Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: PSA Question...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The answer was it doesn’t fix it. An extractor spring doesn’t stop a bcg from outrunning a magazine spring.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    The answer was it doesn’t fix it. An extractor spring doesn’t stop a bcg from outrunning a magazine spring.
    What evidence or experience do you have that the BCG is outrunning the the magazine spring? What evidence or experience do you have that shows bolt overs are caused by BCGs out running the mag spring?

If bolt overs are caused by the BCG outrunning the mag spring, why didn't cutting back on the gas flow (slowing down the BCG) fix the problem? Why didn't changing the magazine fix the problem? Why did an AR with really excessive BCG speeds that I worked with not have bolt overs? Why do bolt overs occur more often when carrier speeds are slow? Why do they occur more often when an extractor spring is failing?

When developing the M4, Colt started having bolt overs that were blamed on the carrier out-running the magazine, so they worked to slow the carrier speeds. But Colt didn't fix the whole problem until they developed a stiffer, more durable extractor spring.

I would genuinely like to know the answers because none of the bolt over malfunctions I've personally worked on were solved until a new, properly made extractor spring was installed.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bolt-over-malfunctions can also be caused by short stroking, sure. The subject post I’m referring to was a questionable quality gun with a suppressor. That reeks of over gassed and high carrier velocity. It’s a pretty known phenomena.
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 02-21-21 at 18:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Bolt-over-malfunctions can also be caused by short stroking, sure. The subject post I’m referring to was a questionable quality gun with a suppressor. That reeks of over gassed and high carrier velocity. It’s a pretty known phenomena.
    The MP-10 is NOT over gassed. It's gassed just right for commercial pressure ammo. NATO pressure ammo, which is loaded to less pressure than commercial ammo causes short stroking in an unsuppressed MP-10.

What's questionable is the extractor spring S&W fits the MP-10 with. It's not an M4 spring and not compatible with an M4 spring. The factory spring is weak and not durable. It's not up to the task of extracting the heavier 308 case, a situation exacerbated by adding a suppressor.

The MP-10 comes with a carbine buffer. Changing to an H or H2 did not fix the problem. Changing springs did not fix the problem. Reducing gas drive did not fix the problem. When faced with the same malfunctions in a small framed AR that were not fixed by buffers, springs or gas drive adjustments, replacing the extractor spring did. Every time.

I don't give a damn about what "pretty known phenomena" are floating about the internet. No one has presented evidence carrier speeds can be increased enough to outrun a modern AR magazine in good condition- especially in semiautomatic. I have not been able to get a carrier to outrun a mag, even in an AR so grossly over gassed and carrier speeds so high, recoil was painful.

If the problem with suppressing an MP-10 was over gassing, reducing the gas drive would solve the problem. Reducing the gas drive did not solve my problem, no matter how many times I tried.

All evidence points to the extractor spring, no matter how much you, or the internet gestalt, wishes otherwise.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good luck.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    IMO PSA does their job extremely well, which is to get AR15s into the hands of Americans that want one. We can all hate on them but when a ban on assault weapons makes it to the supreme court, PSA will have aided greatly to making the AR15 America's rifle and in “common use”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    IMO PSA does their job extremely well, which is to get AR15s into the hands of Americans that want one. We can all hate on them but when a ban on assault weapons makes it to the supreme court, PSA will have aided greatly to making the AR15 America's rifle and in “common use”.
    I agree. PSA mission is to make money well as putting as many AR15's in the hands of the public. An excellent mission in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

PSA Question...

PSA is not Daniel Defense, but they make nice rifles and their quality has improved in recent years.
    I have built two, an AR15 rifle and an AR9 pistol and both run well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I only have experience with PSA lowers, two of which were complete lowers and one stripped lower.

The two complete lowers were overall good, with two minor gripes. First, the castle nut on both was improperly staked and definitely not torqued to 38-40 ft lbs. Easy fix for a guy with a vice, magpul wrench, and bev block. Not so simple for someone new to ARs. Second, the included buffer was the 3.0 oz carbine buffer. Even easier fix to swap buffers; a newbie can change buffers without much trouble (or purchase tungsten weights and swap the steel weights out for slightly more trouble).

I recently built the stripped lower into a pistol build to hold my MK18 upper while my main lower was getting engraved. Normally I'd test fire it prior to attaching my home defense upper, but with the ammo shortage I decided a dry function test would have to do. After assembling the lower with mostly BCM and SIONICS parts, it passed my simple function test (admittedly not a very high bar, but then again I didn't really doubt the LPK).

In sum, my dad and I have never had problems with our PSA lowers. Are they as good as the complete BCM and Colt lowers we've bought, or the stripped Centurion Arms and SOLGW lowers? Absolutely not. I wouldn't swap any of those brands for PSA even if you gave me a case of MK262. But I can't deny they've been solid options when we were on a budget. I'm the "gun guy" among my friends, and when I can't convince someone to pay $1200+ for a BCM/DD/Colt/SOLGW/etc. I often suggest mating one of those brands' uppers to a PSA lower, with the invitation to allow me to help them correct any poor torquing/staking of their lower.

Someone mentioned PSA being important for the 2A and I wholeheartedly agree. While they often skimp on QC they certainly deserve recognition for their dedication to our rights. I seem to recall their mad dash to get Californians their stuff during freedom week. I don't live in that awful state (as Hank Hill said, "I hope I never make it to LA"), but as someone deep in enemy territory here in IL, I appreciate the fact that brands like PSA value our freedom (as well as BCM, Centurion, SOLGW, and a few others).

Feedback Score
    Anyone else need to pat themselves on the back in a necro thread about PSA having eyes on this forum?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast