Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arisaka 300 seems Dim

Feedback Score

Arisaka 300 seems Dim

I have a m300 that just doesn’t seem as bright as it should be. The only other 300 lum light I have to compare is an old Streamlight TLR which seems about 10-15% brighter inside the house (this is for a HD rifle) Also there are asymmetrical rings in the spill. Is the normal? The spill from my Surefires and Streamlight are clean and clear. Could the head be defective?

I’ve changed out batteries...same thing.
    Last edited by OldState; 06-24-20 at 23:43.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    I have a m300 that just doesn’t seem as bright as it should be. The only other 300 lum light I have to compare is an old Streamlight TLR which seems about 10-15% brighter inside the house (this is for a HD rifle) Also there are asymmetrical rings in the spill. Is the normal? The spill from my Surefires and Streamlight are clean and clear. Could the head be defective?

I’ve changed out batteries...same thing.
    Is it dimmer or is the tint more yellow?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Is it dimmer or is the tint more yellow?
    Definitely dimmer if I can figure out how to link a picture of the spill and beam spot I’ll put it here. It just doesn’t look like any other light. It’s an non symmetrical halo/ring with a spot in the middle. SF and SL lights don’t look anything like this which makes me think I have a bad head....but this is my only Arisaka so I don’t know what is normal. If this is normal I don’t think I’ll ever buy another one.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Arisaka sources heads from Malkoff Devices, and depending on which head they have a disclaimer:

"If You are a White Wall Hunter, This is NOT the Head For You (it does not have a beautiful, symmetrical beam on a white wall).

Our replacement head requires that the threads on your body be bare metal. Some earlier Surefire bodies did not have bare threads. If this is the case with your body, you will need to clean the anodize off of the threads."

Are you using rechargeable CR123's? I believe they recommend only using primary CR123's or Li-ion 16650. If the body has bare threads and the battery is in check, I think either company would be willing to take a look and see if something is wrong.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    White Wall Hunter. Epic. Talk about knowing your audience.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    Arisaka sources heads from Malkoff Devices, and depending on which head they have a disclaimer:

"If You are a White Wall Hunter, This is NOT the Head For You (it does not have a beautiful, symmetrical beam on a white wall).

Our replacement head requires that the threads on your body be bare metal. Some earlier Surefire bodies did not have bare threads. If this is the case with your body, you will need to clean the anodize off of the threads."

Are you using rechargeable CR123's? I believe they recommend only using primary CR123's or Li-ion 16650. If the body has bare threads and the battery is in check, I think either company would be willing to take a look and see if something is wrong.
    Interesting and I never saw that. Using regular batteries. Either way my main concern is that this light is dim compared to the SL of the same lumens. Meaning, it’s visible easier to identify objects down my hallway, etc with the SL. I honestly didn’t really notice the halo until I recently shined both on a wall to compare the brightness. The halo just made me concerned it may be defective.

That said why can’t Malkoff produce a light head that looks like the rest of them? As of now I don’t see the value in Arisaka. I recently picked up a 1000 lumen SF600 pro with the new low profile integrated mount for $199 from Big Daddy. The SF300 Pro (same price as the 600) would be substantially brighter and clearer than the Arisaka for the same money considering you have to buy a mount for the Arisaka.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Interesting and I never saw that. Using regular batteries. Either way my main concern is that this light is dim compared to the SL of the same lumens. Meaning, it’s visible easier to identify objects down my hallway, etc with the SL. I honestly didn’t really notice the halo until I recently shined both on a wall to compare the brightness. The halo just made me concerned it may be defective.

That said why can’t Malkoff produce a light head that looks like the rest of them? As of now I don’t see the value in Arisaka. I recently picked up a 1000 lumen SF600 pro with the new low profile integrated mount for $199 from Big Daddy. The SF300 Pro (same price as the 600) would be substantially brighter and clearer than the Arisaka for the same money considering you have to buy a mount for the Arisaka.
    Agreed. If you can find a Surefire M300/600 on sale, it can be a better deal to just go with it unless you need a different mount. Here’s a pic I just took. Old Surefire M300 on left. I believe it’s under 200 lumens but don’t recall the specific number. Definitely tighter beam pattern. Arisaka/Malkoff M300 on right, I believe 300 lumens. They both do what I ask so no real complaints, just a comparison photo:

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Malkoff heads Arisaka sells are made for maximum throw. Trying to make a comparison inside your home and/or against a wall is not going to highlight what they are designed for. Go outside against something at a known distance and compare the throw and spill of the lights. Different lights for different needs.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    The Malkoff heads Arisaka sells are made for maximum throw. Trying to make a comparison inside your home and/or against a wall is not going to highlight what they are designed for. Go outside against something at a known distance and compare the throw and spill of the lights. Different lights for different needs.
    I understood that before I bought it. The light is visibly dimmer. The wall exercise was just to see the over all output. If you were to go into a dark room and shine my 300 lumen Arisaka and the 300 lumen Streamlight TLR on the ceiling and look at the floor you will see the room as a whole is about 10% dimmer with the Arisaka indicating to me it’s not really 300 lumen regardless of the beam focus and candela.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Arisaka 300 seems Dim

Why don’t you call Gene Malkoff and ask him if it seems to be performing properly?

Which exact head do you own? I have an E1 Hyper and an E1T, but no Streamlights.
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-26-20 at 13:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast