Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6920 magazine release issue

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Unhappy Colt 6920 magazine release issue

Apologies for the links - I just can’t get this photo thing figured out, and I musta’ tried 12 times or more.

Magazines release hangs up when I press the release button, it just gets stuck until I wiggle it free by pressing on the button, again. Carbine is NIB, unfired.

I thought it was factory grease causing it to stick, but it isn’t. The part hangs up outside of the lower.

Anyone else here had this experience?

Last edited by Buncheong; 06-15-20 at 23:08.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Have you by chance checked the magazine release bar that the magazine release button attaches to?

Some times that bar isn't threaded into the button all the way, and this can allow the magazine catch to protrude too far out from its hole in the lower when the button is pressed. The catch then has clearance to turn slightly when the button is depressed and catch the lower receiver when you let pressure off of the button.

If that isn't the issue, you may remove the mag release assembly and see if there are any burs on the magazine button and magazine catch holes that could cause things to get hung up.

Edit: OP, can you take a picture of the actual magazine release button on the ejection port side? I'm wondering if you don't just need to use a screwdriver or punch and press the button in as far as it'll go, then with the button completely depressed rotate the mag catch one full rotation clockwise and see if the issue goes away.
    Last edited by Rogue556; 06-15-20 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    Take the eraser end of a pencil and push the magazine release button until you can turn the magazine release that protrudes on the other side of the receiver counter clockwise. Unthread it all the way and then inspect the button, spring, and magazine release. Lightly oil each component and reassemble.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Why does it look like someone dremeled the lower?
    Is it just the picture or does it really look like this?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Not uncommon with recent Colt rifles to have some ugliness to them, so I'm curious as well. I didn't catch that before.

I have a Colt lower that looks like it was butchered prior to anodizing. Edges look very similar.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post

Edit: OP, can you take a picture of the actual magazine release button on the ejection port side? I'm wondering if you don't just need to use a screwdriver or punch and press the button in as far as it'll go, then with the button completely depressed rotate the mag catch one full rotation clockwise and see if the issue goes away.
    I did try that. I called up an armorer friend from here on M4C who was trained by Will Larson. He made the same suggestion.

I did one full turn on the mag catch but the problem persisted.

I did another full turn and the problem persisted, plus the threads were poking out above the button.

*Edit: my armorer buddy said it appears as though the lower may be out of spec.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 06-15-20 at 23:04.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It really looks like that.

When the lever comes free of the opening it’s really obvious.

It has been suggested that I contact Colt CS, request a RAN, and send it to them for repair or replacement.

~ Yuno

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd change out the entire mag catch assembly and start fresh.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This experience has soured me on Colt, somewhat.

Previously I was what you would consider a devoted fan; I believed they were the standard and the safest choice for those of limited means, out-of-the-box. I own more than a few of them.

I guess I should have listened to their critics, much more seriously.

~ Yuno

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    This experience has soured me on Colt, somewhat.

Previously I was what you would consider a devoted fan; I believed they were the standard and the safest choice for those of limited means, out-of-the-box. I own more than a few of them.

I guess I should have listened to their critics, much more seriously.
    Everyone is capable of putting out a lemon here and there. Contact Colt and get an RMA.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 06-15-20 at 23:57.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast