Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: single stage trigger suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

single stage trigger suggestions

I have a Timney competition 3lb on my 16" 5.56/223, and I am probably going to put the same only 4lb on my 7.5" 300blk pistol. The pistol wil be my home defense gun along with a p226 sig...but realistically (and I pray) it will only be used on the range.

Any reason I should go a different route?
    Last edited by Steved13; 06-21-20 at 05:45. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I have a 4# Wilson TTU that I really like. I doesn't depend on setscrews to hold it in like the Timney. To tell you the truth I think a hot rod trigger in home defense gun is a liability.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    3-4# seems mighty light for an HD setup.

Perhaps one of the improved mill-spec options or a 2 stage with a very short take up like the Larue MBT would be better choices.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Google Timney trigger fail

Geissele / ALG, maybe Larue on “go to” guns
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    thanks for the replies. I really don't want a 2 stage, or from reviews and opinions geisselle would probably be the answer. Prepping on the range, and prepping in an intense scenario seem like a bad idea to me...bit I am new to ARs so probably wrong on that?

I was liking the drop in idea also.

Not sure why a 4lb would be too light? If finger is out of the trigger guard?

You guys have me rethinking.

I really appreciate the advice, and patience with a new guy.

Feedback Score
    I have a 4lb Wilson TTU and 4lb Timney 668s. I would recommend the Wilson.

Chattanooga has a moderate climate, but I lived up north and wore gloves in the winter a heavier trigger would be best. If you decide to go with a heavier 5-6lb single stage, take a look at LaRue.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-21-20 at 07:09.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steved13 View Post
    thanks for the replies. I really don't want a 2 stage, or from reviews and opinions geisselle would probably be the answer. Prepping on the range, and prepping in an intense scenario seem like a bad idea to me...bit I am new to ARs so probably wrong on that?

I was liking the drop in idea also.

You guys have me rethinking.

I really appreciate the advice, and patience with a new guy.
    If you are finessing the trigger in your "intense scenario" you are increasing your odds of being killed. You can jerk a 9 pound 2 stage trigger just as fast as a 4 pound single stage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you are finessing the trigger in your "intense scenario" you are increasing your odds of being killed. You can jerk a 9 pound 2 stage trigger just as fast as a 4 pound single stage.
    yup makes sense. You kind of made my point...probably would be "finessing" on the range (from the little I know I think thats what 2 sages are about, prep it fine tune the aim and shoot) and then doing something totally diffeent in an intnse scenario. Could never finesse on the range but then I don't understand why get a 2 stage at all?

I hope I don't sound argumentative, I am questioning to learn not argue, written words without "tone" can be misinterpreted

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The two stage trigger design allows for greatly increased sear engagement when the trigger is at rest, compared to a single stage trigger (with equal pressure required to release the hammer).

Taking up the first stage, giving the user a clean break with almost imperceptible trigger movement, has the same end effect as using an excellent single stage. There's simply no initial safety margin with the single stage. Once the trigger moves, the hammer falls.

Taking up the first stage, and expecting to be able to stop at the wall without releasing the hammer, followed by fine tuning the sight picture before taking the shot is okay when shooting for groups from the bench or prone. It is not an effective way to run the gun offhand in most other situations. Pressing through the two stages in one fluid movement is no slower than using a single stage.

....and I fully agree with Dennis. If you can't effectively run a decent mil-spec trigger, then the problem is with you, not the trigger. I've got a few PNTs and one ACT, but in offhand shooting, I see absolutely no difference in the end result.

I have one Timney 4 pound single stage unit. It's much easier installing a PNT or MBT than the Timney, so I see no benefit it it being a cassette...and it's no more crisp than the SSA or MBTs.
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-21-20 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you don't have the trigger time yet to fully understand the differences between various trigger types in different situations then I would get a quality standard trigger, coated or not, to start in a SD gun. You can always change it out later as you learn more!

Dennis.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    The two stage trigger design allows for greatly increased sear engagement when the trigger is at rest, compared to a single stage trigger (with equal pressure required to release the hammer).

Taking up the first stage, giving the user a clean break with almost imperceptible trigger movement, has the same end effect as using an excellent single stage. There's simply no initial safety margin with the single stage. Once the trigger moves, the hammer falls.

Taking up the first stage, and expecting to be able to stop at the wall without releasing the hammer, followed by fine tuning the sight picture before taking the shot is okay when shooting for groups from the bench or prone. It is not an effective way to run the gun offhand in most other situations. Pressing through the two stages in one fluid movement is no slower than using a single stage.

....and I fully agree with Dennis. If you can't effectively run a decent mil-spec trigger, then the problem is with you, not the trigger. I've got a few PNTs and one ACT, but in offhand shooting, I see absolutely no difference in the end result.
    Thanks for the feedback, and I apologize if I wasn't clear. I understand the differences between the milspec, 1 stage and 2 stage, and if you check my post above I said something very similar as to staging at the range and not staging in an SD situation. Y thought was/is I would be using different methods at the range than in an SD situation, and usually that isn't desirable...but I think I maybe overthinking that, or something that I see as an issue that others don't.

I can squeeze a double action handgun while staying on target, and the milspec is not an issue in that regard, ut thinking of something a little more fun when at the range.

Since they are not very expencsve I think I may pick up an enhanced "stock trigger" even if it's just to try it for a bit, and then go from there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast