Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: M855 to be replaced in 2009

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dtibbals View Post
    Lets hope that means a lot of surplus of the "old" stuff hits the streets!!!
    This is my line of thinking. Bring on all that "old stuff", I'll take it. Maybe we'll get to see some decent 5.556 prices again.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    If the bullet is 62gr and the PEO ammo is claiming increased velocities over M855, then that's one hot load. It will be interesting to see the numbers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nope. Then Congress can ban lead just as they banned Freon.

Then watch Obama sign it!
    Last edited by Submariner; 11-26-08 at 15:20.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sadly no, thank former President Clinton for that one. Surplus US made ammo cannot be outright sold to civilians. It is out right destroyed.

ETA: Doc, do you think that statement from LTC Day could just be a blanket PR statement? I mean this design is a pretty radical departure from the SS109 projectile and I would imagine there is going to be some difference in terminal performance.

Also would this projectile now be identified as "armor piercing" for legal purposes?
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-26-08 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Sadly no, thank former President Clinton for that one. Surplus US made ammo cannot be outright sold to civilians. It is out right destroyed.

ETA: Doc, do you think that statement from LTC Day could just be a blanket PR statement? I mean this design is a pretty radical departure from the SS109 projectile and I would imagine there is going to be some difference in terminal performance.

Also would this projectile now be identified as "armor piercing" for legal purposes?
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    To the best of my knowledge, ATF has not ruled on M855 LFS, but why would it legally be any different than Remington Bronze Point?

Keep in mind that the Big Army's first very expensive attempt at environmentally friendly ammo, the tungsten-nylon core "green" M855 ammunition was poorly conceived, badly implemented, did not work, and has turned out to be highly toxic:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...NEWS/809110313

http://archive.capecodonline.com/spe...tungsten17.htm

http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/libr...ts/TR-07-5.pdf
    Last edited by DocGKR; 11-26-08 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savior 6 View Post
    ??

Is there something I can help you with?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, ATF has not ruled on M855 LFS, but why would it legally be any different than Remington Bronze Point?

Keep in mind that the Big Army's first very expensive attempt at environmentally friendly ammo, the tungsten-nylon core "green" M855 ammunition was poorly conceived, badly implemented, did not work, and has turned out to be highly toxic:

http://www.capecodonline.com/a...80911/NEWS/809110313

http://archive.capecodonline.c...en/howtungsten17.htm

http://www.crrel.usace.army.mi...lreports/TR-07-5.pdf
    Doc, a heads up your links are not working.

Yeah, I was in the active Army for the "leadless M855" boondoggle.

I suppose the only legal difference one could draw between a Rem Bronze Point and this ammo is that this new M855 is issued to the military, and the "core" is steel and not bronze.

Intuitively do you think this new ammo would exhibit enhanced blind barrier performance and decreased fragmentation thresh hold over SS109? Mind you yours is about the only opinion I would value for an "intuitive assesment" of this new ammo.

Finally, will you be testing it?

Feedback Score
    Thanks--links fixed.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast