Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Contingency Plans

Feedback Score

Contingency Plans

So we have an election coming up this November of 2020, not that this is news, but it is what it is. Currently I do not foresee the current President of the United States, Donald J. Trump winning reelection. I don't foresee Republicans holding the Senate at this point either, no way they recapture the House of Representatives. So come next January we are going to have Joe Biden as POTUS, with a Democrat controlled congress. The Senate Democrats will probably vote to do a rule change and kill the filibuster on legislation. So within a year or two they are going to ban semi-auto rifles, as well as most semi-auto pistols and shotguns too, and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds maybe even less. I hope I'm wrong about this, but still have to accept the reality of the situation.

With that in mind, it's time to come up with a contingency plan going forward on what guns to think about acquiring, carrying, and shooting in the coming age of banned semi-autos and no new standard capacity magazines. I won't be turning anything in, but I'm also not going to risk stuff getting confiscated if there is an outright ban, or just wearing out guns that we might not be able to get parts or work done on depending on law changes. Same thing with magazines, I'm not going to wear out and trash valuable standard capacity magazines if they are banned.

So given the ugly above listed scenario what is a guy to do going forward to continue enjoying the discipline of shooting, and also still maintaining reasonably effective tools of self defense outside the home or at home that will not run afoul of potential new laws?

Personally I will try to acquire as many standard capacity magazines as I can, as well as new springs and followers for all the ones I already have so they can be rebuilt if needed assuming they have intact feed lips. I'll try to get as many common spare parts as I can to keep guns up and running in the event confiscation isn't an issue but future servicing and parts might be. Of course I will also start to accumulate ammunition, and reloading components as my budget allows.

The other side of that equation is what to get to be able to shoot, and cary without worrying about wearing it out, getting it confiscated etc. This assumes the focus is only on semi-autos.

I guess I'm going be be looking for a good DA revolver in .357 magnum, and if semi-auto pistols are still legal with up to a 10 round capacity I'll be back into the .45ACP guns.

On the rifle front I've always like scout rifles, albeit with a conventional optic, so maybe another Steyr Scout with an LPV as my general purpose light handy range blaster and grab and go rifle for those times I feel the need for a long gun with no specific use in mind.

Any other plans and reasoning are of interest to me, feel free to discuss. Feel free to flame me mercilessly for my pessimism too.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 06-27-20 at 17:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've prepared for that probability since the first ban of 1989. I've bought CASES of magazines-$5-6 apiece. I have a dozen or more spare Toolcraft $ 59 bolt carriers, many spare chrome lined barrels, and many, many complete rifles-not one or three premium rifles but many, many "good" rifles, vetted over years of actual use.

I have piles of $350 police trade in Glock 17s and magazines and parts to support them. I became an armorer years ago-cheap spare parts, an ability to diagnose and fix my guns....Nothing fancy, not "the cool guy" stuff... but it will do...

My grandchildren will never wear out what I have stored. I plan to change nothing absent outright war.
    Last edited by Esq.; 06-27-20 at 17:21.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    OK great, you have stuff laid back to keep guns up.

What do you do if the laws are so bad that getting caught with those guns means they get confiscated and you go to jail?

What do you carry or shoot outside the house after that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    OK great, you have stuff laid back to keep guns up.

What do you do if the laws are so bad that getting caught with those guns means they get confiscated and you go to jail?

What do you carry or shoot outside the house after that?
    War it is.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    War it is.
    And people called me a madman for wanting to make woodchippers great again.

But I’d say an all out weapons ban should be the red line.

#boog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    And people called me a madman for wanting to make woodchippers great again.

But I’d say an all out weapons ban should be the red line.

#boog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seriously, if that's not a Declaration of War- What the hell is? Digging your own grave? The free shower at the re education camp?

It's too damn late then. Ask the Jews how well un armed resistance works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    War it is.
    You know I hope our side has the actual will to do that, but I’m not seeing it so far.

Feedback Score
    Reality is that state laws are far more restrictive than what we’re going to get at the federal level. And then cities going a full level stupid more than that. Think mags, suppressors and SBRs. Maybe at the federal level you would get some kind of law without grandfathering for things like magazines. The Dems would know that it would just never be enforced in half of the country. But as mentioned then it’s a question of every time you leave the house you’re a felon. Dems are about passing laws, not enforcing laws.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    You know I hope our side has the actual will to do that, but I’m not seeing it so far.
    Maybe not. I suppose we'll see. All life ends in death, on your feet or on your knees- nobody lives forever.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Out of sheer curiousity why don't you all think Trump will be reelcted? Personally I think what's going on right now has a lot of people pissed and will actually hurt the Dems chances come November.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast