Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASP batons, useful or not?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

ASP batons, useful or not?

I picked up an ASP baton quite a few years ago for, well why not? Never been in LE, nor had any training with it beyond a general understanding of beating something with a stick.

I was thinking of sticking in in a Go bag I am setting up for a pretty specific purpose (going and helping my adult daughter egress from a not-so-nice part of town, should that become necessary). I guess as a non-lethal tool for get-the-hell away from me situations, or maybe some other utilitarian purpose, breaking a car window or whatever.

I think I’ve read over the years that they’ve fallen out of favor with LE, I assume due to changing use of force policies.

Do they serve any useful purpose, or should I leave it out?

Thanks, and if this is a stupid topic, I apologize in advance.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Most LE agencies have stopped using/carrying them because a better option became available - the taser. The other reason is that it’s hard to use it without it looking like you’re beating someone with it. My agency still authorizes the carry of them and we go through yearly training on how to use them defensively.
    They could be useful for a civilian in a go bag. The collapsible one get fairly small and wouldn’t take up much room. If you already have one, I’d put it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Monadnock and PeaceKeeper RCB are better collapsible batons than ASP IMO.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Adequate for breaking windows.There are better specific tools.
    Sometimes it is nice to be able to probe into grass or dark places at arms length.
    Sends a certain message, e.g., use of force when expanded.
    Mediocre striking weapon.

I do keep them within reach in my vehicles because they are multiple purpose devices.
    I think the OP’s rationale are all valid, but the utility vs. weight in a pack might be a decision point.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The best ASP is an Streamlight SL20. From experience.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I find mine useful on duty. If I drop something on the passenger floorboard, I roll a piece of duct tape, put it on the end of the baton, and use that to recover the dropped item. Never have used it for its designed purpose in 32 years.

Yet, I can see if weight is not an issue where it could be good to have. It might get you out a spot without having to shoot; potentially less chance of legal problems and much quieter so you don’t attract unwanted attention.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Works really well to get that hard to reach scratch under my body armor. Wouldn't understand why a civilian would need one.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since you already have one, yes. Especially if it's aluminum (I think all ASP's are?) for size and weight. There are better options for window-breaking/extraction but an ASP can get the job done. I've only ever used mine in training and carry it only per policy

Feedback Score
    I added the ceramic glass breaking cap to the end of mine to make breaking windows easier. I stopped carrying it a couple of years ago to save some weight when my back started giving me issues. It’s in my patrol bag if I need it for glass breaking purposes. I’ve been a cop for 15 years and have never used it for it’s intended use. We train once a year with them as well. The concern I would have if deploying it without having practiced or trained (even with practice or training for that matter) with it is getting it taken away in a fight then used against you. Now you’re getting beat up with your own ASP which would suck. The benefit to weight ratio isn’t there for me so I leave it in the car.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    The concern I would have if deploying it without having practiced or trained (even with practice or training for that matter) with it is getting it taken away in a fight then used against you. Now you’re getting beat up with your own ASP which would suck. The benefit to weight ratio isn’t there for me so I leave it in the car.
    Lots of truth right there.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast