Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carriers: Crye Airlite SPC vs. JPC 2.0 vs. Spiritus LV-119 Overt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had the AVS, JPC, SPC and Spiritus, for years I have run them in training and deployed. Honestly, if I had to go with one and one only, I would go with the JPC 2.0. I really like the way the front flaps work (I wish more manufacturers made comparable ones). It’s super reliable and a refined product.

I also like the SPC but it does have a few nuances. Mainly exposed plates and the need for the proprietary radio pouch. You can’t use typical Velcro “wing” pouches on the sides of the front plate bag in conjunction with the SPC cummerbund. I do like the stiff cummerbund and how it’s compatible with all the other Crye/JPC/AVS parts.

I don’t have anything against spiritus but it ends up being super expensive. they don’t have a lot of options for the placards which means you have to find another manufacturer. The back panels have been coming out for years now but we still don’t have them. They don’t have molle on the back so you can’t just put the pouches you want on there. They don’t mount PTTs and rear antennas very well. I have an extra set of plates at the house so it’s just an emergency plate carrier. I don’t use it for real “work” or training. It is a well built product and I really like the way they attach the cummerbund to the rear plate bag (which might be my only complaint on the JPC, it’s not bad but the spiritus system is better).

All things considered if you were my brother asking for advice and he had to chose one, I personally would tell him to get the JPC 2.0.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have thoughts on the Velocity Systems SCARAB vs. the Crye and Spiritus carriers? Quality? Modularity? Comfort?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not to derail the thread but have any of you guys running the SPC tried attaching the HSGI AO placard? I can’t find anything in search about the actual width of the front velcro on the SPC and if the HSGI will be too wide.
    Men are not here to gain worldly comfort, they are here to strike a blow against evil and leave a mark on their world. ~Dennis Rainey

Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. ~ Francis Chan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Does anyone have thoughts on the Velocity Systems SCARAB vs. the Crye and Spiritus carriers? Quality? Modularity? Comfort?
    I'm a fan of Velocity Systems, and their quality is very, very good; I've found their stitching to be top notch.

I am a big fan of the SCARAB shoulders - the articulation is probably the best on the market, and they are seriously comfortable, as is the carrier in how it moves with your body. This is most noticeable if you've ever felt "binding" in plate carrier shoulders - it simply doesn't exist with the SCARAB shoulders, which translates into your plates staying where they are supposed to, and the entire system fitting really well.

In terms of modularity, there are a number of aftermarket products which are compatible with the SCARAB, and a few of the JPC-style cummerbunds can be retrofit if that's your thing. Velocity Systems also sells the carrier in a number of different configurations on their website, so if by "modular" you're asking if there are different options, then yes, it's modular in that you can mix and match many components. The zip-on/off back attachment is supposed to only be compatible with the Velocity Systems panels, but I haven't tested this out.

There is a noticeable difference (in a good way), in how the carrier handles a load even when the carrier weighs in excess of 25-30 lbs.

I can't speak to the Crye carriers, but by comparison, the Spiritus LV-119 is "lower profile" in that it's slick and their shoulder straps are marginally wider/less bulky than the SCARAB shoulders. What you gain in the width and lack of bulk, you do sacrifice in the mobility and relative comfort though, and this tends to exhibit itself under weight/awkward shooting positions.

The Spiritus LV-119 is comfy enough and is a solid plate carrier, but my preference goes to the SCARAB in terms of comfort, profile, and relative modularity (if you are willing to do the research to find what is compatible).

Also, good luck finding an LV-119 in stock; unless you're willing to pay a huge premium on the secondhand market, they are very difficult to come by.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    I'm a fan of Velocity Systems, and their quality is very, very good; I've found their stitching to be top notch.

I am a big fan of the SCARAB shoulders - the articulation is probably the best on the market, and they are seriously comfortable, as is the carrier in how it moves with your body. This is most noticeable if you've ever felt "binding" in plate carrier shoulders - it simply doesn't exist with the SCARAB shoulders, which translates into your plates staying where they are supposed to, and the entire system fitting really well.

In terms of modularity, there are a number of aftermarket products which are compatible with the SCARAB, and a few of the JPC-style cummerbunds can be retrofit if that's your thing. Velocity Systems also sells the carrier in a number of different configurations on their website, so if by "modular" you're asking if there are different options, then yes, it's modular in that you can mix and match many components. The zip-on/off back attachment is supposed to only be compatible with the Velocity Systems panels, but I haven't tested this out.

There is a noticeable difference (in a good way), in how the carrier handles a load even when the carrier weighs in excess of 25-30 lbs.

I can't speak to the Crye carriers, but by comparison, the Spiritus LV-119 is "lower profile" in that it's slick and their shoulder straps are marginally wider/less bulky than the SCARAB shoulders. What you gain in the width and lack of bulk, you do sacrifice in the mobility and relative comfort though, and this tends to exhibit itself under weight/awkward shooting positions.

The Spiritus LV-119 is comfy enough and is a solid plate carrier, but my preference goes to the SCARAB in terms of comfort, profile, and relative modularity (if you are willing to do the research to find what is compatible).

Also, good luck finding an LV-119 in stock; unless you're willing to pay a huge premium on the secondhand market, they are very difficult to come by.
    I actually pulled the trigger and got a SCARAB about 3 weeks ago. There's about a 6 week lead time on it, but that's okay. Unlike with the LV-119, I can at least get it! I also go their 3 mag kangaroo placard and the MOS Tactical First Spear tube adaption cummerbund. Now comes the waiting for the carrier itself...
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Personally, I prefer the JPC of all the options you listed. Another option to consider within the price range of the JPC is the ATS Aegis v2 if you would consider another carrier. ( https://atstacticalgear.com/ats-aegis-plate-carrier-v2)
    I've found the JPC to distribute weight (marginally) more effectively than the ATS, but ATS is (marginally) better quality imo and less hot to run (but still hot).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I actually pulled the trigger and got a SCARAB about 3 weeks ago. There's about a 6 week lead time on it, but that's okay. Unlike with the LV-119, I can at least get it! I also go their 3 mag kangaroo placard and the MOS Tactical First Spear tube adaption cummerbund. Now comes the waiting for the carrier itself...
    Congrats! Sounds like you're well sorted out. Spiritus' marketing has been a double-edged sword for them... many of their items are practically unobtainable commercially at the moment.

Not taking away from their success, because they make great gear, but there are a number of smaller companies such as A&A Tactical AXL Advanced, and Arbor Arms that are creating additions to Crye, Spiritus, First Spear, and Velocity Systems existing gear that offer some major improvements to their functionality.

Feedback Score
    So, before supplies dry up even worse, I want to get a plate carrier. As much as I like the Crye AVS, I don't have that kind of money right now. I've been leaning towards the SPC due to the weight and the fact that apparently it distributes the weight better than a lot of other minimalist carriers with the structural cummerbund. But I know the JPC is one of the flagships in this category of PCs, though I've heard it's not as comfortable. But I don't know as much about the LV-119. How is it in terms of comfort/weight distribution and quality compared to the other two?

I'm asking here because there's nowhere around where I can really try and compare them, so I've got to take an educated leap of faith and buy sight unseen.
    I'm issued the AVS and its not a bad carrier but I would never buy one, some of our guys buy the JPC or they go and get the TYR PICO. I have a personal PIG Plate Carrier that I used before and I like it. The problem with the AVS is it's super hot because of that cage set up. If you're not wearing side plates and a bunch of other stuff on your plate carrier then get something smaller and light weight like the JPC. The downside I've seen of the JPC is that one of them doesn't have a drag handle and it has the built in front flap/mag holder. I don't know much about the spiritus but they have a cult like following. If you're just a regular dude then don't buy the AVS.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I ordered a Scarab myself around the same time (July 9th) and my confirmation email also states 2-6 weeks. I'm wondering what the likelihood is that Velocity will get them out on time. I've heard they are swamped and the orders are through the roof currently. I was expecting the 12-16 weeks that the website states, but was pleasantly surprised at the 6 week estimate. We'll see I guess.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I ordered a Scarab myself around the same time (July 9th) and my confirmation email also states 2-6 weeks. I'm wondering what the likelihood is that Velocity will get them out on time. I've heard they are swamped and the orders are through the roof currently. I was expecting the 12-16 weeks that the website states, but was pleasantly surprised at the 6 week estimate. We'll see I guess.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I ordered the 3 mag Swiftclip placard and I got it in less than a week; same deal with a single mag pouch. I think a lot of their smaller stuff is more readily available, but the carriers, since they're somewhat customized and not just ready to order, take longer. I emailed them after two weeks and asked if they expected the lead time to be on the shorter or longer end, and they said definitely longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods
    I'm issued the AVS and its not a bad carrier but I would never buy one, some of our guys buy the JPC or they go and get the TYR PICO. I have a personal PIG Plate Carrier that I used before and I like it. The problem with the AVS is it's super hot because of that cage set up. If you're not wearing side plates and a bunch of other stuff on your plate carrier then get something smaller and light weight like the JPC. The downside I've seen of the JPC is that one of them doesn't have a drag handle and it has the built in front flap/mag holder. If you're just a regular dude then don't buy the AVS.
    It looks bulky, but the reason I considered it was the weight distribution and the customizing, but it seems like most of the carriers are pretty customizable these days. But considering that I'm probably never going to be humping around a SAW or anything heavy like that, it does seem, from what you and most other people I've talked to here said, like it's a bit much for an ordinary guy like me.

I don't know much about the spiritus but they have a cult like following.
    I understand they make pretty good stuff and have had good reviews from reliable sources, so their reputation for quality is apparently deserved. I think the cult following comes from the fact that they have a good social media presence and a bit of humor and personality. Plus, the fact that they offer so many combinations in so many colors helps grab people's attention.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 08-07-20 at 21:33.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast