Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Brake for Bergara HMR Pr0

Feedback Score

Muzzle Brake for Bergara HMR Pr0

I completed the long rang rifle course with my new Bergara HMR Pro in 308. Learned a ton a bout precision shooting.
    1. I need a muzzle brake .. I couldn't consistently track impact at distance but when shooting other rifles with brakes I could. I've looked at Precision Arms Fat Bastard, Precision Armament M4-72 and Seekins Precision AR ATC. This will be shot from the prone a lot and used in hunting some.
    2. Using a yoga mat as a shooting mat is not ideal.. hours of laying in prone gives sore ribs.
    3. I need to practice.. reading winds and mirage is tough.

Feedback Score
    The more I'm researching it appears that diminished accuracy is a concern with adding a muzzle brake. Any experience with a brake that helps accuracy or is this rifle dependent? Is a flash suppressor a better route? I really like the idea of a brake to be able to see impact of shots better... any advice on this is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A suppressor is the way to go. But if it must be a brake, I've read that you want one that doesn't act like a comp. You want even, left/right venting so you're not "spring boarding" your barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A suppressor is the way to go. But if it must be a brake, I've read that you want one that doesn't act like a comp. You want even, left/right venting so you're not "spring boarding" your barrel.
    Thanks Markm.. I'm trying to avoid all suppressor and SBR stuff. Just not a fan of the process. But one of the guys at the course this past weekend was shooting a 6.5 Desert Tech rifle with a can and it was very pleasant.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The suppressor on your bolt gun is VERY worth it. I don't really enjoy cans on my ARs, but the bolt gun is heaven. I wish I knew a really good brake. I've shot next to guys that have great 308 brakes where you feel the wind off of it instead of the shock/blast.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'll second what Mark has said about a suppressor being the most pleasant option.

Of the brakes you've listed, the APA Fat Bastard is the most effective, but all are obnoxious to anyone around you. The Area419 Hellfire is another similar option. Super effective at reducing recoil (often more than 50% of the total recoil impulse, IIRC) but also really concussive.

The most precision rifle brakes I've been around are the Insite Arms Heathen, and some of the PVA products. The Heathen is probably the best in terms of managing concussion while still drastically reducing recoil, but it's also expensive.

I have an older PVA Rocket Scientist on my match rifle. It blows the blast out at essentially 90 degrees to the left and right of the bore axis instead of 45 degrees back towards the firing line.

Still, for recreational shooting I'd much prefer a suppressor. Or possibly a hybrid suppressor/muzzle break device like the Area419 Maverick.

Feedback Score
    I’ve always been reluctant to buy a suppressor because I hate the idea of buying a bit of gear that is so specific to one caliber, or use.

That Area 419 Maverick has my interest piqued though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I’ve always been reluctant to buy a suppressor because I hate the idea of buying a bit of gear that is so specific to one caliber, or use.

That Area 419 Maverick has my interest piqued though.
    Any decent 308 silencer will work acceptably on any rifle.

Pick your largest caliber and anything smaller works.

Feedback Score
    I understand that, but the Area 419 product being modular and incorporating a muzzle brake if desired is very interesting. Plus the first stage being the serialized part makes it easy to upgrade later if other modules come to market. I also read that the construction allows the unit to easily be re-cored if advances are made.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I understand that, but the Area 419 product being modular and incorporating a muzzle brake if desired is very interesting. Plus the first stage being the serialized part makes it easy to upgrade later if other modules come to market. I also read that the construction allows the unit to easily be re-cored if advances are made.
    I'd be willing to bet that the 30 cal Maverick would do nearly as well in the recoil reduction department as the 6.5, even on something like a 6mm.

I'm seriously tempted, but haven't completely wrapped my head around the price yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast