Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: single stage trigger suggestions

Feedback Score
    Me 10 years ago running a milspec trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavnQFUuI4o
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    I dont think anyone advocates for taking apart a gun during combat, but not requiring tools is a huge advantage in pulling out blown primers, ect. As for speed, yeah gucci triggers help but pairs are a joke as you should burn a target into the ground with as many shots as it takes. The 2 shot drills set you up for failure. In my opinion of course.
    I had a friend that had a blown primer with his G2s trigger, one with her RRA match trigger of some sort, and milspec from another person. All three needed a multitool to get the back into action, so I don't see a point at all.

And if I need to burn someone to the ground or until the threat is over, then why would I want to be even slower with a heavier pull weight?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Me 10 years ago running a milspec trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavnQFUuI4o
    Nice shooting, but you're forgetting that you're not me and I'm not you. Now multiply that by the millions, and here's where we are with different levels or fitness or health. maybe someone has had an injury or an ailing illness like arthritis and a match trigger helps. maybe two people having the same amount of training, and one's a natural Miculek and the other's not? There's not many at all that can do what he does, even for the younger guys with much high more trigger time. Even SF recognizes that milspec is inferior and requested and got an NSN for a match trigger from Geissele. Are you going to admonish them for their gucci trigger too?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steved13 View Post
    I have a Timney competition 3lb on my 16" 5.56/223, and I am probably going to put the same only 4lb on my 7.5" 300blk pistol. The pistol wil be my home defense gun along with a p226 sig...but realistically (and I pray) it will only be used on the range.

Any reason I should go a different route?
    What are you using as a primary handgun? I honestly went to 2-stage triggers because it was what closely mimicked my Glock. Going back and forth between both caused some minor issues when I was shooting a lighter single stage trigger in my carbine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    What are you using as a primary handgun? I honestly went to 2-stage triggers because it was what closely mimicked my Glock. Going back and forth between both caused some minor issues when I was shooting a lighter single stage trigger in my carbine.
    Are you saying that you need slack in order to fire? Or both either have to be slack or no slack but not both?

Feedback Score
    Don't buy a fancy trigger. Use a known quality mil-spec single stage. I recommend ALG.

Then, I dare you to put a dollop of polishing compund on the sear, and dry fire 1000 cycles.

Meaningful repetitions, with sight picture, and mental focus.

Not just "cock'n'click" mindlessly while watching TV.

Your finger will be stronger. Your trigger will be smoother. And just like magic, your groups will shrink. For $0.

I dare you to prove me wrong. You don't need a Gucci trigger.

Edit to add: This dry practice is also a very good opportunity to verify a "fire on release" condition is not present with your disconnector (common with value - mid tier brands and homebrew rifles).
    Last edited by BFS; 06-24-20 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I don't think that having a 3-4lb trigger in your defensive guns is necessarily a horrible thing. The question IMHO becomes more about your skill/competency level. If you don't have the skill to consistently manipulate any trigger that you encounter consider just keeping a Mil-spec trigger in your HD guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BFS View Post
    Don't buy a fancy trigger. Use a known quality mil-spec single stage. I recommend ALG.

Then, I dare you to put a dollop of polishing compund on the sear, and dry fire 1000 cycles.

Meaningful repetitions, with sight picture, and mental focus.

Not just "cock'n'click" mindlessly while watching TV.

Your finger will be stronger. Your trigger will be smoother. And just like magic, your groups will shrink. For $0.

I dare you to prove me wrong. You don't need a Gucci trigger.

Edit to add: This dry practice is also a very good opportunity to verify a "fire on release" condition is not present with your disconnector (common with value - mid tier brands and homebrew rifles).
    Whenever someone says what "I don't need," they always turns out to be wrong. Even adding "I dare you to prove me wrong" has also turned out to be wrong too.

Even Jerry Miculek recommends getting a good trigger. Pretty sure he's dry fired more meaningful and focused than people here can talk a big talk about with the right catch phrases and daring people with appeals to ignorance.

Even a quick google search shows that pros use match triggers to get their groups down, and I'm pretty sure, nope, POSITIVE, that their fingers are already stronger at this point.

So with that said, I dare you now to prove all of them wrong, too.

We know what we need and don't need. You do you.

Feedback Score
    I have used several ALG ACT triggers as well as several more BCM PNTs. In my experience, the BCM triggers are way more consistent across the board. None of them have had a gritty feeling to them. The ACTs are sort of a role of the dice. I have had very good ones, and I had one that was literally the worst trigger of ANY type that I ever felt, including the crappy triggers that many times come with factory rifles. That trigger felt like it was drug down a gravel road to polish it. Between these two, get the BCM.

Feedback Score
    Just get what you want, and practice with it. Simple. I think you already have your mind made up anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast