Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steiner PX4i

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaN View Post
    Right, even at 300x, my hit rate goes up a lot on a 10" flasher at 6x vs 4x.
    That's just you. Optics help you see better, NOT shoot better.

I have a 4x LPVO and an 8x.... I can play with magnification anywhere under 8x, and honestly the difference from 4-6 or 6-8 is minimal. I would chose an optic over many other factors than MAX magnification. For my typical carbine matches that have tons of targets in the 300-400 yard range I take 'only' the 4x. Shouldn't my 8x optic give me an advantage? And If I am being really honest I would probably be able to clear the stage without magnification of any kind. I regularly hit a 12x20" target at 300 with just a RDS. At that distance the red dot covers almost half the target, yet it doesn't seem to ruin my hit ratio.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

I have a 4x LPVO and an 8x.... I can play with magnification anywhere under 8x, and honestly the difference from 4-6 or 6-8 is minimal. I would chose an optic over many other factors than MAX magnification. For my typical carbine matches that have tons of targets in the 300-400 yard range I take 'only' the 4x. Shouldn't my 8x optic give me an advantage? And If I am being really honest I would probably be able to clear the stage without magnification of any kind. I regularly hit a 12x20" target at 300 with just a RDS. At that distance the red dot covers almost half the target, yet it doesn't seem to ruin my hit ratio.
    Lots of people like to say that but since when does seeing better not equate to shooting better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

It's been my experience that the more magnification I have, the quicker I can see the miss and adjust for another shot.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Meh...it's all about context. Pretty sure I've mentioned it here before.

Old way was 1x of magnification minimum per 100y. If you wanted 600y...get a 6x optic. However, this did not account for size.

I say 1x mag per #100y / MOA of target.

Say you're shooting a 12x12 @ 600y; with the above, your minimal amount of magnification would be about 3x, but if we shrink down to say a 3" circle plate (1/2 MOA), I'm going to want a minimum of 12x. See what I'm getting at?

I and some of my guys fell into the trap of what works on the flat range doesn't always translate to the field. I can hit steel at 1/2 mile with 4x magnification, but I've also been behind that same 4x top end scope at work looking at something 40-50 yards away thinking: "F*** I wish I could see a little better"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123