Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crap groups when barrel gets hot

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The groups look alright for that range, what ammo are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    Sounds like I might have unrealistic expectations Using Fiocchi .223 55gr

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hkusp View Post
    Sounds like I might have unrealistic expectations Using Fiocchi .223 55gr
    I think so. That's neither the barrel profile nor the ammo for small group shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hkusp View Post
    Are lightweight barrels crap? Should I send back to BCM? Had a flash hider pinned/welded to the ELWF barrel too, so it's a sunk cost now.
    Lightest barrels I own are gov profile. Not a big fan of them personally.

Noticeable difference in how they act as they heat up as they get heavier in the picture above.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    So, that target is 12" X 18"? And you're using a 4 moa dot T1? If so, that 4 moa dot is now 8 moa at 200 yds. Your group looks to be maybe 7" X 10". So I would ask, are you immobilizing the gun on a bench? Are you used to whatever trigger you are using? Will the gun actually shoot 1-2 moa cold at a 100 yds with that ammo? Are you being very careful with your dot placement at 200 yds...are you consistent in it's placement?

4moa is 4moa at any distance.

Lightweight barrels, lightweight guns in general magnify every shooter error, they’re simply much less forgiving to shoot.

Those barrels aren’t known or great accuracy, the ammo is not match ammo, it’s not a precision optic, there’s just a lot going against you looking for small group size.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    4moa is 4moa at any distance.

Lightweight barrels, lightweight guns in general magnify every shooter error, they’re simply much less forgiving to shoot.

Those barrels aren’t known or great accuracy, the ammo is not match ammo, it’s not a precision optic, there’s just a lot going against you looking for small group size.
    Since the target is twice as far it has the effect of being 8 moa now. You're right the dot hasn't changed size but the target has gotten smaller by half. Move the an 8" target to 300 yds and see how much of it is covered, move it to 25 yds. That dot will cover more or less depending on the range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Y'all are confusing Minutes of Angle with Inches at X Hundred Yards.

4 MOA at 100yd = 4 MOA at 200yd = 4 Inches at 100yd = 8 Inches at 200yd (Approximately)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just one of many links to MOA/MIL, etc etc. Speak in MIL, speak on MOA, in the end, same thing. 1 MOA subtends to 1.047" per hundred yards, field math 1" per 100 yards as stated. Field math MILS 1/10=.36" and 1 MIL=3.5" per 100 yards (true 3.66, 3.5x1.047=)
    https://americanshootingjournal.com/...kip-redirect=1
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Those kinds of targets suck to get any consistent POA, especially with a RDS.

I much prefer targets with 90 degree angles / shapes (diamonds, or squares turned 45 degrees) so I can focus at that one point for each and every shot. At least for solid zeroing / confirming accuracy, then I move on to fun stuff like shooting steel at different ranges.

Also turn your RDS down to where you and just see it. If it's uber bright it will be hard to see any definition in the dot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Those kinds of targets suck to get any consistent POA, especially with a RDS.

I much prefer targets with 90 degree angles / shapes (diamonds, or squares turned 45 degrees) so I can focus at that one point for each and every shot. At least for solid zeroing / confirming accuracy, then I move on to fun stuff like shooting steel at different ranges.

Also turn your RDS down to where you and just see it. If it's uber bright it will be hard to see any definition in the dot.
    They aren't so good for magnified optics either. Roundish targets just make things less than optimum for consistent reticle placement. I personally prefer the Pro Shot or Shoot n See 12" square gridded targets for 200 yds and out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12