Thread: First 9mm build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First 9mm build

I was hoping to post a pic of my new build, but apparently the host I was trying to use doesn't like guns; so, here's a link...https://photos.app.goo.gl/NkP41jvrmrjFaimE9

Nothing special, just a bunch of parts thrown together, but I think it looks pretty cool.

KAK flashcan
    Ballistic Advantage 5.5" barrel with the muzzle threaded 1/2X36 (I didn't want to leave the chance of making a big mistake)
    Handguard is just a freefloat tube that I cut down to fit the barrel and flashcan. There's really no room for rails to make much of a difference anyway.
    Aero Precision upper without forward assist. My bolt doesn't support it, so I saved a few bucks. It was actually pretty cheap, I got it as a blem directly from Aero
    Sig Romeo4M. Got it on sale to replace my 4T, while I was waiting for it to get back from Sig. The 4M is actually a pretty nice little sight. It's sitting on a 4T lower 1/3 mount.
    BCG is from Faxon. I've had good luck with Faxon, so I gave it a try.
    The lower is a Spike's multi cal and I'm using Endomags for now. If I like the way it shoots, I'm gonna get a mag block and switch to Colt pattern mags.
    FCG will be a Tom's Tactical enhanced. It'll be here tomorrow. It's a pretty decent FCG for $40. When I got my first one, I thought it was covered with lube. It wasn't. The coating is just that slick.
    The buffer is Guntec 8.2 oz. I hope it works.
    Of course, the brace is an SBA3.

I'm gonna take it out tomorrow with a can full of ammo and see how it does.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took it out yesterday and put 150 rounds of 115gr ball, 150 rounds of 124gr ball and 100 rounds of various hollow point ammunition and the combo of parts ran flawlessly from the first round to the last. I'm not abandoning the Endomags just yet, but I really don't like the fact that the ejector is a part of the magazine and how flimsy it is. I just ordered a magwell block and a bunch of ASC mags. I'll try it out when they come in.

Feedback Score
    Looks to be a tough little "Bulldog" of a gun. Good job OP!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. Mean and my son put another 400 rounds through it today. It didn't miss a beat.

Seriously, these Endomags really work well. I ordered a magwell adapter and a bunch of ASC colt pattern mags Friday, so I'll probably see how those do sometime this week. I sure do how they work as well as the Endomags. If not, I suppose I'll just be commited to spending $40 a pop on mags for this thing. I need this thing to feed hollow points, which it does reliably with the Endomags. I'm thinking this might make a good home security system.

It was kind of funny. A guy was standing there at the range telling me about how inaccurate 9mm is, especially out of a short barrel like mine, while my son was behind him picking shot shell hulls off of the berm at 25 yards. When I was sighting it in at 25 yards using a rest, I was punching one ragged hole. I really didn't expect that.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was definitely surprised at how well my 9mm upper shot and easy it was to shoot well.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Hi, enjoyed your build. I am currently building my first AR9, and planning on the Faxon BCG as well.

My question for you, I ordered a KAW Valley buffer tube set (with spring, and buffer which is 7.5gm) these are supposed to be specific to 9mm but everyone I see uses a heavier buffer?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nice build ! What mag block are you going to go with ? Top or bottom loader ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Thanks. Mean and my son put another 400 rounds through it today. It didn't miss a beat.

Seriously, these Endomags really work well. I ordered a magwell adapter and a bunch of ASC colt pattern mags Friday, so I'll probably see how those do sometime this week. I sure do how they work as well as the Endomags. If not, I suppose I'll just be commited to spending $40 a pop on mags for this thing. I need this thing to feed hollow points, which it does reliably with the Endomags. I'm thinking this might make a good home security system.

It was kind of funny. A guy was standing there at the range telling me about how inaccurate 9mm is, especially out of a short barrel like mine, while my son was behind him picking shot shell hulls off of the berm at 25 yards. When I was sighting it in at 25 yards using a rest, I was punching one ragged hole. I really didn't expect that.
    Don't know why he would say that 9mm isn't accurate. If it could not put rounds on target, there would not be so many 9mm platforms out there.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    Nice build ! What mag block are you going to go with ? Top or bottom loader ?
    I'm not using a mag block at all. The Endomags are inserts that you slide into a standard Gen 2 or Gen 3 Magpul 5.56 magazine. They work with any milspec 5.56/multi cal lower. I mean, yeah, you have to deal with the magazine being bigger than it needs to be, but they are very reliable and more robust than they appear to be.