Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash Sale on 6/21 8PM for the Odin - all new weapon light (SF M600 competitor)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just saw a review from Mr G and G and under full auto, the tail cap tape switch lock came off. Not sure why Olight didn't make it a twist lock, but I bet that gets fixed. Not sure why they wouldn't make an adapter to be compatible with SF tape switches since those are the most used out there.

If you don't use a tape switch this is a non issue, but throwing this out there for people who do.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Picked up 2.. At that price they may be worth it
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Picked up 2.. At that price they may be worth it
    Give everyone a personal review once you get them and try it out.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Give everyone a personal review once you get them and try it out.
    Got them yesterday. Haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet but have played around with them.

Construction quality seems good. On par with stream light but not quite up there with modlite or surefire. They are a tiny bit shorter than a M600DF with the head about the same diameter and the body being a bit thicker.

The mount is pretty well thought out. It is a flexible design that gives you a wide range of mounting options. But like any multi option design it isn't perfect in any singular use. On that note it is compatible with standard surefire mounts as others have noted. However I feel the mount is a bit too tall. This is a consequence of the multi position mount it comes with, but something I don't like. I like my lights tucked in as close as possible to the rail and I don't think that is possible with this design. In addition there is a slight wobble when mounted in the stock mount no matter what orientation you use. Again this is the nature of the mount. It is an annoyance but I doubt it would have any impact on functionality.

They do not use 18650 batteries but instead they use the larger 21700 batteries. The nice part of this is that they have a higher capacity at the same voltage as 18650s, the downside is that you lose battery compatibility. I have a couple dozen 18650s and would need to find or make a converter to use them in these lights. Another plus in this department however is that the battery is removable, so you can charge it either though the included magnetic charger or have extra batteries and swap them out. This is something the smaller olight weapon lights don't offer.

The activation switch is nice. A light press gives you low power. Pushing it harder and holing it in gives you momentary on and pressing it all the way in and letting off quickly gives you constant on. Unlike the surefire tail caps it is not a mechanical click that stays in. The reliability of one over the other is best left to people far smarter than I am. Under stress you are always going to go to full power since nobody I know would have the mental acuity to think about going half power on their light in a firefight. One interesting note. If the battery is low and you push in the tail cap you get a very noticeable vibration from the light. About as strong as a cell phone on vibrate. This is a nice indicator if superfluous.

Light pattern is really good. Lots of throw with a very very bright hot spot. This may well be my favorite beam pattern yet for longer range use.

Surefire left, Olight Right

Olight on low

Olight On full

Surefire

Also please forgive my nasty fence. It is being replaced soon!

Overall I don't regret buying the lights. They seem good as long as they can hold up to some abuse. Also keep in mind that I got both of these lights plus 4 small pocket lights for less than the cost of a single M600DF. One of them is going to get the hell beat out of it in the coming weeks. If it holds up then great. If not then they will both be relegated to secondary guns in the safe.
    Last edited by kwelz; 07-07-20 at 23:18.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank you for sharing. Nice write up, I will be interested to see your follow up after some use/abuse.

I decided to hold off on picking them up for the time being.

Got them yesterday. Haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet but have played around with them.

Construction quality seems good. On par with stream light but not quite up there with modlite or surefire. They are a tiny bit shorter than a M600DF with the head about the same diameter and the body being a bit thicker.

Overall I don't regret buying the lights. They seem good as long as they can hold up to some abuse. Also keep in mind that I got both of these lights plus 4 small pocket lights for less than the cost of a single M600DF. One of them is going to get the hell beat out of it in the coming weeks. If it holds up then great. If not then they will both be relegated to secondary guns in the safe.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

The mount is pretty well thought out. It is a flexible design that gives you a wide range of mounting options. But like any multi option design it isn't perfect in any singular use. On that note it is compatible with standard surefire mounts as others have noted. However I feel the mount is a bit too tall. This is a consequence of the multi position mount it comes with, but something I don't like. I like my lights tucked in as close as possible to the rail and I don't think that is possible with this design. In addition there is a slight wobble when mounted in the stock mount no matter what orientation you use. Again this is the nature of the mount. It is an annoyance but I doubt it would have any impact on functionality.

They do not use 18650 batteries but instead they use the larger 21700 batteries. The nice part of this is that they have a higher capacity at the same voltage as 18650s, the downside is that you lose battery compatibility. I have a couple dozen 18650s and would need to find or make a converter to use them in these lights. Another plus in this department however is that the battery is removable, so you can charge it either though the included magnetic charger or have extra batteries and swap them out. This is something the smaller olight weapon lights don't offer.

The activation switch is nice. A light press gives you low power. Pushing it harder and holing it in gives you momentary on and pressing it all the way in and letting off quickly gives you constant on. Unlike the surefire tail caps it is not a mechanical click that stays in. The reliability of one over the other is best left to people far smarter than I am. Under stress you are always going to go to full power since nobody I know would have the mental acuity to think about going half power on their light in a firefight. One interesting note. If the battery is low and you push in the tail cap you get a very noticeable vibration from the light. About as strong as a cell phone on vibrate. This is a nice indicator if superfluous.

Light pattern is really good. Lots of throw with a very very bright hot spot. This may well be my favorite beam pattern yet for longer range use.

Surefire left, Olight Right

Olight on low

Olight On full

Surefire

Also please forgive my nasty fence. It is being replaced soon!

Got mine and my observations mirror yours. An Arisaka M-Lok offset mount is on the way. I'll post pics once I have it mounted.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice write up Kwelz. I look forward to seeing the durability results.

The Odin Turbo will be the next release. It will be an LEP though, so it probably won't have much in the way of spill but the candela will be spectacular. Rumoured to be in the 250,000 candela range.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    So I thought I of pretty basic but important test the other day after my post. I wanted to see how water resistant they are. So I buried one of them in an outdoor planter we have sitting out front. Between watering the plants and the nasty rain we had the last couple of days, it was pretty much constantly sitting in mud. Took it out this morning and it works perfectly and no sign of moisture in the lens or body. Not much of a test I know, but I was curious if it would keep the water out.

I am trying to decide the best way to beat it to hell next!

Feedback Score
    I just received mine in the mail. Great light, I’ve been using SF x300u and TLR1 HL’s on my rifles for years. Figured it’s time to get some more juice on the rifle. The gas pedal switch took some time to get used to, more often than not I’ve depressed past the low mode right into full power.

The mount seems to work fine, but as others have pointed out, it rattles in the locked position.

I do have a question about The power output. I’m new to these “high speed” batteries. So @ 2000 lumens for 2 minutes it steps down to 1000 lumens. Do I have to recharge the battery to get 2000 lumens again or wait a certain amount of time and I can get full power again without charging?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast