Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt 6920 magazine release issue

Feedback Score
    Sounds like the Mag release latch is not screwed far enough into the button. The latch should be nearly flush as threaded into the button. If it is properly adjusted and still catches disassemble and look for defects in the parts. I should not take much time to figure out what the problem is. I have had a spring bind once, and I was able to fix the spring by compressing it once removed and re-installing the latch and button properly. Look for debris and flashing in the lower, on the button, on the latch, and inspect the spring. If everything checks out it is probably just adjustment. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd change out the entire mag catch assembly and start fresh.
    Best option IMHO. 👍

FWIW ... I purchased my 6920 in 2012 and haven’t had any issues at all.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    Best option IMHO. 👍

FWIW ... I purchased my 6920 in 2012 and haven’t had any issues at all.
    I agree this is an easy fix but given the expense of Colt parts these days I would warranty it or just troubleshoot it myself. There are only three parts and the lower that need to be inspected. Colt would probably refuse to replace an individual part but you could replace the single part needed for less money than buying all parts. Apex or Sarco may have old M16 parts for reasonable prices. I also have a bunch of Vietnam era parts I picked up on the forums to have replacement parts available. I’ve seen Colt LPK go for $150+ That’s nuts. If you have a spare carbine consider returning to a Colt for a warranty if it turns out you actually need replacement parts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Sounds like the Mag release latch is not screwed far enough into the button. The latch should be nearly flush as threaded into the button. If it is properly adjusted and still catches disassemble and look for defects in the parts. I should not take much time to figure out what the problem is. I have had a spring bind once, and I was able to fix the spring by compressing it once removed and re-installing the latch and button properly. Look for debris and flashing in the lower, on the button, on the latch, and inspect the spring. If everything checks out it is probably just adjustment. Good luck!
    Hes done all of that. now we can just wait and see what Colt does to correct it.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    I’d try to contact Colt CS. I had a 6920 made right before the 2016 election and it was all boogered up with tooling and file marks. After posting here and gettin a mix of “it’s a Colt, it’s not supposed to be pretty” and “call CS” I decided to call CS because I just couldn’t accept Colt would actually feel this was acceptable.

After several attempts at contacting them I finally got a guy on the phone. He at first seemed skeptical and asked for pics which I sent. Then said to send it in. A couple weeks later I got a letter (yes, not an email) saying the lower was reviewed and deemed to be “out of spec”. I did end up talking to one of the only two CS guys that work there on the phone. I told him about the type of comments I heard (the bs “it’s a Colt it’s not supposed to be pretty“)and he actually seemed to take offense to it. Said that my rifle should have absolutely never left the factory floor. Another three weeks went by and I received a new lower

The 6920 I have from 2010 is perfect as it the one I bought in September of 2019.
    Last edited by OldState; 06-21-20 at 04:44.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123