Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight-conscious 308 “Battle Rifle” setup

Feedback Score
    I was pretty disappointed when Nathan left. He was one of the best technical PR guys I’ve ever seen for a starting company. I think a LOT of their quick success is due to his support and technical product knowledge - seems they’re kinda riding the coat tails on cruise control now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I exchanged a few messages with Nathan. He was very very good.

I have a couple Faxon barrels in 5.56, a gunner with the small diameter muzzle brake. I still haven't shot that lightweight build. And a 16" Heavy Flame Fluted Match barrel which I've only put maybe 20 quick rounds through. Seemed like it might be OK, just got busy after that.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-13-20 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BTW - Very good build post, quite interesting. Looks like you are on track.

I've been waiting for some kind of standardization and weight reduction in the .308 platform since 2009, but I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought a couple SCARs over the years. They were a 800-1000 bucks less than they go for now when I bought them.

Frankly, I'd much rather have a light weight more standardized reasonably priced high quality AR 308, but it seems like the industry just seems to continue to step all over itself.

As an aside: I work hard to keep the weight down on my rifles, but the damn optics and mounts drive the weight up dramatically on the .308s. Maybe we could talk about what type of lighter weight yet still fairly robust optics combo would help keep the weight down on a 308.

COME ON GUN INDUSTRY, I want a light weight reasonably priced standardized AR 308 that doesn't have to use a Titanium BCG to save weight. Then I'll sell my SCARs.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-13-20 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m pretty happy with the weight, just haven’t gotten to shoot the darn thing yet. My closest range is pistol only, and the local rifle range was closed for classes the one time I made it over. In a holding pattern. I have gotten fairly accustomed to the current weight, and it is completely manageable.
    As a side note, since the barrel is such a substantial portion of weight: this barrel stripped is only .2 oz more than my 16” BRT Recce/SPR barrel.
    The only places I see as practical sources to reduce weight are in the receiver designs themselves (ala G2, CM672, POF) and the stock. Obviously, there are severely lightened DPMS-style receiver sets out there from 2A, etc.
    Edit: By using a smaller upper receiver, a smaller BCG would also be necessary/possible, which would also do a lot to lighten the overall package.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 07-13-20 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Yes, it took me this long to get to a range and shoot. Tried twice in the past two weeks, both times they were booked out for the day. Just an hour wait today, so I ran with it.

It works.

I ran SIG 308 HT 150gr, Remington 308 150gr Core-lokt PSP, AE 7.62x51 149gr FMJ, Federal Fusion 180gr BSP, and old Portuguese surplus M80 clone. I literally grabbed a bunch of whatever was under $2/rd and in stock at Cabela’s, plus the Portuguese stuff from DSA.

It feels accurate. Considering this was at a 25 yd range and I wasn’t really trying, I won’t claim any sort of performance. I’d imagine it can already outshoot me. The SIG 150gr seemed most naturally accurate, but all wasn’t bad. The Portuguese stuff felt like it shot the best (smoothness); probably just old, and I understand the 7.62 is a lower pressure than 308.

The range officer ogled and asked me about both the guns I was testing...so I pushed it a little with the firing cadence. He didn’t say anything. With iron sights, it is noticeably not as smooth/fast to shoot as 5.56, but not bad. Perhaps this is a benefit of the rifle length gas and 20” barrel, too.

One failure to fire? Maybe. No idea there; thought the mag was empty but the bolt hadn’t locked back, dropped the mag, checked the chamber, saw the round, dropped the bolt, fired, and it went bang. This may have been a brain fart on my part. I think this is most likely.

Two failures to feed. Brass is marked by the shoulder. Both were the Rem Core-lokt. I’m thinking this may just not be a good round for a semiauto? If anyone has knowledge/experience with it, please let me know. Snapped a picture below.

I did drop a 1-6x on for the heck of it, and it may stay on the rifle. Just nice. Kneeling on the floor with the rifle on the bench (not classy, no shame), looks like a couple 3 rd groups (all I attempted, this was more a function check for feeding, etc) at an inch or a hair under, and a couple more at 1.25”. That’s eyeballing it, I didn’t think about using the Ballistic-X app until...just now. That stinks. Threw away the targets, as I knew they weren’t impressive.

It moves pretty easily in a square range.
    With just the A2, the recoil is obviously more than 5.56, but I am pretty sure I could shoot it for a long while without getting worn down. Perhaps this is a benefit of going in with “low expectations.” However, I’m absolutely putting the Warcomp on. It may just be my lack of experience, but the rifle consistently moved both up and right when firing. Why not move to mitigate that...

I’ve got the stuff to lap receiver and bed barrel. Once that is done, I’ll take it out again.

Just fun. If you read what I write on the forums, I don’t claim to be an expert, great shot, or secret squirrel. I love the tech side, as much as I can absorb, and I still get a little joy from actually getting to the range. This was fun.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Addendum:

Meant to mention...

As expected, the handguard did not get hot. This was nice. I still wore a glove, and could feel heat emanating off the barrel a bit, but it wasn’t like shooting the same number of rounds through the 11.3” with ALG EMR.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Updated the first two posts to reflect some adjustments.

Quick version: Changed out UBR2 to LMT’s complete receiver extensions assembly. With a Colt waffle stock and with sling, sights, and ranger band (!) removed, weight is 7 lb 10.0 oz..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice thread and pics, congrats on getting your build down to luggable weight for an AR10. Definitely in sync with the 'weight conscious' trend, I've been going that way, in the last couple years added a lightweight BCM upper, lighter BCM stocks on a couple lowers, lighter optics on several rifles, and a lightweight Tikka precision bolt gun that I just posted about last evening.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Got the EE-purchase B5 Bravo in.

Stripped rifle (no sling or sights/optic) is now 7 lb 12.9 oz

I find this very acceptable. Comment on the B5 Bravo: I like it. It is 9.6 oz on my scale, with a good cheek weld (need to actually shoot with it), QD sockets, and soft buttpad. Also, just as a bonus, it locks up tightly on the LMT extension.
    The rifle “feels” a little less balanced than with the SL-S, but I’m not sure this matters in real life at all. Again, I need time actually shooting it. I like both sticks, but the B5 fits the theme better than the SL-S and has better features than the Colt M4 stock. It seems like the best balanced option.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Agreed. BA is the new Faxon.

But, as you said, vintage Faxon barrels are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My older 20" Faxon Gunner (5.56, natch) is the shiznit. I swapped it for an 18" Rainier Mountain series (CHF chrome lined) and then found out just how good the Faxon was.

No worries, my brother asked me about a 20" barrel for his AR, so he my get a light, accurate coyote hunting upper.

Andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast