Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend a reliable trigger spring?

Feedback Score

Can you recommend a reliable trigger spring?

I have an M&P Sport from about 2015 with some furniture. It's a rock-solid rifle, and after several thousand rounds has always been 100% reliable. A few days ago I was practicing and I had 3 rounds that failed to fire the first time. 2 fired the second time, and the 3rd one fired the 3rd time. It felt like a hard primer issue, but this was standard, Federal Lake City M193 5.56 ammo, not Russian junk. I've fired a ton of this ammo, and this was the first time I've seen this happen. So I'm suspecting a weakened hammer spring.

In any case, can somebody suggest a top quality AR hammer spring that would hit harder? If it makes the pull a tad heavier, that's fine. I'm more concerned about reliability; another pound or two in the pull won't affect anything. What about these braided hammer springs? Are they really better or is it a gimmick?

I know Wolff makes an extra-power spring, but are they good quality? They're awfully cheap.
    Last edited by Ruark; 06-19-20 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Wolff hammer spring should do the job if that's truly the issue. Have you made sure that everything is properly lubed, and that the firing pin channel is clean? Assuming that everything's clean and lubed (don't leave lube in the firing pin channel), I imagine just a replacement standard power hammer spring will be sufficient.

The other thing to check is the front of the firing pin. Is there any deformation?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    The Wolff hammer spring should do the job if that's truly the issue. Have you made sure that everything is properly lubed, and that the firing pin channel is clean? Assuming that everything's clean and lubed (don't leave lube in the firing pin channel), I imagine just a replacement standard power hammer spring will be sufficient.

The other thing to check is the front of the firing pin. Is there any deformation?
    Actually, I just cleaned and lubed it before the session. No lube or deformation on the firing pin.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Actually, I just cleaned and lubed it before the session. No lube or deformation on the firing pin.
    In that case, take a close look at the brass and the extractor. Does the brass look normal? Are the primers starting to extrude from the primer pockets? Does the extractor appear to have any abnormal wear?

What's the round count on the rifle?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    In that case, take a close look at the brass and the extractor. Does the brass look normal? Are the primers starting to extrude from the primer pockets? Does the extractor appear to have any abnormal wear?

What's the round count on the rifle?
    Everything looks normal. Extractor is good. Firing pin looks new. Probably about 3K rounds through it, maybe not that many. I ordered a new Wolff spring anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Please keep us updated.

Feedback Score
    I have great results with the JP Enterprises Enhanced Reliability spring kit. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5T

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you pull the firing pin out and inspect it and the spring? If a piece of the spring broke off or there is debris in the channel, it could cause failures to fire.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    In case you disassembled the FCG for cleaning:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hamm...&bih=454&dpr=2
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dumb question, are your hammer spring legs sitting on top your trigger pin (to lock in the groove)?
    Check firing pin protrusion.
    .028-.036
    Last edited by LMT/556; 06-27-20 at 16:06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast