Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Hills 87 Gr Barnes 556?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Black Hills 87 Gr Barnes 556?

Anyone know anything about this round? A buddy has a chance to scoop some up.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Semi auto functional subsonic maybe?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    Semi auto functional subsonic maybe?
    Could be.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Anyone know anything about this round? A buddy has a chance to scoop some up.
    What kind of bullet is it? solid Cu? OTM? I didnt know Barnes made a 87gr projectile, the only .224 Ive seen that goes that heavy is their 85gr match burners.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    What kind of bullet is it? solid Cu? OTM? I didnt know Barnes made a 87gr projectile, the only .224 Ive seen that goes that heavy is their 85gr match burners.
    No idea. Supposed to be some sort of military load for... "special warefare"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No idea. Supposed to be some sort of military load for... "special warefare"
    So it fell off of some truck. Hah.

Let me know by private message if any of that M855A1 or 955 falls off any more trucks too, asking for a friend up here in Yavapai.

Feedback Score
    Back in the ‘90s Powell River Labs had an 87gn powdered tungsten core bullet that had a really high BC. The Tier 1 snipers used them because they were frangible for hostage recovery. I got to test a small batch.

PRL went out of business awhile ago so maybe JSOC requested somebody make something similar.

Barnes makes the RRLP bullet so this could be similar but with powdered tungsten. I believe the PRL bullet was about the same length as a 69gn SMK.
    Last edited by sniperfrog; 06-24-20 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    Barnes makes the RRLP bullet so this could be similar
    Yeah. I've loaded and shot hundreds of those for closer steel practice. I'm thinking these are something different.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    Back in the ‘90s Powell River Labs had an 87gn powdered tungsten core bullet that had a really high BC. The Tier 1 snipers used them because they were frangible for hostage recovery. I got to test a small batch.

PRL went out of business awhile ago so maybe JSOC requested somebody make something similar.

Barnes makes the RRLP bullet so this could be similar but with powdered tungsten. I believe the PRL bullet was about the same length as a 69gn SMK.

it might be, 87gr is a very specific weight that no other bullet has other than the PRL projectile.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    This may be your bullet Mark; "Barnes 5.56mm 85 Grain OTM"-

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/r...m-85-grain-otm
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-25-20 at 06:07.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast