Thread: H4895 load data request

Feedback Score

H4895 load data request

I'm looking for 5.56 Nato pressure level load data for the Barnes 70 gr. TSX, the Hornady 75 gr OTM bullet or the Nosler 77 gr CC bullet. I've looked at several threads and, with a few exceptions, I don't see much love for H4895.

Some context and background: My son now has "my" Colt 6920, and so now I'm working up loads for a new BCM 16 inch LW Recce. With the Colt I used 24gr of H4895 with the Barnes 70 gr TSX and it was very accurate. The Barnes manual shows 24.4 as the max. With this gun, I'm getting some primer flattening, but no extractor marks. Any one use H4895 with the TSX and, if so, do you have a pet load to share? I know every gun is different.

I am almost out of 75gr Hornady's, which I run with 22.5 gr of H4895. This shoots to almost the same point of impact as the TSX load, so I use the TSX load for deer and pigs, and use the 75 gr OTM for home defense and coyotes. I can't find any more of these, so I'm thinking of switching to the Nosler 77 gr CC bullet, which I can find. Any pet loads for the Nosler 77 gr with H4895? The 22.5 gr load with the Hornady 75 gr pill is very accurate, but I have not tried anythin hotter out of the new gun. With the 75 gr pill and 22.5 gr of H4895, I'm getting moderate primer flattening, very similar to the TSX load mentioned above. No extractor marks.

I'm used to loading for bolt guns, and I am trying to work up hotter loads that are still accurate, but I am being cautious with pressure signs on a gas gun. I've gone up .4 grains on both loads, in .2 gr increments, and the primers seemed about the same, but the accuracy was slightly worse tho the sample size was small. Thoughts? I have a large supply of 4895, and I'd love to get a bit more horsepower, but I'm hesitant to push too far.

Feedback Score
    Back in my old days of service rifle comp I ran 75 gr Hornady and 80 SMk exclusively with 24 grains of H4895 in both. I used Winchester or Lake City brass and CCI bench rest primers. Those are both at or under the Hodgdon max data for 223 and I physically could not cram any more in there, it just wouldn’t fit reliably in the cases. It might take a whole extra grain to get to an approximate 60k psi nato load and I don’t think you will enjoy that, it’s just too bulky of a powder.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My suggestion is to look at published data, work a load for your gun and be safe verses chasing velocity or pressure thresholds. Go in .2 increments and see what is the best performer with no pressure signs. Also remember that if using good cases, pressure signs on the case may be masked. As most find out, certain factory loads have crimped primers and powder formulation to achieve the desired data.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Thanks, gentlemen.