Thread: Ring Height Opinions Needed

Feedback Score

Ring Height Opinions Needed

I am an old guy and recently purchased a 16" Centurion CM4. I have not shot this type of stick since the late 1960s when I was in the service, so I am really a newbie with respect to ARs. I am going to mount a 34mm LPVO 1-8x scope and am looking at using a Badger modular mount which comes in 3 ring heights (1.54", 1.7" and 1.9") and am wondering which size to get. Most of my shooting will be mostly off a bench using a bipod, some prone, and also for SHTF home protection. I am not going to do any 3 gun competitions or pig hunting. I was thinking 1.7" might be the best compromise, but thought I'd get some perspectives from others. I have also considered the Scalarworks mount which comes in 1.57" and 1.93" heights as it appears to be a pretty slick and easy to mount QD, although pricey. Thoughts???

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If shooting mostly off the bench or prone I'd recommend a lower mount. I think 1.5x is a good a good compromise. A Geissele “National Match” Scope Mount is 1.350”. I primarily use 1.93" for the type of shooting I do (which is not off the bench). I like my Scalarworks, yes thay are spendy.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I run the Geissele's and Bobro mounts. I like my optics low to the barrel for good cheek weld, my RDS are higher.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    So maybe a guideline to follow would be something like this:

Prone = low 1.35"
    Bench = low to mid height 1.35" to 1.5+"
    CQB = 1.93 or more

I know JP's 34E is 1.47", but they are on back order. Nightforce XTRM is 1.5" and Badger has 1.54". I also do like Scalarworks at 1.57", but not sure if that might be too high.

Thoughts on any of these.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I ordered JPs mount as it is now back in stock. Seems like a very solid mount for the money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by txglock View Post
    I am an old guy and recently purchased a 16" Centurion CM4. I have not shot this type of stick since the late 1960s when I was in the service, so I am really a newbie with respect to ARs. I am going to mount a 34mm LPVO 1-8x scope and am looking at using a Badger modular mount which comes in 3 ring heights (1.54", 1.7" and 1.9") and am wondering which size to get. Most of my shooting will be mostly off a bench using a bipod, some prone, and also for SHTF home protection. I am not going to do any 3 gun competitions or pig hunting. I was thinking 1.7" might be the best compromise, but thought I'd get some perspectives from others. I have also considered the Scalarworks mount which comes in 1.57" and 1.93" heights as it appears to be a pretty slick and easy to mount QD, although pricey. Thoughts???
    My post is late, but I have the Badger mount in 1.7 and it is a good balance for shooting off-hand and from the bench. I personally found the higher 1.93 mounts are a bit too high for my tastes.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Rifle setup with just the scope and no BUIS, no matter what type/position shooting you do, I would go the lowest mount available usually 1.34-1.36 inches.

Rifle with BUIS with either FSB or foldable front sight, go with a 1.5 inch mount.

This is all personal choice and works for me and my needs. It may not be what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by txglock View Post