Thread: 9mm suppressor. I need some advise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

9mm suppressor. I need some advise

I recently built an AR in 9mm. I love it.

I'm running a 5.5" barrel and I'd like to put a suppressor on it. What my goal is, is to be able to shoot it without earpro.

I've decided that I'm not really up for spending $1K and then having to wait a year to get one, so I've decided that I'm just gonna do a Form 1 and build myself one. I do have a lathe and milling machine.

My questions are about materials and size.

Is aluminum ok to use for 9mm? I'd like to keep it light.

How physically big does the can need to be to be effective for my purposes? I'd like to end up with about 10 or 11" of total barrel/suppressor length. Is this doable?

Are there any big drawbacks to going with a direct thread?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Aluminum works, but I’d look at stainless for my first 2 baffles for longevity. Additionally, consider that aluminum rules out ultrasonic cleaners.

A 5-5.5” can will provide limited sound suppression, particularly in a Form 1 can. It will be better than nothing, and will be rewarding if you’re cool with the tradeoffs. I’m working on one myself, with a 1.75” outer diameter, and a Keymo adapter, which makes it a bit longer than your setup. Keep in mind that with supersonic blasting ammo, even 9mm is louder than you might expect. I negligently shot some supers recently through a very good Form 4 can without earpro and regretted it in about half a mag, and I’m already a little deaf.

I have a love-hate thing with direct thread. If you Rocksett or Loktite it, great. Its the most efficient way to mount a can, if 100% suppressed. Otherwise, I’d look into Dead Air or YHM QD options.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-22-20 at 04:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of course if you run the 147gr rounds,those tend to be subsonic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aluminum is fine for 9mm.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I was gonna roll my own suppressor like you are considering; I would look at a tube diameter larger than 1.5". The new suppressor for the Next gen weapons are all super thick and shorter.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Op check out;

https://form1suppressor.boards.net/

SDTA Ti tubes are the most available 4/5.8” etc. down side is they haven’t updated the damn threading to ASR and still use the old D cell pattern.

Muted Machine makes an ASR pattern adapter so that gives you more options. There are a few ASR pattern boosters on the market, Torrent for example. They have an adapter for other boosters as well.

Gallagher has Al 60* 1.355 cups in stock last time I looked.

Quell tech has 5” and 7.5” ASR tubes in stock at the moment too. I’d go this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna chase down the leads. I don't have a problem going with a tube with a 1.5"+ diameter. I actually really like free float tubes and the ones I use have an inside diameter of 1.75"

Are there any m-lok rails that have an inside diameter that big?

I also forgot to ask about Ti and heat. From what I understand they don't do well together. That's the only reason I was considering aluminum.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 06-21-20 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    Ti is fine for pistol rounds, even rifle as long as its not FA.
    Take a look at the yhm r9 if you can wait, or something like the griffin or cgs offerings.
    You only spend 6-700 and wait a year.

If you are set on f1, id go with ti or ss personally