Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first AR build (budget)

Feedback Score
    Here's the Updates I promised.

I still have more plans, but they will have to wait until later. I still need to test fire this!

The entire rifle

The Knights Armament RAS 4

The Fake Aimpoint

The MaTech Rear Flip Sight (BUIS)

As I said before, I do have plans for this rifle, but they will have to wait until I finish my next tour in the sandbox. This rifle has taken me close to 6 years to build, from the time I bought my first piece to present. I have been piecing the actual build together for the last few months as parts arrived.

BTW, the compensator is an evaluation piece I received from Todd @ AKConcepts. It is their Dave Neth Tactical/Competition Compensator (DNTC).

None of this build would have been possible without the assistance from my brother, HotOlds442! He traded necessary parts with me, and pushed me to finish it.

He has a nice rifle project in the works too!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    I do like the looks of that Compensator! I hope it works out for you, if it does, I'll probably have to get one for my 16" build.

I got the chance to shoot mine over the holidays, and it didn't go as well as planned. I took just over 300 rounds with me on a snowy trip to the local hills, and only got to shoot 13 rounds. When I screwed the buffer tube in, I thought I had it in far enough to hold the buffer retainer in place, but it ended up being one turn too loose, so eventually the buffer retainer popped out and jammed the hammer. It got nicked up just enough that it wouldn't go back in the hole, and the spring was trashed. I was lucky enough to have spares.........at home. So I shot half a box through the .45 and then headed home.
    I've got it all ready to go again, so if we don't get too much more snow at elevation I'll try again this weekend. My RRA upper is here, but the 16" barrel is still in Texas waiting for the guy to figure out how to remove it from his upper with no vise and no receiver blocks. He's already destroyed the FSB, so I imagine the barrel won't pass my inspection and I'll have to ship it back to him.

Feedback Score
    Glad no one got hurt!

Maybe the guy in Texas should spend the money to get the necessary tools, or ship it off for someone else to do it. At this point I would be leary of the deal...cause if he can butcher the FSB, what has he already done to the barrel.

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

Feedback Score
    I am QUITE leary about making the trade. I will have the barrel gauged for straightness, and any exterior marks will result in the barrel being sent back to him. I'm just not into the old "another man's junk" theory. Here's the thread that caught my eye, before I put two and two together, hope it doesn't violate any board rules by posting to another site....

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=304561

I want to redo all of the mags I've got with PermaSlik, and then change the followers. Then all that's left is to get a full-floater for the front end.

Feedback Score
    I read the post, at this point, I would save your shipping money and tell him the deal is off. If he has ruined the A Frame already, there is no doubt in my mind he probably has done worse to the barrel in it's lifetime.

Not to mention that someone as backwoods as that would probably not care for the barrel much to begin with. Few things are worse than buying an AR barrel that has been shot to shit and has never been cleaned.

I might even post over there to piss someone off!

Feedback Score
    Finished for now. All I have yet to do is take it out and shoot the snot out of it some more. I want to wring all the problems out of it to ensure reliability.

I couldn't have got this far without the help of several different people. The buttstock was a gift to me from a very nice guy (DA_Bunny at AR15.com), the Shims are from our very own GotM4, I purchased a H2 buffer, bolt reliability package and CS buffer spring from G4IGrant. The Buttpad and Rail Protectors are from MagPul and lastly I got the Strike Plate from TheMalabarFront.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Looks good dude!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I will do more with it after my next deployment.

For now, I am done with it. It's time to shoot and play!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12