Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: To the LEO on this forum: Quit

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    There's a lot in it, but this seems to be the highlights:
    - Requires body cameras be worn Agree
    - and that recordings be released within 21 days of a misconduct claim Don't agree with this
    - Requires body cameras be activated during interaction with the public Agree
    - Defines situations when body cameras may be turned off and sets sanctions for failing use cameras appropriately Depending on the situation, I agree sometimes cameras shouldn't be activated, also would like to know what "sanctions" means
    - Creates an annual reporting requirement for a variety of use of force and contact statistics Not liking "variety" this needs to be clearly defined
    - Requires permanent revocation of certification for any peace officer that pleads guilty or nolo contendrere to a crime of unlawful use or threatened use of force Agree
    - Places limits on use of force in response to a protest or demonstration (cannot fire projectiles at head/pelvis/back or indiscriminately into a crowd. Must warn to disperse prior to use of chemical agents) Fine line here, don't entirely agree
    - Ends qualified immunity as a defense to civil action and allows for civil action to be brought against individual officers for infringement of rights. Agree with ending immunity, don't necessarily agree with the civil action
    - Creates use of force standards that limits use of lethal force and bans choke holds. Standards for use of lethal force should already be in place. Don't necessarily agree on choke holds
    - Requires officers to intervene when they witness other officers using unlawful physical force and requires reporting. This should be the case anyway... can't believe they have to write it into law
    - Mandates that officers who fail to intervene shall be decertified by the POST board Agree
    - Creates a database of peace officer untruthfulness, failure to meet training requirements, decertification, and termination for cause Agree though minus the "training requirement" portion
    - Allows the POST board to decertify officers that fail to meet training requirements Another fine line here, who gets to determine the training requirements?
    - Requires that peace officers have a legal basis for making a contact "Contact" needs to be clearly defined
    - Requires reporting after a contact See answer above

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb20-217
    -
    Some decent ideas here, but some vague items that could be abused.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yea F all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    - Places limits on use of force in response to a protest or demonstration (cannot fire projectiles at head/pelvis/back or indiscriminately into a crowd. Must warn to disperse prior to use of chemical agents)

I disagree with this 100%. This will make it harder to stop riots. If people are legally protesting peacefully, no need to use force. If you riot, and you get hit with a rubber bullet, gas canister it should be on you and not the police.

- Ends qualified immunity as a defense to civil action and allows for civil action to be brought against individual officers for infringement of rights.
    This is total BS. When I was a cop in the USA, I was sued 3 times. Twice the county settled out of court as a cost saving issue. The third time the scum refused a huge cash settlement and in trial they won zero. But if you don't protect officers financial well being you will have officers doing nothing. On the other hand if an officer is convicted in a criminal court of a felony, then QI should be open for removal after a court hearing and due process.

- Creates use of force standards that limits use of lethal force and bans choke holds.
    The choke hold if taught how to do it is a great tool, and not lethal. I have choked out tons of people in my life. Never killed anyone, but it solved me having to really hurt someone to get them to jail. Limit lethal force, will get cops killed.

- Requires officers to intervene when they witness other officers using unlawful physical force and requires reporting.
    No problem with requiring reporting, but what is intervention

- Mandates that officers who fail to intervene shall be decertified by the POST board
    Again what is intervention?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    - Places limits on use of force in response to a protest or demonstration (cannot fire projectiles at head/pelvis/back or indiscriminately into a crowd. Must warn to disperse prior to use of chemical agents)

I disagree with this 100%. This will make it harder to stop riots. If people are legally protesting peacefully, no need to use force. If you riot, and you get hit with a rubber bullet, gas canister it should be on you and not the police.

- Ends qualified immunity as a defense to civil action and allows for civil action to be brought against individual officers for infringement of rights.
    This is total BS. When I was a cop in the USA, I was sued 3 times. Twice the county settled out of court as a cost saving issue. The third time the scum refused a huge cash settlement and in trial they won zero. But if you don't protect officers financial well being you will have officers doing nothing. On the other hand if an officer is convicted in a criminal court of a felony, then QI should be open for removal after a court hearing and due process.

- Creates use of force standards that limits use of lethal force and bans choke holds.
    The choke hold if taught how to do it is a great tool, and not lethal. I have choked out tons of people in my life. Never killed anyone, but it solved me having to really hurt someone to get them to jail. Limit lethal force, will get cops killed.

- Requires officers to intervene when they witness other officers using unlawful physical force and requires reporting.
    No problem with requiring reporting, but what is intervention

- Mandates that officers who fail to intervene shall be decertified by the POST board
    Again what is intervention?
    I personally think qualified immunity has become abused over the years (as many things have been) and the concept should have another look. It should not be the immediate fall back until such a complaint or case has been completed.

One of those things that was a good idea in concept when it was started, but like everything, has a less limited scope these days.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Where are the laws that limit citizen's behavior? Oh that's right already in place and, certain ones don't have to abide by them. Guess we need more policing of the police because every interaction is so black and white, cut and dry.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I foresee in the near future that things like this legislation will lead directly to people saying..."F#$@ that, I don't want to be a cop"... which will lead to an uncivil lawless society. Criminals will be able to do their will freely and good people will pay the price on different levels no matter what. Any sort of personal responsibility on the behalf of the liberal mind has no accounting. It is everyone's fault but their own.... a my way or the highway mentality. Utter insanity seems to be gripping and controlling this country anymore. It is going to get worse going into the election. Once the election is over, it will get even worse no matter who wins. The progressive commies will utterly lose their minds if Trump wins and blow the country up. If Biden... gasp/gulp/fart... wins, it will be payback time on a level above the Obammer years for those that supported Trump. Your civil liberties will become crimes.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know one thing for sure. If you are fighting me, you have no rules and if I am fighting back and can't punch you, or grab you around the neck, I will lose.
    So if this goes hand to hand, am I as an Officer, more likely to be seriously harmed or killed and the suspect escape?
    So does the culprit resisting arrest now becomes more likely to escalate under these new rules?

Will these rules increase or decrease the numbers of shootings?
    It's kind of simple for me to figure out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    copy, good luck on whichever endeavor may be yours.
    You know those heartbreaking stories that turn into "and it was the best thing that could have happened"? Well, long term, it has. I'm in the process of getting my MSW and going into mental health/criminal rehab. Better money, better hours, quite a bit safer.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    It is going to get worse going into the election. Once the election is over, it will get even worse no matter who wins. The progressive commies will utterly lose their minds if Trump wins and blow the country up. If Biden... gasp/gulp/fart... wins, it will be payback time on a level above the Obammer years for those that supported Trump. Your civil liberties will become crimes.
    This, sadly.

Enjoy the next 4.5 months, the real unpleasantness starts in November regardless of which candidate wins - or more likely, "wins."

Feedback Score
    QI should be in place until an officer is convicted of a felony. If he appeals, then until that process is over.

Like I said I was sued 3 times, twice the county settled out of court. If you don't think the government would throw officer under the bus, then you haven't had the joy of being in the system.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast