Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simulating recoil?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    guys, OP desires to test a part. Not train.
    Yes, that was the ‘thrust’ of my question. I’m a science guy, an experimental guy, and I’m probably over-tasking myself, but I’ve been wanting to 3d print more gun accessories. I’ve done followers, rail hand/barrier stops, spigot adaptors, and other Knick nacks. With the 6mmARC and a Howa Mini Action, I see the potential for a really light-weight long-range set-up.

I have a multi-material printer and I thought that I could address the weight and recoil management of a light gun by playing with stock design. I was looking for a way to simulate recoil so I could take high speed pics or measurements in a lab/off-range setting. I was guessing that some kind of pendulum with a mix of weight and swing impacting a protector on the end of a barrel would mimic the recoil impulse.

Probably overthinking something our of my league.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I was looking for a way to simulate recoil so I could take high speed pics or measurements in a lab/off-range setting. I was guessing that some kind of pendulum with a mix of weight and swing impacting a protector on the end of a barrel would mimic the recoil impulse.

Probably overthinking something our of my league.
    Dvorak makes the air/gas recoil systems used in many LE shooting simulators. Why don't you contact them to see if they have something that would fit your needs.

https://www.dvorakinstruments.com/

It would cost, and I don't know your budget, but thought it was worthwhile to mention.

ETA: I'm aware you are wanting to test recoil mitigation, not train, I think something like this would more accurately replicate recoil than a pendulum. If you are simply wanting to test durability a pendulum calibrated to impact with the same energy of peak recoil would suffice.

Snell used pendulums to test impact on helmets back in the day, but that testing was for essentially one event. If you are testing the durability of a stock that would require thousands on reps, not thinking the pendulum would be the way to go. A micro switch on an air piston (like a target turner) might be the way to go.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-17-20 at 10:55.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I could swear I put this into the "AR Technical" subforum.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, someone moved it, not sure what the thought process was.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I was having trouble understanding why anyone would want to simulate recoil until someone said the OP was testing a part. Someone else mentioned the almost unlimited variables involved. You could only simulate one situation. Why not just use a series of firearms and get a wide range of responses. If a particular combination of factors would cause failure, you would find that out and be able to work of that.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    It's possible, but very expensive.
    But, when it comes to *most* parts it isn't the recoil that breaks them, but rather drops and falls.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12