Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Weight-conscious 308 “Battle Rifle” setup

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    TX/VA/NC
    Posts
    579
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I ended up at 8.07lbs with a 16” Faxon gunner barrel (before they were trash), 14.5” Zev wedgock HG, phase 5 bolt release, and H4 PWS heavy buffer.


    Heavy AR10 std Carbine length heavy buffer
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

    I’ve since upgraded to a BCM mini foregrip (added .4oz) and a full LMT Enhanced BCG, that’s a full oz heavier than my previous BCG. So, 8.156lbs or 8lbs 2.15oz with no optic.

    I could be under 8lbs if I started swapping small parts for lightened (V7 or 2A) equivalents like receiver pins, mag catch, selector lever, grip screw, sling QD Mount, forward assist, etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why do say faxon is trash? Have they gone down hill in accuracy? I have a gunner 5.56 16in barrel I built for my sister and a 10.5 on a pistol
    I built for my dad before he passed. They’re not match grade barrels but for the money they’re good barrels.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    FL -Where it's summer 10.5 months out of the year
    Posts
    4,083
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Why do say faxon is trash? Have they gone down hill in accuracy? I have a gunner 5.56 16in barrel I built for my sister and a 10.5 on a pistol
    I built for my dad before he passed. They’re not match grade barrels but for the money they’re good barrels.
    I’m a long time user of Faxon barrels. All made early in their commercial tenure. Huge fan.

    But their QC has slipped as of late (past 18-24 months, at least) and they have released a large number of lemons into the wild in that period.

    I have a first gen 5.56 18” gunner with rifle gas in my wife’s carbine and 16” mid gas 7.62 gunner in my AR10. Both are amazing and both shoot lights out.

    Just calling balls and strikes. I hope they get their sh** together.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

    "The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I’m a long time user of Faxon barrels. All made early in their commercial tenure. Huge fan.

    But their QC has slipped as of late (past 18-24 months, at least) and they have released a large number of lemons into the wild in that period.

    I have a first gen 5.56 18” gunner with rifle gas in my wife’s carbine and 16” mid gas 7.62 gunner in my AR10. Both are amazing and both shoot lights out.

    Just calling balls and strikes. I hope they get their sh** together.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a Faxon SOCOM 16. The brass was all sorts of wrong because of the rough chamber. I contacted Faxon asking about sending it back to get another or for them to fix it at least. They told me instead to get a honing brush in 223 and honing oil and to fix it myself.

    Did it work? Yes. But that ain't the point. They're supposed to not let that get out or at least make things right and not telling a customer to fix it himself.. They used to have a good one until their social media guy quit. Things that make one go hmm.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Why do say faxon is trash? Have they gone down hill in accuracy? I have a gunner 5.56 16in barrel I built for my sister and a 10.5 on a pistol
    I built for my dad before he passed. They’re not match grade barrels but for the money they’re good barrels.
    See my post above, I quoted the wrong person by accident.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    FL -Where it's summer 10.5 months out of the year
    Posts
    4,083
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    I have a Faxon SOCOM 16. The brass was all sorts of wrong because of the rough chamber. I contacted Faxon asking about sending it back to get another or for them to fix it at least. They told me instead to get a honing brush in 223 and honing oil and to fix it myself.

    Did it work? Yes. But that ain't the point. They're supposed to not let that get out or at least make things right and not telling a customer to fix it himself.. They used to have a good one until their social media guy quit. Things that make one go hmm.
    Yep. Heard many accounts like yours. Which is why I stopped recommending them a while ago.

    Shame.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

    "The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,398
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Taking them in. I have an extra waffle stock around, as well an SL-S. I still want to actually shoot the thing to confirm function before taking it apart again to bed the barrel and (possibly) switch to a standard receiver extension. The UBR is awesome, but I think that going to an SL, if not an M4, stock will still balance well with this setup. We’ll see.
    Though a trip to the range has not made it to the top of my priority list (despite having two firearms to test now), I did get the PTG 308 headspace gauges in: GO goes, NO-GO no goes. So all good, and no need to try the FIELD.
    As another positive, checking headspace forced me to entirely strip a bolt for the first time. So good experience.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,398
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    A standard Armalite two-port brake will suck up some recoil at the expense of a little more blast noise.
    You piqued my interest here. I’ve got the Warcomp queued up, but it is heavy, longer, and absent a suppressor currently.

    How much of a difference does this actually make? It’s cheap enough for me to try it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •