Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carriers: Crye Airlite SPC vs. JPC 2.0 vs. Spiritus LV-119 Overt

Feedback Score

Plate Carriers: Crye Airlite SPC vs. JPC 2.0 vs. Spiritus LV-119 Overt

So, before supplies dry up even worse, I want to get a plate carrier. As much as I like the Crye AVS, I don't have that kind of money right now. I've been leaning towards the SPC due to the weight and the fact that apparently it distributes the weight better than a lot of other minimalist carriers with the structural cummerbund. But I know the JPC is one of the flagships in this category of PCs, though I've heard it's not as comfortable. But I don't know as much about the LV-119. How is it in terms of comfort/weight distribution and quality compared to the other two?

I'm asking here because there's nowhere around where I can really try and compare them, so I've got to take an educated leap of faith and buy sight unseen.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 06-20-20 at 21:13.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    lv119 is more comfy if you’re running plates, med, and mags without a lot of excess gear. (Think more practical civi loadout) it’s also incredibly modular
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 06-20-20 at 21:52.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    lv119 is more comfy if you’re running plates, med, and mags without a lot of excess gear. (Think more practical civi loadout) it’s also incredibly modular
    I figure if you have a lot of excess gear, it's best to go with a harness system like the AVS anyway.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the SPC with lvl 4 plates and SS micro fight rig and dangler. I love it. Very lightweight and sturdy

Feedback Score
    How is Crye in terms of customer service? They seem like they make great stuff, but I've seen a lot of complaints about CS and shipping delays?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Plate Carriers: Crye Airlite SPC vs. JPC 2.0 vs. Spiritus LV-119 Overt

I actually traded my AVS for a Spiritus LV119. I loved the AVS, but I didn’t need that much carrier. The AVS is an extremely scalable system though. The LV119 is a very very well built PC. Super light weight, and very modular with all the different parts from Spiritus themselves as well as the multiple aftermarket options out there for it. I really love mine. The tough part about the LV119 is availability.

As far as Crye’s quality, it’s top notch! Their customer support from my one experience was very positive. I ordered a set of the AVS harness pads, since everyone else was out of stock. I heard all the horror stories about getting shipping notifications then the dates getting pushed back over and over. I called to verify that what I ordered was actually in stock and that it was actually shipping on the date I was sent. It was a pleasant and very short conversation. My order shipped when they said it would and I had it in about a week. This obviously may vary greatly depending on what it is that you order.

Feel free to PM me and I can get some pictures over to you of my JPC2.0, LV119,and AVS setups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rfairman; 06-22-20 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfairman View Post
    I actually traded my AVS for a Spiritus LV119. I loved the AVS, but I didn’t need that much carrier. The AVS is an extremely scalable system though. The LV119 is a very very well built PC. Super light weight, and very modular with all the different parts from Spiritus themselves as well as the multiple aftermarket options out there for it. I really love mine. The tough part about the LV119 is availability.

As far as Crye’s quality, it’s top notch! Their customer support from my one experience was very positive. I ordered a set of the AVS harness pads, since everyone else was out of stock. I heard all the horror stories about getting shipping notifications then the dates getting pushed back over and over. I called to verify that what I ordered was actually in stock and that it was actually shipping on the date I was sent. It was a pleasant and very short conversation. My order shipped when they said it would and I had it in about a week. This obviously may vary greatly depending on what it is that you order.
    Pretty much most of what I was going to say.
    The bold part there is probably key to ordering direct from them - check to make sure what you want is in stock before ordering. Otherwise you're better off ordering from a vendor like OpTactical, or on a trade/swap/EE site. I owned 2 AVS carriers, and bought both with all components directly from Crye. One of them had a sewing error with a plate bag and needed to be replaced. I had no issues with shipping, delays, or CS. That being said, this was a few years ago, so YMMV.

Per AVS function, Fairman is smack on; it's probably more carrier than most people need for an "average" setup. Something people often overlook is the weight and profile you are adding on with a carrier like that, before you even add any gear to it; sometimes it's better to give up a little comfort for less weight and and a "slicker" more "agile" setup. That being said, the AVS does seem to work as advertised; the weight bearing is really good, and the whole carrier "hugs" your torso very well. Especially if you add the internal back/side velcro pad set.
    This is actually one reason why I too am interested in some of the new designs with the stiffened/ supported cummberbund, like the SPC and Ferro V5 FCPC.

I've never been a fan of the JPC; the Version 1 editions had longevity issues (apparently there was some thing where they were never meant for either the long-term use, or the heavy loads people were slapping on them), and I feel like the 2.0 is a bit overpriced for what it offers, either in regards to other well-established full-scale carriers on the market (MMAC/6094/APC/etc), as well as some of the new carriers (like the LV119) that have arrived in recent years.
    I also never had a use for a zipper back panel, so I never bought one. YMMV, this is all merely personal opinion. But if I were to get a JPC, definitely the 2.0. The swappable front flap is nearly worth the price of admission alone (you can't take it off on the 1.0).

I would put it this way; if you think the JPC 2.0 is going to be your thing, for around the same price I'd take the plunge on the SPC; if you are lucky it will be more friendly to weight-bearing, if you hate it, there are a lot of JPCs floating around the barely-used markets online, and someone will be sure to want to try an SPC at some point... (or return it to vendor).

Unless you're hell-bent on a Haley/VS/SS/other placard, for Crye flaps compatible with the JPC/SPC, my personal preference is the AVS M4 w/ bungee ($60). This way you can stick kydex inserts in it for a very Esstac-ish front shingle.

Aside from the JPC/SPC/LV119, you may also want to look into the Beez Aptum carrier.
    I got one recently and it seems to offer a lot of what the others do for around the same price, maybe more or less, depending on what options you pick, or what options you need your carrier to have. The nice thing is, even though the price has gone up a bit since I purchased mine, if you want some minor customizations you can request it, and they'll likely do it since they are made to order.

The other thing I personally like is I can swap a lot of different cummberbunds with it, since it's simple Velcro-attach (IF they are the right width to fit); for example, right now I have a shorter VS Scarab 'bund on it because the standard laser-cut 'bund was to long for me. However, I'd bet I could have requested a shorter cummberbund from them and they would have done it.
    Due to the lasercut design, it's also very slick, and if you want a concealable carrier, should do well pulling double duty for this use, as well as Overt. I mean, I am a skinny bastard, and with 1" plates and a light overshirt, it's almost unnoticeable.
    NOT that a SPC/LV119/JPC would be worse (aside from the zippers) in this role; merely so you know it can be done if you wish.

The downside is, it's going to take like a month to get it, and if you want to run a zip-on back panel, you will need to use a zipper adapter kit.
    I'm also not a big fan of the front flap, which seems pretty un-needed on a scalable carrier like this, but again, I'd bet you could have them custom-omit it, if wanted.
    The shoulder pads are also kind of pointless; for the $20, you might as well use the SKD PIG/Systema MK1/2 pads, or for more $$ the Velocity Systems slip-over/velcro-over Scarab-type pads.
    The kangaroo pouch is also pretty tight, and not fully velcro lined (and also the hook is on the plate side) but since this is the age of placards, who really cares.
    My only real gripe about this carrier so far is it won't work with Crye AVS front flaps....

Especially since their MOLLE front flap I got with it kinda sucks; straps are to long to meet the 2" velcro strip at the top of the Kangaroo pouch, and for some disconcerting reason, the flap velcro is also sewn on in the reverse of the velcro in the Kang' pouch (so it meets hook to hook).
    Granted, it's an easy "snip and resew" project if you have even a basic sewing machine, BUT, might as well save yourself the trouble and either use a G-hook or Swift-clip front flap/placard. Again, this can all probably be fixed by custom request, I'm just bitching because they didn't already think of it.

Other than those minor issues, the carrier itself seems solid, looks well sewn, and the lasercut material seems stiff and is doubled up where it needs to be (so, unlike the SPC, your plates aren't exposed to direct elements).

As far as the Ferro FCPC V5, I have owned other Ferro stuff (Slickster, Gen 2 & 3 FCPC, pouches), and it is ok, but I have not owned a V5 FCPC, so it looks kinda like an SPC concept, but for $500+...I'd probably try the SPC first...Or a Strandhogg/AAC. YMMV.

Of course, IMO this choice all comes down to overall weight of your intended loadout. If it's coming to more than 20-25lbs WITH plates (no more than 28-30 TOTAL, including the carrier and all pouches/placards)... you might want to get the AVS/'Hogg/etc, because most light carriers aren't great at weight bearing, and no amount of shoulder pads will help that.
    I can vouch for the AVS being GTG @ 40lb. I'll bet there are people who have carried more with it.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-23-20 at 13:52.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Jellybean! That's a LOT to unpack, but I like doing that anyway!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Here is a great Garand-Senpai video that I totally forgot about that will explain the JPC 2.0 VS SPC better. Goes into some issues with radios, as well as stuff with my previous comment about exposed plates.

"Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I've been running the SPC for almost 9 months now, previously I had run customized Mayflower APC's. The SPC is a very solid carrier the primary impetus for the change was to get the zip on and off back panels. Since making the change I have started to really like several other options that the SPC has to offer.

What I liked about the APC and why I ran them for about a decade. Swift Clips and the easy ability to run other cummerbunds, namely the FS Tubes Cummerbund and the Tubes side strap. This set up worked very well even with side plates, radio(s) a rack and a wide hydration pack on the back. I was half tempted to cut off the front flap for better function with a rack or placard, but didn't.

The SPC has poor organic Swift Clip compatibility, so I started using the AXL Advanced AVP's this combined with the huge Velcro field provided great security for a rack or placard. Since then I have switched over to the Crye AVS front flaps as they just flow better with the design of the SPC. I also like the redundancy of the snap on the bottom of the flaps, for when I am in water/mud.

The SPC Cummerbund was something that I had been hesitant about at first as I really liked the Tubes for fast on and off and it was nice to be able to quietly open the cummerbund on hot days for more air flow when taking a break. The SPC cummerbund is actually pretty fast on and off, which was a nice surprise for me. The rigidity of the whole system is very nice and provides great support for side plates and radio(s). There are two options for side plate mounting either to the front plate bag or to the cummerbund. Having tried both and have settled on mounting the plates to the front plate bag, this eases entry and exit issues with a plate swinging around and smacking me in the face, it also keeps the plate more anterior for a little better protection for your inferior lung and heart IMHO. Along with this positioning of the side plate being faster in and out of the carrier. The cummerbund is also far less hot than the FS Tubes cummerbund, I have only been out on days right around 100-102 with it so far and haven't felt the need to open the cummerbund when taking a break for more air flow. Also I feel less retained heat than previously when climbing hills/mountains. There was a change for me from ICW plates to stand alone plates at the same time so this is probably largely where this less retained heat sensation is coming from. My last APC had spacer mesh added to the inside of it so airflow between the plate bag and me feels about the same with the two different PC's.

The zip off back panels are awesome! I either run the Crye molle back panel with a med pack or I run the GGG 1 to 3 pack on the back all depending with what I'm doing. I like how fast I can switch between the two config's I really like having the ability to have additional gear along with the added shoulder straps which were different levels of annoying to inhibiting. The big old med pack frequently is left on an ATV or a vehicle so it is only a slight frustration. The new radio pouches are also very nice, I really like the adjustable height when I am using them to stash a couple extra mags. When fully loaded they whole system carry's very well the weight feels very well distributed. The whole system dries very quickly after going for a swim or being out in the rain for a few hours. The thin shoulder straps have no effect on shouldering a weapon. But when fully loaded the only weakness of the system shows through and that is the unpadded shoulder straps, if you are wearing the whole system all day, night into the next day you know it. So far I have tried the AVS shoulder pads and other than being huge they do add comfort, currently I am running my old Mayflower shoulder pads which are of a stretchy fabric (but these are rather long). The sleeve for the shoulder pad needs to be stretchy (or huge) as far as I can tell for the shoulder rip away feature to function. I have seen other guys running the Ice Plate pads as well, but I haven't tried them to see how they function. I am half tempted to sew up something that's not super huge, or long that will offer some minimal padding.

All and all I am very happy with the SPC, the size, form and function all work very well in the mountains and in and out of vehicles. The ability of the SPC to distribute weight around me is very nice. The whole system actually functions as a system that is very scalable depending on needs. What I really like is unlike a full vest system the SPC has minimal effect on how I get in and out of a vehicle, when driving I don't feel like a bloated whale when trying to get behind the wheel. This is also true when crawling into other tight spaces and when going over wall's/fences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast