Thread: Lightweight AR10 “Battle Rifle” Barrel Selection

Feedback Score

Lightweight AR10 “Battle Rifle” Barrel Selection

Hi all, looking to get my first AR10. I currently have a 10.3” pistol (in process of SBRing) and 16” AR15 set up as a general purpose rifle (Vortex 1-10x LPVO, etc.).

As I think about practical use for my purposes, I’d like the role played by my 16” AR15 with to be replaced with an AR10. I’d want to keep it as a true “battle rifle” with the goal to consistently hit steel out to 600 yards, but be manageable for <200 yards.

As a result, I want to keep this as light as possible without compromising reliability. My initial inclination was to build this with mostly V7 or 2A parts, with a heavy dose of titanium for the BCG, gas block, etc.

However, I’m currently hung up on barrel selection. Reliability and longevity are high on my list, so I naturally looked at the Criterion Chrome Lined match barrel. However, it looks to be on the heavier side (2.4lb) compared to a Faxon Big Gunner (1.9lb) or the like.

2 questions:

1. Is there any reason not to flute or simple the criterion barrel for weight savings?

2. Are there other barrels I should be looking at?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Faxon has penciled barrel that comes in 1.78lbs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Faxon has penciled barrel that comes in 1.78lbs

Thanks! I did see that, but had concerns about a pencil barrel on a “battle rifle” that may have a more aggressive firing schedule. Also, didn’t know what kind of barrel life to expect since it’s nitrided instead of chrome lined.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Based on the experiences of some members of this forum with Faxon's barrels and customer service, I would be looking elsewhere if I were you.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I used this, partially because I wanted to have a cut down FSB for the gas block. If I recall correctly, Faxon makes these for Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod117135.aspx

The stripped barrel is 33.37 oz. The chopped FSB and pins is another 1.69 oz.

Note: I also want to believe that Brownell’s requirements for this barrel are more stringent than something Faxon put out under their own branding. Zero experience, but it seemed that reviews of Faxon products had dipped in the last couple years.

Did you mention barrel length? Though my original intent had been to cut this down to 16”, I forewent that and am appreciating how little the additional 2” actually affects handling in any situation in which I would choose to grab a 308 over a 5.56. Frankly, I think it will bring downstream improvements to my handling of the 12.5“ and 16” carbines.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 06-15-20 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitu View Post
    Thanks! I did see that, but had concerns about a pencil barrel on a “battle rifle” that may have a more aggressive firing schedule. Also, didn’t know what kind of barrel life to expect since it’s nitrided instead of chrome lined.
    I am sure someone can give move details, but I dont know of any issues with nitrided barrels.

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I used this, partially because I wanted to have a cut down FSB for the gas block. If I recall correctly, Faxon makes these for Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod117135.aspx

The stripped barrel is 33.37 oz. The chopped FSB and pins is another 1.69 oz.

Note: I also want to believe that Brownell’s requirements for this barrel are more stringent than something Faxon put out under their own branding. Zero experience, but it seemed that reviews of Faxon products had dipped in the last couple years.

Did you mention barrel length? Though my original intent had been to cut this down to 16”, I forewent that and am appreciating how little the additional 2” actually affects handling in any situation in which I would choose to grab a 308 over a 5.56. Frankly, I think it will bring downstream improvements to my handling of the 12.5“ and 16” carbines.
    Oops, I did not include barrel length. Was going for a 16” to make this as handy as possible, especially since I want to consolidate down to just my 10.3” 5.56 and this rifle.

The 10.3” is wearing an EXPS and a folder for max compactness, so it’s going to be a <200yd rifle for me. This one is intended to fit the 200yd-600yd role for me.

Feedback Score

The original light weight AR10 barrell

I am not familiar with what barrel options are available for the modern AR10/DPMS. Below see a photo of the early Dutch AR10 barrels for the Cuban (top) and Sudanese (bottom) models. The flutes are scary scary but I have never heard of one of these barrels suffering any failure.

Feedback Score
    I would look into the faxon gunner series so it’s a normal govt profile from chamber to the gas block then it becomes a pencil barrel. That or look into the LaRue ultimate upper kit with their predatAR barrel.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you have figured out what you want, but these options would be worth looking at because they certainly are light weight. I have no idea about reliability.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/rogue/

https://www.roamrifles.com/