Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K16i vs NX8

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

K16i vs NX8

I’m looking to buy an LPVO. I don’t have anywhere near me that sells these so I can’t try them out. I’m interested in the K16i because from what I’ve read, it’s got the best field of view, glass, and eye box out there. I’m not crazy about the reticle choices though. It’s a tossup between the SM1 and the 3GR. More interested in the 3GR but I don’t like that second dot. Maybe it’s awesome but seems distracting.

I like the NX8 because it’s also light and small, and I like the reticle. But I know it can’t compare to the k16i as far as forgiveness and eye box and field of view and all that. But it keeps drawing me in for those pros I mentioned. Plus, I’m getting a Scalarworks Mount and you can get a combo from them with the NX8 for a nice discount.

I know the ATACR would solve a lot of those issues but it’s expensive and hard to justify for me.

It’s going on a LW 16” gun for a general purpose rifle that I’ll use for classes. Most of my optic experience is with aimpoints but I want magnification and my astigmatism makes the dot look awful and big.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

K16i vs NX8

Razor 1-10 has a better eye box and an extra 2x over the NX8, and an extra 4x over the Khales. Why not even consider it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-13-20 at 23:26.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Razor 1-10 has a better eye PX and an extra 2x over the NX8, and an extra 4x over the Khales. Why not even consider it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True. I guess I should.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    True. I guess I should.
    I've had both the NX8 and now the Vortex 1-10x.

I can't compare directly since I no longer have the NX8. But, the Vortex has a bigger eyebox and FOV. The 1x is amazing on the Vortex.

I'd say go for the Vortex. Or whatever is cheaper and if the extra 2x doesn't matter.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I own 2 x NX-8s, so I have to say I'm a fan.

In the end you'll have to decide what works for you and unfortunately it's typically not just a 'look at the spec sheet' drill, but a plunk some $$$ down and see how they work and look to you.

The Gen III is certainly on my radar but I'm not one to wait months for something brand new - rather I'll wait a year or so to see how it's still holding up, then buy without months of waiting or risk of beta testing.

Honestly if I were you (since you are doing the LPVO thing for the 1st time?), I'd get a used Razor II or PST II 1-6x24. Both are significantly cheaper than the optics you mention and if you score a Razor II for around $1k, you can likely flip it after a couple months for minimal loss. The PST II will be 85% of the Razor II and 50% the price.

That being said, I'm sold on the NX8 for what I want. Crazy bright dot and small size / weight for most shooting out to 400 yards. Yeah it's more like a normal scope than the Razor or Kahles "throw your head behind the scope" eyebox, but on a 5.56 rifle it's a non-issue for me (likely not so much on a 7.62x51 rifle, hence the reason I use a PST currently on one of those).

If you were local to me I'd let you play with my NX8s / PST II.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    9-Hole Reviews has pretty good reviews on NX 8 and Gen III.

NX 8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Dc...vHgDBJ&index=3

Razor Gen III
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?8v=6eJ...sZx37Cs5vHgDBJ
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    K16i is excellent. Eye box is stellar. Glass is stellar. Illumination is good, not great but not really necessary due to the reticle design (Sm-1) and SFP. A friend had issues with two that had to go back to kahles, one that had the reticle orientation out of whack from the factory, the other with a similar problem after being run on a 23e beltfed MG. I have one on my go-to 5.56 carbine and love it. Prior to that it lived on a 308 gas gun and was well suited in that role.

NX8 is a great optic within the design parameters set out for it, namely a very compact and lightweight 1-8x. Illumination is thermonuclear bright. Reticle is very good and also useable without illumination. Glass is good. Eyebox is expectedly tight on 8x and some NX8 I’ve looked through had a decent amount of peripheral distortion on 1x, while others had none.

I have the ATACR 1-8 on my 308 gas gun and really like that optic. Awesome glass. Great eyebox. Great reticle. Great illumination (though not quite as good as nx8) with a reticle that’s useable without illumination.

The jury is still out on the vortex 1-10. A friend has one, so hopefully I’ll soon get some time behind it.

With optics I think you need to actually shoot them to see what you like. Unfortunately for most, this means buy it, try it, keep it if you like it, sell it and try something else if you don’t like it.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    IMHO, from 0-400 yds, my $1719. *shipped and no tax*, K16i (bought new recently from Sport Optics). It still checks the most boxes *for me* of any scope out there. Fortunately when it comes to my toys, money is no object and if I were buying a LPV again today, for my needs (0-400 yds), I would buy it again. The K16i is just a hair lighter than the NX8, and it is 4.6 ounces lighter than the new 34mm tube Vortex 1-10x, which will also need a heavier 34mm mount. With my corrected vision, I need/want 6X when shooting out at 400yds. If I were shooting past 400yds very often, I would get the Vortex 1-10x and just deal with the extra weight of the scope and mount. I think most people will agree that deciding on ones optic choice for your weapon and it’s application is probably the most difficult part of the puzzle to figure out.
    Last edited by Biggy; 06-15-20 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ^^^ Which reticle did you get? I’m leaning towards SM1.

I think the Razor Gen IIE would work well too. Seems like it gets within 95% of the k16 for a lot less money. Anyone know what the dot size is on the BDC reticle?

But yea thinking k16i with scalarworks Mount even though SW offers a Gen IIE and Mount combo for $1600. The k16 with SW Mount will be $2400.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SM-1 is a nice reticle for my needs. Big circle, tapered horizontal cross hairs draw your eye immediately to the center dot. Mil-based vertical stadia. Only thing lacking are horizontal stadia for wind holds, but out to 550 this can be done easily with Kentucky windage. It’s not perfect, but it’s very good.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast