Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Brake for Bergara HMR Pr0

Feedback Score
    The price isn’t too bad considering the configurations you can achieve. Plus if you want you can order 2nd stages and brakes that are caliber specific if you choose at a later time with no stamp since they’re just parts.

So you have the ability to achieve 6 different devices functionally with just one stamp with what comes in the box. So $1500/6 is $250/device. If you had to pay that plus $200/stamp you’d have almost as much in tax stamps as the price of the Maverick.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The price isn’t too bad considering the configurations you can achieve. Plus if you want you can order 2nd stages and brakes that are caliber specific if you choose at a later time with no stamp since they’re just parts.

So you have the ability to achieve 6 different devices functionally with just one stamp with what comes in the box. So $1500/6 is $250/device. If you had to pay that plus $200/stamp you’d have almost as much in tax stamps as the price of the Maverick.
    I'm not sure about ordering second stages, though if the brake is considered an end cap it should be something you could buy separate. You could legally send your Maverick back to Jon and have him swap the internals and the second stage. But I don't think you'll be able to buy those parts direct anytime soon.

ATF tends to treat any internal suppressor parts (baffles or anything containing baffles) as regulated and illegal for anyone other than a manufacturer or dealer to possess unless sold as part of a registered item. Probably the best example of this is what Dead Air ran into with selling wipes for their Ghost 45 pistol can.

I'd love to be wrong, but there's a reason you don't see companies selling expansion kits for their modular suppressor designs.

To your other point, I agree that the ability to run it as a full sized and K can with and without a brake is a big part of the appeal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I'll second what Mark has said about a suppressor being the most pleasant option.

Of the brakes you've listed, the APA Fat Bastard is the most effective, but all are obnoxious to anyone around you. The Area419 Hellfire is another similar option. Super effective at reducing recoil (often more than 50% of the total recoil impulse, IIRC) but also really concussive.

The most precision rifle brakes I've been around are the Insite Arms Heathen, and some of the PVA products. The Heathen is probably the best in terms of managing concussion while still drastically reducing recoil, but it's also expensive.

I have an older PVA Rocket Scientist on my match rifle. It blows the blast out at essentially 90 degrees to the left and right of the bore axis instead of 45 degrees back towards the firing line.

Still, for recreational shooting I'd much prefer a suppressor. Or possibly a hybrid suppressor/muzzle break device like the Area419 Maverick.
    thanks for the feedback. When you speak of the concussion using a break is it at the shooter or when next to the rifle in the firing line? The worst I've seen at that was the standard M1A socom 308 with 16 inch barrel with whatever brake it uses and it was impossible to be next to that and concentrate to shoot.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    thanks for the feedback. When you speak of the concussion using a break is it at the shooter or when next to the rifle in the firing line? The worst I've seen at that was the standard M1A socom 308 with 16 inch barrel with whatever brake it uses and it was impossible to be next to that and concentrate to shoot.
    Mostly on either side of the rifle. Even the worst of the popular precision rifle brakes are designed to keep the majority of the concussion away from the person behind the rifle, though feeling some blast as a shooter is pretty common with any brake that directs gasses back at 45 degree angles away from the direction of fire.

Another thing to consider, depending on where you'll be and the type of shooting you'll be doing, is that any sort of obstacle or barrier around your position will direct concussion from a brake back towards you. Shooting under cover, out of an enclosure where you can't place the muzzle outside, in or around any sort of concrete, etc. can direct the blast towards you. None of that is an issue with a suppressor.

I generally use plugs and electronic muffs, and usually wear eye pro as well. I've found that the only way to avoid a headache & ringing ears after spending a day at a match is to double up on ear pro.

It doesn't matter how much a brake reduces recoil if you develop an unconscious flinch/startle response from the concussion. It's hard to see trace and impacts with your eyes closed (hench the eye pro and doubled up ear pro).

But some of that may just be me. I know a lot of guys who refuse to wear eye pro when shooting precision rifles, and who seem to get by with just a pair of custom electronic ear plugs.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-26-20 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I took a long range class almost a month ago also and added an Area 419 Hellfire to my Seekins Havak 6.5PRC for the class. Recoil was not much more than my AR. It's self timing and took about 15 minutes to install. One thing I like about the Area 419 products is that they have an adapter so that you can take the brake off and direct thread a suppressor to the rifle if you want. I believe the Fat Bastard and the Little Bastard brakes can be set up the same way. Regardless the brakes are horrible for anyone next to you. In the class I took I was next to a guy and every time he was shooting I had to close my eyes and duck my head down until after he shot. That was the worst thing about the class.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 06-26-20 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I took a long range class almost a month ago also and added an Area 419 Hellcat to my Seekins Havak 6.5PRC for the class. Recoil was not much more than my AR. It's self timing and took about 15 minutes to install. One thing I like about the Area 419 products is that they have an adapter so that you can take the brake off and direct thread a suppressor to the rifle if you want. I believe the Fat Bastard and the Little Bastard brakes can be set up the same way. Regardless the brakes are horrible for anyone next to you. In the class I took I was next to a guy and every time he was shooting I had to close my eyes and duck my head down until after he shot. That was the worst thing about the class.
    I'm looking at the area 419 website and I see the hellfire muzzle brake but not the hellcat.. is this the same brake?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It’s Hellfire. I just made the correction

Feedback Score
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger. Probably going with the area 419 Hellfire. Still considering the Insite Arms Heathen also. Any input from those who have used both? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have both the Hellfire and Heathen on 2 different 6.5 rifles.

Hellfire seems more effective at the expense of noticeably more muzzle blast. I think the Hellfire has the better mounting solution between the two as well.

Both are good at what they do though.

Feedback Score
    I ordered the area 419 Hellfire. I installed it on my Bergara. The installation instructions and video reference a dot on the front and 2 horizontal lines on the sides. It has the the lines but no dot. The only thing besides the the 2 lines is a 30 in reference to the caliber. The 2 lines I've got horizontal but since there is no dot that it says should be on the top not sure if the 30 should be on the bottom are top? The ports look identical so not sure it matters if the 30 is on the top or bottom. I called Area 419 and a few times and left a message but haven't gotten a response. Anyone seen this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast