Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malfunction today...your thoughts on a fix?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Malfunction today...your thoughts on a fix?

Wife and I were out shooting and she had three or four malfunctions without any discernable pattern to them. Because we have never really had any issues before, I figured I'd ask the group for their ideas.

Rifle is a BCM 11.5" carbine upper with fixed FSB. LMT enhanced carrier with a BCM OEM bolt, A5H4 buffer, and Sprinco green buffer spring. Shooting suppressed with a Silencer Co. Omega 300 with Wolf steel case ammo in a Gen 2 windowed PMAG.

For the record, this rifle has multiple hundreds of rounds of this exact ammo through it. Suppressor has not been used for all those rounds but this is also NOT the first time out with the can on it. I don't typically clean the rifle but it is always generously lubed with ALG or Slip 2000.

The malfunction was a failure to extract with the empty casing being pulled roughly 1/2" out of the chamber and a new round stripped from the mag and wedged into the feed ramp under the spent case. I can see extractor claw marks on the rim of the case but the case never got pulled all the way out.

I have already done what I think will solve the issue but am curious on others thoughts.

How would you fix this issue if the rifle were yours?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    If I’m understanding you correctly, it sounds like you stripped the top round and essentially caused a double feed...which means your bolt DID make full travel with the spent case still being held by the extractor, which means you probably have a bad ejector/spring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check your extractor..that is my first thought.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    If I’m understanding you correctly, it sounds like you stripped the top round and essentially caused a double feed...which means your bolt DID make full travel with the spent case still being held by the extractor, which means you probably have a bad ejector/spring.
    I would agree, bolt had full travel and stripped the next round as it should. Unfortunately, previous round was not extracted from chamber.

Do you think it's ejector or extractor that is bad?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    @lonestardiver What would you look for as the fault in the extractor?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    I would agree, bolt had full travel and stripped the next round as it should. Unfortunately, previous round was not extracted from chamber.

Do you think it's ejector or extractor that is bad?
    Ejector.

Just caught the ammo being used, I would try brass cases ammo to rule that out too.

Feedback Score
    If it was me, I would first give the gun a good cleaning and inspection. It could be anything from a piece of primer floating around to a build up of crap in the chamber. I would check the ejector for proper tension and/or change the spring if borderline. While cleaning the extractor, I would replace the insert and spring with a sprinco spring or any 5 coil spring since it only takes a minute. If the claw on the extractor looks good reassemble and test for gas ring issues and check all aspects of the bolt including the cam pin. Lube her up and then reshoot with only brass.

I use to shoot wolff steel and started to get stuck cases in multiple uppers. After a good cleaning and scrubbing of the chamber, the problem went away with only brass. Lastly, if the malfunctions only happen with one mag, I would use a new mag.

Just me thoughts,

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Fail to extract if the empty is still half way in the chamber. Clean the chamber, clean the bolt (take off the extractor), change the extractor spring, and inspect the extractor claw...is it worn looking, if so, replace it too. Wouldn't hurt to change the ejector spring too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Fail to extract if the empty is still half way in the chamber. Clean the chamber, clean the bolt (take off the extractor), change the extractor spring, and inspect the extractor claw...is it worn looking, if so, replace it too. Wouldn't hurt to change the ejector spring too.
    ^^ this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thoroughly clean chamber.

If it's still FTEx, change extractor, spring, and insert.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast