Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASP batons, useful or not?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've carried one on duty for the last 20 years.

Used it once for real. Scratched my back with a whole bunch of times. Good door knocker

I've had very mixed results with tasers. They are great for intimidation. Not so great when someone's wearing anything more than a t-shirt. The baton can be a good use of force option for cops. Especially in colder weather where heavier clothing is common.

I don't carry one in my go bag. I don't think they're very useful for non LE. They require strength and some space to use. No good in a hallway or if you're in the car. That space and weight in your bag is better taken up with ammo, water, etc.

You might also want to review your local statutes. Some states restrict collapsible batons in the same manner as brass knuckles, sap etc.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Good door knocker
    FANTASTIC door knocker! That’s about the only use mine ever gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Be sure you know the laws where you will be taking the go bag with an asp in it.
    In MI it is illegal to possess one unless you are a cop.

Feedback Score
    Used one a total of one time for its intended purpose and have busted out a few windows with one. Very effective on both when used properly. They make lightweight ones that are part aluminum and solid steel ones. Training to use one is the key and most police training on their use in the last 20-30 years is neutered PC training. Would not recommend them for non-LE carry because they’re illegal outside of LE in more places then not. On the other hand a three or four D cell Maglight is just as effective and it’s dual purpose.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Most LE agencies have stopped using/carrying them because a better option became available - the taser. The other reason is that it’s hard to use it without it looking like you’re beating someone with it. My agency still authorizes the carry of them and we go through yearly training on how to use them defensively.
    They could be useful for a civilian in a go bag. The collapsible one get fairly small and wouldn’t take up much room. If you already have one, I’d put it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Maybe it’s regional, but all the uniform agencies I interact with down here in the south still issue them. The only agency that I know of that doesn’t issue or allow them was my previous one and that was a non-uniform state agency.

Of all the taser deployments I’ve witnessed none have worked. My previous shift partner tased this guy multiple times w/no effect (probes got stuck in his clothing) the suspect said he was glad we didn’t use the baton. His reason, “those things hurt”.

I fear we, as LE, have become too reliant on the taser.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ---
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombey View Post
    Maybe it’s regional, but all the uniform agencies I interact with down here in the south still issue them. The only agency that I know of that doesn’t issue or allow them was my previous one and that was a non-uniform state agency.

Of all the taser deployments I’ve witnessed none have worked. My previous shift partner tased this guy multiple times w/no effect (probes got stuck in his clothing) the suspect said he was glad we didn’t use the baton. His reason, “those things hurt”.

I fear we, as LE, have become too reliant on the taser.
    Truth.

Tasers are great until their not. Nvm the fact that it really is a team oriented tool be it a dry stun or probe deployment.

Hitting someone with a blunt object be it in a LE or citizen capacity nearly always has a quantifiable affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies, especially the advice from the LEO’s, I really appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I got really hurt when tasers and ASP's failed on a subject who didn't want to go to jail. I got rid of the ASP and bought a KOGA baton. Problem solved.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They’re awesome for whacking cactus, clearing spider webs, holding down barbed wire fences and pushing out the side mirror on your passenger side from the drivers seat (although the short one I scored don’t reach any more so I guess I’ll just have to keep using my rifle if I’m feeling lazy?). They also count as an intermediate force option (we are mandated to have one on out batbelt) at my Agency so I don’t have to carry OC or a Tazer.

Feedback Score
    I use mine for taking up space in my patrol bag, poking dead animals to make sure they're dead, I used to let my Explorers fiddle with it but I'm out of that now. For actual duty use I carry a wooden straight stick. I've seen a few get bent and you just throw them out at that point. My baton works much better than my Taser on humans too, too many cops think Tasers are a wonder weapon.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast