Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA Question...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I actually liked them more back in the day. Back when at least half the stuff they advertised was sporting the fn chf barrels and their premium bcg, and you could build a half way decent beater AR on the cheap.

Now it really seems they just push their bottom of the barrel stuff. Although admittedly, I built one of their freedom kits for the heck of it and it's still running strong. And yes, I own better stuff to compare it too.

I got some junk from them over the years, but they always took care of it.

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bought a complete premium upper with the FN barrel and then bought a Stealth complete lower a few weeks later. This was right when the lowers were $139 and the upper was $399 or something cheap like that.

They aren't bad and I haven't noticed any visual issues like canted FSB or M4 feed ramps being off, but I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I have it as a spare rifle, put BCM furniture on it and a Primary Arms red dot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Since this thread has been resurrected from June..Ill update.
    My test rifle now has over 1800 rounds and continues to run & shoot flawlessly.
    Just told someone a couple days ago I wish I woulda bought 10 instead of two. The other one I sold to a member here, last I heard was running fine, but he can chime in on that if he wants.
    Thanks for the update. Interesting to hear. I took a class over the summer with a guy who brought a PSA AR-10 variant, and it didn't fair well at all, granted the guy attending didn't really have any prior knowledge of AR's or his Springfield pistol. The rifle seemed to seize up after a couple of magazines, they got him on some slip 2000 or something similar and that helped, but the guy ended up borrowing the instructors BCM 5.56 half way through the class. I think this is half the issue with PSA, they are the firearm for the lowest common denominator now that DPMS and Bushy are not found on the shelves, and the buyers don't help. I do appreciate them flooding the market with AR's as I can only imagine the headache they provide for bloomberg and others, and I'm glad that yours seems in working order. I do hope that they improve, and are known for better quality as it really would help the market as a whole.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Andy-
    The absolutely will hold up against Ruger, S&W, Springfield Armory, ect. Thats a great comparison.

No, historically they have had a much greater showing of problems than the AR15s from companies you just listed.

I'm not saying your sample doesn't run, but there is no way around the litany of issues their company has had with AR15s and other products. Regarding their warranted items, they have been known from multiple persons to be difficult to deal with when problems arise.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No, historically they have had a much greater showing of problems than the AR15s from companies you just listed.

I'm not saying your sample doesn't run, but there is no way around the litany of issues their company has had with AR15s and other products. Regarding their warranted items, they have been known from multiple persons to be difficult to deal with when problems arise.
    But but but “it’s just as good as BCM!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own quite a few PSA Lowers and uppers. I have had issues with a few of the uppers. They were corrected by the factory. Once any initial issues were sorted out, the Fn CHF barreled uppers I have, have all run as good as any other rifle I own including Colts, BCM and DD's. Several of them have completed high round count carbine and SUT courses without issue. The SUT courses are especially hard on rifles- a break contact drill only lasts a few minutes and you can easily burn 90-100 rounds depending on terrain, number of bounds etc....Much of that time you will be shooting "in the dirt" and not standing at the 5 yard line doing Up Drills etc...the rifles get hot and dirty and full of sand, grass and other crap off the ground.

I wish I could say the same for my buddy with the "Premium 3 Letter" rifle he bought from another company. It shoots like crap and it doesn't matter what ammo or shooter-- 4 MOA. "That's within milspec" is what he was told. Well, yea, that may be within milspec- but it's also within Romanian Ak milspec! Pretty sad considering what he paid for the rifle.
    Last edited by Esq.; 02-19-21 at 11:47.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

I wonder how many they have sold compared to other companies? More sales would lead to more reported problems if that was the case.

I know most of what they advertise are build kits, as opposed to the other companies listed who sell complete guns. If the end user is assembling the gun that could also be why we hear of more issues with psa.

I'm no psa fanboy, but I am experienced with them and think they catch more flack then they deserve, but for sure, they deserve some flack.

But it is the internet. Just the other day I saw someone ranting that sig is the equivalent of kel tec......and I just rolled along because....well...the internet.

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score

Have seen too many threads to count at the other site (over years) where guys have posted pictures of obviously jacked up parts they have received and read the stories about how calling customer service got them 'difficulties' that you mention.

To the point that it is well known there that if you have a problem with PSA stuff your best bet is to avoid calling and start a thread in the PSA section of that sites 'Industry Section' with pictures and a description of the problem. Once it is mentioned there (and highly visible to others) the problem usually gets taken care of FAST. And then (depending on how bad PSA screwed up with whatever garbage they sent out) once resolved and the thread moves down a bit it goes 'poof' and disappears.

To a casual observer of the PSA section there - Things do not appear all that bad and they seem to be pretty on top of getting things resolved. Anyone that visits that section regularly will soon see how reported problems are resolved and quickly swept under the rug (threads deleted).

The member that compared them (PSA) to DPMS and Bushmaster is way past wrong in his assessment. Neither of those companies ever came close to pumping out the same level of failure as PSA did (and still does) on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I own quite a few PSA Lowers and uppers. I have had issues with a few of the uppers. They were corrected by the factory. Once any initial issues were sorted out, the Fn CHF barreled uppers I have, have all run as good as any other rifle I own including...
    You got to wonder WHY they even left the factory if they had problems.

As far as the FN barrels - PSA does not make them so it is harder (but not impossible) for them to screw those up.

If you take a single 'good' part and improperly connect it to a third rate part - You may have issues.

A PSA rifle (with an FN barrel) is no where near the same as a complete FN upper built and assembled by FN. There is good reason the PSA stuff is much cheaper...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    The member that compared them (PSA) to DPMS and Bushmaster is way past wrong in his assessment. Neither of those companies ever came close to pumping out the same level of failure as PSA did (and still does) on a regular basis.
    Maybe, but I have seen quite a lot of DPMS and Bushmasters fail. I guess I should have specified that I am mentioning the 2012-2015 under the freedom group. No feedramps, improper gauging of the headspace, horribly staked keys etc. I worked a gunshop and range during those years and 80% of the ARs we sold were Bushmaster, DPMS, CORE, or something similar. In an indoor range with awesome temp controls they would fail quite regularly. We actually started buying Spikes uppers and BCGs for our gunsmith to offer as a swap to their guns.

Full disclosure I own a few things from PSA, a lower that was blemed from the factory, and a few lower parts and buffer assemblies. Most of what I ordered I had issues with, I was missing a buffer spring for an A2 stock assembly, also I want say that some springs were missing from lower parts kit. They corrected everything, but it set me off about a month each time. I haven't ordered from them since 2015, and with Aero, BCM and so many others, never really had to.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast