Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about these guys

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Tell me about these guys

The bottom one looks like after market grips since they don't cover the hole up entirely.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The top looks much like my 1878 (?) S&W .32 black powder cartridge revolver. Mine has black grips with lots of engraving or molding. It’s a family heirloom that belonged to my great great great grandfather. I also have his LC Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Top looks like a 38sw maybe. Top break revolver.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Top looks like a 38sw maybe. Top break revolver.
    It is a top break, what kind I don’t know. But it’s not functional. The other gun seems to be. Trigger breaks like glass ��
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The top break sure looks like an Iver Johnson.
    I think you're correct about the mismatched grips. IJ grips would have had an owl's head molded into the thumb area of the grip where yours have a gap.

Feedback Score
    After further looking you have an Iver Johnson I do believe. The smith is quite a bit different. My smith on the left and IJ on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    The top break sure looks like an Iver Johnson.
    I think you're correct about the mismatched grips. IJ grips would have had an owl's head molded into the thumb area of the grip where yours have a gap.
    Correct on both counts; zoom in and you can see the IJ markings on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The top break is definitely an IJ, you can read that much on the barrel. Any markings on the top one?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The bottom one looks like after market grips since they don't cover the hole up entirely.
    It's possible they're original grips: Early synthetic grips tend to shrink over time.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Top one is one of a bunch known as “suicide specials”, looks similar to one listed as made by H&R as an “Aetna” on this page: https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/SSs/sss.html

The bottom one is an Iver Johnson.

I don’t think either are likely to be worth a whole lot and it’s hard to tell from the photos whether they are safe to fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast