Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have questions about a 9mm build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have questions about a 9mm build

I've ordered and am waiting on parts to finish a 9mm build that I've had in mind. I've searched this forum and others, and I'm still not quite sure about my setup.

I'm going with an Aero Precision upper receiver, Faxon 9mm BCG, Ballistic Advantage 5.5" barrel, Guntec 8.2 oz 9mm buffer and a standard carbine buffer spring.

I've read that the ideal weight for a 9mm is 20 oz. or so for the combined weight of the BCG and buffer. I've also read, the heavier the better. The Faxon BCG weighs 14.2 oz.

I'd really prefer to stick with standard buffer springs as I keep them on hand and I don't want to have a selection of springs laying around.

Should this work or is there something I'm missing?

Feedback Score
    You might have to put a spacer in the tube. I use between 1 quarter to 6 quarters. Just need the bolt carrier to travel back past the bolt catch.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What lower are you using?

No spacers needed for that buffer, which is 4" long already.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    You might have to put a spacer in the tube. I use between 1 quarter to 6 quarters. Just need the bolt carrier to travel back past the bolt catch.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, it is the longer buffer. I'm just wondering if I have too much weight with the 14.2 oz BCG plus the 8.2 oz buffer. That seems like a whole lot of reciprocating mass.

I'm going to use a Spike's 5.56 lower with Endomags for now. From what I've read, they work really well. At this point, I'm almost thinking that I'd like to just keep using the Endomags because of the form factor. The down side is that the ejector is built into the mags and clearing the action on a non empty magazine is kind of butt backwards.

I've been using Spike's lowers since they were a nobody outfit and you could buy their lowers for $50, so I thought I'd just go with a Spike's 9mm lower when I make up my mind on what form factor I want to go with. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Colt pattern. The mags are cheap and plentiful and they load like a rifle magazine. I dread the thought of sitting there loading 30+ round Glock magazines, even with a loader.

If anyone has a better suggestion for a lower, I'd consider anything.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I did not have much success with an endomag in my setup. I bought a 3 pack, tested with 1 and then surrendered.

I would say try different PMAGS, it makes a difference.

I know they work for some and wish you luck!

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I did not have much success with an endomag in my setup. I bought a 3 pack, tested with 1 and then surrendered.

I would say try different PMAGS, it makes a difference.

I know they work for some and wish you luck!

Andy
    Thanks man. Yeah, I did a bit of research and the ending mags seem to work well with a faxon bolt.

I just got notice that the rest of my parts are sitting at my house. I’ll update when i get it together with a few down the pipe.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have to say that if you get them to work, the endomags make a lot of sense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well shall see, tomorrow. Still, even if they work, the mags are $40 each. Mine came in today and I was not impressed. They seem really flimsy. The ejector looks like I could just peel it off.

I think i’m gonna go ahead and get the KAK block and and a bunch of asc mags. For the price of two end images, i can get half a dozen asc steel mags.

Right now, i’m just hoping it runs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Honestly, a dedicated lower is probably a better, more reliable option.

This FM lower has a real working LRBHO with a super beefy bolt catch, so no worries about breakage.

https://www.primaryarms.com/fm-produ...tripped-billet

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Well shall see, tomorrow. Still, even if they work, the mags are $40 each. Mine came in today and I was not impressed. They seem really flimsy. The ejector looks like I could just peel it off.

I think i’m gonna go ahead and get the KAK block and and a bunch of asc mags. For the price of two end images, i can get half a dozen asc steel mags.

Right now, i’m just hoping it runs.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ran it yesterday and put 400 rounds of various ball and hollowpoint ammunition through it. I didn't have a single problem. Everything chambered and fired just fine. It's also surprisingly accurate for just being a 9mm pistol. I zeroed at 25 yards and was able to put rounds through one ragged hole.

Still, I'm not wild about the endomags. The ejector setup just doesn't seem like it's very robust. I ordered a magwell block and a bunch of ASC mags. I'm gonna give it a try.

I thought about a dedicated lower. I wanted one for colt pattern magazines. I haven't found one in stock yet, so I got the block. Heck, if the block works, I may just pin it, like Colt did. I have too many lowers lying around not to at least try to make one of them work with the 9mm upper.

I wanted to go with colt style mags because I hate loading high cap pistol mags. What a PITA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast