Thread: Cloud Defensive OWL or Arisaka or Modlight?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cloud Defensive OWL or Arisaka or Modlight?

• Cloud Defensive OWL
    • 600 SERIES E2HT LIGHT
    • 600 SERIES E2XT LIGHT
    • MODLITE PLHV2-18650 LIGHT

I'm looking for a light to use in a "ranch" and "farmhouse" environment. Right now my main rifle is a KAC SR-15 LPR.

I don't want so much light I blind myself if I shine it on an interior wall or a beam so tight I don't have good situational awareness. I need light to at least 100 yards with 200 being preferable which may put my two goals at odds with each other or require two different rifles with different lights which is an option.

The OWL looks attractive because of beam color (temperature) and is used for target id. By target id not so much bad guy shoot good guy don't but, is that furry critter a cat, raccoon, possum, etc. or is that brown blob downrange a fawn or newborn calf being harassed by a dog or coyote and which one is which? Durability to me means surviving on a tractor and the normal knocks and bumps that happen in a UTV (side-by-side).

I'm waiting for stuff to come back in stock and I will likely go with a 16" house rifle so I can keep the KAC setup for outside critter duties. This suggests buying two lights instead of one.

Is the MODLITE OKW-18650 LIGHT overkill for my KAC SR-15 outdoors? Does it have such a concentrated beam it isn't viable inside 50 yards? How about situational awareness with effects to night vision (not gear, eyeballs ) and the ability to recognize stuff in the spill or lack of spill?

If I go OKW MODLITE, does this affect the choices? Like maybe OWL indoors and OKW outdoors? For mounts, I expect to use Arisaka offsets but, I can be swayed in a different direction. How do the Arisaka 600 options fit in the mix? Especially the 600 E2HT with its lower price point compared to the OWL though price isn't the main concern and the extra cost for tailcaps isn't missed in the budget.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post

I'm looking for a light to use in a "ranch" and "farmhouse" environment. Right now my main rifle is a KAC SR-15 LPR.

I don't want so much light I blind myself if I shine it on an interior wall or a beam so tight I don't have good situational awareness. I need light to at least 100 yards with 200 being preferable which may put my two goals at odds with each other or require two different rifles with different lights which is an option.
    An OKW is THE light for that sort of range. Bounce it off the ceiling and/or floor for indoor use to make it workable in that scenario. I'm pretty much out of the 600 series in favor of 18650 and 18350 lights.

Arisaka is a great mount and is what I use, but recently picked up a Reptilia torch body and like it very much.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-23-20 at 17:03.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I went modlight 18350 because on paper, it just makes more sense.
    For your purposes, be sure to compare the v2plh to the okw.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    An OKW is THE light for that sort of range. Bounce it off the ceiling and/or floor for indoor use to make it workable in that scenario. I'm pretty much out of the 600 series in favor of 18650 and 18350 lights.

Arisaka is a great mount and is what I use, but recently picked up a Reptilia torch body and like it very much.
    I came here to say this, but you read my mind.

For reference, I have OKW, PLH, OWL, and E2HT. THE OKW is most appropriate for OP requirements.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I came here to say this, but you read my mind.

For reference, I have OKW, PLH, OWL, and E2HT. THE OKW is most appropriate for OP requirements.
    Ok! OKW it is for the KAC SR-15.

How about for dedicated indoor use with the shorter rifle? OWL? V2PLH? Maybe the entry-level Arisaka 600?

Feedback Score

How about for dedicated indoor use with the shorter rifle? OWL? V2PLH? Maybe the entry-level Arisaka 600?
    The plh is awesome inside. Tons of wide spill.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

The OWL is very nice on a short weapon as the light and pressure switch are in a nice tight package but it is heavy. The PLHv2 is similar in output performance and is lighter especially with a 18350 body. Either one is well suited but so are the Arisaka lights, I have been making the move away from 123 batteries so I'd choose one of the other two. You really can't loose here.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I suggest going with the slightly longer 18650 battery for basically twice the run time especially on a longer rifle. The new PHLV2 is probably best all around choice for you as it has more spill and a smoother hot spot. I see the same details at distance between the OKW and PHLV2 but there is something about the power of the OKW that just makes it a light saber. 200 might be a bit much for good PID.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The plh is awesome inside. Tons of wide spill.
    Yeah, for a dedicated indoor gun, I like spill, and don’t need crazy power. PLHv1, Elzetta flood lens(but hate their tape switch), even the Malkoff E2D on an Arisaka 600 are great indoors. But they get out of their element outdoors or in open commercial structures. In comparison to the latest high candela lights. The PLH is more multipurpose than the other spilly lights, so its probably the best choice if there’s any chance of using a dedicated indoor gun, outdoors. It reaches pretty well, and really lights up a room.

For an all around gun, the PLHv2 and OWL are similar to each other, but different colors, and work great.

Any of these lights destroy the lights I grew up with in all scenarios, indoors or out. But, those were for CQB only, NODS outdoors.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-25-20 at 05:09.