Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Geissele Super Duty

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

New Geissele Super Duty

Got the notification that 14.5 pinned CTN Warcomp DDC Super Duties were back in stock @ Primary Arms and had it in hand 90 minutes later.

First impressions:

It's well balanced, but a bit on the hefty side. Probably about the same as my wife's Colt SOCOM +A2X with URX 4 and maybe 1/4" longer due to the MD. We'll see how it handles once I get the Surefire, sling and RMR moved over.

SSA-E X is pretty Goddamned good. Much more crisp and about a pound lighter than my G2S. My wife prefers the extra weight of the G2S so I threw it into her gun and put her ALG into my sons's 6720 that I borrowed for bedside duty (pictured).

The "Geissele" grip has a really good sandpaper like texture, but the angle is trash. I'm putting a Magpul on it. The B5 SOCOM stock does not impress me. Plenty of flashing right where you'd put your face, also bulky and a bit overweight. Again Magpul.

I thought I'd hate the Maritime bolt latch. It's ****ing HUGE. I like to stay as streamlined as possible and the Mil-Spec piece never gave me any problems, but it makes it much easier to lock the bolt back. We'll see if it helps in reloads.

The trigger guard is magic. Even my wife commented on it. It's one of those things that you don't always think about until you're hours deep into a carbine course in BFE Texas, it's 1,0000,000 degrees F, humid enough to swim in the air, your gloves are soaked with sweat and the "ears" of the receiver are rubbing your middle finger raw. I gotta fix this on everyone else's guns too now...

It looks like it was assembled properly. Everything is staked that should be staked and the BCG is objectively beautiful. That's coming from someone that spends his days in a machine shop. I'm interested to see how this nano coating works out. Receiver fit is actually good, not that I'm obsessed over something trivial like that but it doesn't rattle nor take a hammer to push out the pins.

Headed to the range after work to sight in and get some shooting impressions.

Anything specific you guys want to know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Cool. Shoot the piss out of it and let me know how it does.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

I was just supposed to meet up with my buddy and get our guns sighted in last night. He just picked up his 1st rifle, a Stag 15 Tactical. Ended up being 5 of us (wives, plus sister) taking over the entire firing line. So I ended up supervising and coaching.

Only 120 rounds fired, I did get a rough zero using the Frank Procter reduced distance (10Y) 50/200 target. 1st round was low and slightly left, but I thought that had it pretty well dialed by round 5. I spent the rest of the time, doing up drills on 6" circles and working on offsets on 2" dots.

I was too pre-occupied to have paid attention to how it shot. Someone had a ND in the lobby while we were signing in and I had a couple inexperienced shooters to look after.

Went to another range during lunch today to confirm/refine my supposed 50Y Zero. Top right was my reduced distance 50/200 target shot 10 Rounds at 10y. Top left was 1st attempt to confirm at 50. Bottom Right was my last attempt. Obvious flyer is obvious.

My vision sucks, I had the dot barely visible and the target was in the shadows at 50. The only thing I did different from 1st confirmation to the next was that I came off the optic and reacquired my sight picture after each shot after that flyer. Something, something about fundamentals...

Come to think of it, I totally forgot to turn my dot brightness down when shooting the reduced target, that might account for some slop. But it seems like those Proctor targets will definitely get you in the ballpark, but you 100% need to confirm & refine. I didn't bring much ammo, only 30 rounds because I was supposed to be a real quick confirmation trip. Heh.
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That’s a sweet setup man. How do you like running the RMR as a primary? I’ve thought about doing that before.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    That’s a sweet setup man. How do you like running the RMR as a primary? I’ve thought about doing that before.
    It works okay indoors as a HD optic. Outside with bright sunlight overhead the emitter can get washed out. I actually experienced the wash out today with the lightbulb in my lane. I covered it with my hand and finished trying to zero.

But damn it's light and comes with a 1 MOA dot...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Finally got that half day "Rifle II" class in. 96 Deg & sunny. Just 1 degree shy of the record high in the area. Heat advisory was in effect, but it's August in Texas... There's always a heat advisory. This was not a high volume course. Only ran about 150 rounds, but heavy on movement, shoulder transitions, shooting from cover/concealment, shooting from non standard positions & malfunction clearance.

-Zero malfunctions that weren't induced. No issues clearing FTE's with the ACH and Maritime bolt catch. Actually significantly easier with the G pieces over standard mil-spec components.

-FDE made the gun less hot compared to the black guns after standing around in the Texas sun. I intentionally did not wear gloves.

-The 5 Axis trigger guard really irritates my middle finger a lot less. Mil-spec trigger guard usually would have rubbed me raw/made me bleed. Again, I intentionally did not wear gloves.

-The dot stays on target. I didn't have to do much of anything to keep the muzzle down. I took my wife's Colt SOCOM with me and intended to swap over at some point but got caught up actually training.

-CTN Warcomp will kick up dust from the prone more than an A2.

-We were primarily shooting small steel and not for groups, but I don't recall missing but for a couple of shots on one of my snake runs where I got out of rhythm.

I think I'm at about 400 rounds so far. Still wish it were a bit lighter up front...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    The trigger guard is magic. Even my wife commented on it. It's one of those things that you don't always think about until you're hours deep into a carbine course in BFE Texas, it's 1,0000,000 degrees F, humid enough to swim in the air, your gloves are soaked with sweat and the "ears" of the receiver are rubbing your middle finger raw. I gotta fix this on everyone else's guns too now...
    This one? https://geissele.com/geissele-enhanc...ger-guard.html

How does it improve upon the Magpul one?

Feedback Score
    I'm glad you too found the Geissele BCG particularly impressive in how well it is machined, etc. I had the same experience.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post

Not that one, the fancy looking 5 Axis deal. But basically, they're flush with the "ears" of the receiver and the edges are beveled/broken. I'm sure the "enhanced" one is the same though. I also put FCDs in the other guns that accomplish the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post

The BCM and Magpul models are both pretty good with their polymer trigger guards. By no means does that belittle the G model.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast