Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget base and rings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I still got you big boy. I’m in Florida right now but when I get back. No problem.
    PB
    My friend ended up buying a set of Seekins base and rings. Thanks though.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So my friend got screwed over. He bought the rifle from a smaller shop online at the same time another friend of his did. The distributor got both orders for the same rifle at the same time and thought it must have been a duplicate and cancelled my buddies order. In the week that it took to figure out why the rifle hadn't shipped yet, the rest got sold out.

Anyone seen a Bergara HMR 6.5 CM in stock somewhere?

Edit: the gun store found another distributor with one.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 07-18-20 at 18:10.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I can vouch for the Talley aluminum one piece ring/base mounts. I have a set on a Cooper M52 in .280AI, not the hardest kicking rifle ever made but certainly more energetic than a 6.5 Creedmoor in a rifle that weighs a solid 2lbs more before glass. The Swarovski 3-10X42 living on top has yet to lose zero or experience any other issues.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I have some Tally 30mm rings on EE. The steel ones, if your interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update. Buddy ended up with the Seekins base and rings. They look nice. Thanks for the suggestions.

On a related note we took his Bergara HMR out to 1030 yards the other day. The HMR continues to impress me for a sub 1000 dollar rifle. This is now the fourth HMR I've shot (3 in 6.5 and 1 in 308) and all have been tack drivers.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I missed the post where the rings where already chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Got a buddy getting into bokt guns. Just bought a Bergara HMR and a PST gen2 5-25. He's looking for some base and rings preferably under 200 dollars. Anything decent in that price range?
    Last edited by davidjinks; 11-01-20 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    I would tell him not to cheap on on base and rings. I would suggest NightForce and Badger or a mix of the two.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Did somebody say budget?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've always like the looks of the vertical-split rings..... I think I must have seen them on some classy, beautiful Euro rifle and thought, "must be better". I still like the look of them but now feel they don't have a place on the kinds of rifles we discuss here. 1) The ones I have and have used have a loose piece that keys the ring to a groove in the rail. It is only a slight inconvenience in a well-lit installation environment but if you had to futz with it at the range or in the field, good chance of losing it. 2) The biggie: If you wanted to loosen the scope to either shift the scope forward or rearward in the rings or re-level it, in the process of loosening the scope in the rings you have also loosened the rings on the rail. I you want to take the scope and rings off the rail as a unit and move everything forward or rearward a notch, well, in loosening the rings on the rail you have also loosened the scope in the rings-- there goes your careful leveling job. With traditional horizontally-split rings you can do either or.

Got an Email from EGW this am, Valentine's Day sale, promo code is GUNLOVE. https://www.egwguns.com/promo-code

I'm not a shill for them but they make some pretty good stuff and a lot of rifle and 1911 parts of other brands you can buy are made by EGW.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good points and I’m in agreement.

And if you only have 2 hands, horizontally split rings are a heck of a lot easier to mount the scope (and level it).
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12