeing a couple specific options:

1. A Novak Advanced Defensive Pistol: love the features and the fact the base is a Colt S70. But, for 2k seems consistently less “hand made” than some others. They list the parts but not sure if they fit or just drop in? I do wish they had front strap checkering. Also prefer a rear tritium dot.

2. A Les Baer TRS or similar: love the concept of a “hard fit” hand made gun. Are they too tight to be carry reliable? My other worry is the blue finish, will it hold up to carry without constant fear of rust? I LOVE the look of the Baer pistols and I do like the idea of the front serrations.

Thoughts on these or other options (Rock River, TRP, etc.) at or below my price range are most appreciated!

Mike