Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASP batons, useful or not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    I picked up an ASP baton quite a few years ago for, well why not? Never been in LE, nor had any training with it beyond a general understanding of beating something with a stick.

I was thinking of sticking in in a Go bag I am setting up for a pretty specific purpose (going and helping my adult daughter egress from a not-so-nice part of town, should that become necessary). I guess as a non-lethal tool for get-the-hell away from me situations, or maybe some other utilitarian purpose, breaking a car window or whatever.

I think I’ve read over the years that they’ve fallen out of favor with LE, I assume due to changing use of force policies.

Do they serve any useful purpose, or should I leave it out?

Thanks, and if this is a stupid topic, I apologize in advance.
    I was a police officer for over 20 years. The ONLY thing I EVER used my ASP for.... was clearing out spider webs in places I needed to go.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    With quality training (not LE style training), they are effective less than lethal tools. They have their place on the use of force continuum.

For a civilian, more range than a blade. good to have an option that isn't OC or taser between hands on & shooting

Feedback Score
    I have carried one in my truck for 20+ years and never have used it for anything other than thumping my tires.

Feedback Score
    They have their place on the use of force continuum.
    Civilians don't have a use of force continuum.

There is force and deadly force, with nothing in between.

A baton will be considered a deadly force implement no matter how you use it or intend it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    I have carried a 14 oz SAP all over the world. It works!

No comment on what the laws might be where you live, but if I can use a 14oz sap to stop me from getting my ass kicked it is a good thing. If I can survive and go home, then I am not calling 911. On the way home if the sap was not legal for me to carry it would disappear.

But I would be going home hopefully with very little to no damage.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Monadnock and PeaceKeeper RCB are better collapsible batons than ASP IMO.
    Those RCB's seem harder to find and limited to LEO from what I saw. There was a great thread here a few years back where those with extensive experience with various batons gave feedback, along with some who still found the 4-6 D battery maglight a show stopper. I wish I could find that thread, it had a ton of good info. It appear the Monadnock and the RCB go about getting the mass of the baton at the more effective point differs.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post

A baton will be considered a deadly force implement no matter how you use it or intend it.
    It appears this ex LEO not a fan of them for civi or LEO, but way out of my lane:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post

Not at all universally true and heavily dependent on jurisdiction

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Those RCB's seem harder to find and limited to LEO from what I saw. There was a great thread here a few years back where those with extensive experience with various batons gave feedback, along with some who still found the 4-6 D battery maglight a show stopper. I wish I could find that thread, it had a ton of good info. It appear the Monadnock and the RCB go about getting the mass of the baton at the more effective point differs.
    I remember that thread, it was indeed a good one. I once broke an aluminum ASP trying to destroy a laptop (long story)- Monadnock are indeed much more stout. Never used a RCB but a six-cell Maglite is always in my patrol bag. They are truly a blunt force instrument.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Not at all universally true and heavily dependent on jurisdiction
    If you pick up a stick and hit someone with it, it will be charged as assault with a deadly weapon or the equivalent.

Same if you have a baton in your pocket. It’s no different than using beanbag rounds or rock salt. Both can kill, so if you don’t need to kill someone why are you shooting them? If you need to kill, why are you using rock salt?

You may convince the DA differently later, or convince a jury, but at the scene that is what the arrest charge sheet will show.

If you don’t need to defend yourself or another from imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury, don’t use a deadly weapon. If you do, use something better than a stick.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-27-21 at 21:02.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast