Thread: Noveske gen 3 upper rail compatibility issues

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Noveske gen 3 upper rail compatibility issues

So I assembled my Noveske gen 3 upper today and went to install my Centurion C4 rail and it wouldn’t seat correctly. Apparently, the robust nature of the upper isn’t compatible with the anti-rotation tabs of the rail. The rail sits about a quarter of inch (maybe less) high above the flat top. The C4 accepts a standard barrel nut and has a cut groove where it sits over the teeth of the nut. It’s a two piece rail and is clearly too far apart from the lower piece to attach without bending the tabs.

This is very upsetting, as Noveske website description of this upper clearly states it’s compatible with all Mil-Spec parts and accessories. I have a similar setup on a gen 1 Noveske upper and the same C4 rail mounts perfectly. I’m contemplating my options on what to do. The root of my concerns is the mounted gas block with set pin installed that will need to be removed if a proprietary nut is required for whatever rail I choose. Questions is, does anyone know of a rail that accepts a standard barrel nut and is compatible with this Gen 3 upper? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Changing upper receivers is easier since you have a rail you like.

Then again, removing a pinned gas block to change a barrel nut isn’t hard. That is, if it’s a roll pin and not a taper pin.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Changing upper receivers is easier since you have a rail you like.

Then again, removing a pinned gas block to change a barrel nut isn’t hard. That is, if it’s a roll pin and not a taper pin.
    I’ve got a matching gen 3 chainsaw set. I’m going to stick with this combo. I’ve emailed Noveske, but I’m not sure what response I’ll get or expect. I plan to order a BCM QRF rail and hope it’s anti rotational tabs fit the T post of the flat top. Hopefully, the pin isn’t that difficult.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Gotta love customer service these days! Email correspondence with Noveske suggests I mill off the tabs! Love that answer. They did acknowledge their billet receivers "may not be compatible" with rails that have anti-rotation tabs and listed Centurion, among others. Questioned them on compatibility with the BCM QRF and they "feel it would work, but haven't installed one in house"! So, I've emailed BCM the width of the T-bar and asked if they can confirm the ID of their tabs will fit. Does anyone know if that width, the Noveske measured 1.5cm, is a mil-spec measurement? If only people would answer the phone!!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Noveske uppers have often been a bit 'different'.

No way I'd cut off those tabs, I'd just get a BCM / Colt / other quality M4 spec upper.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I emailed BCM about their QRF and its compatibility to the Gen 3 upper. Amazing response... they replied with detailed mil-spec upper measurements, compared it to my supplied measurement of the Noveske upper and confirmed their width will in fact fit. What's more, they cc'd a Noveske customer service rep. I received two BCM responses before the Noveske team chimed in. And of course, all they would say is that they CAN NOT guarantee fitment of another companies device to theirs. But, based on BCM's response, there should be enough clearance. What a copout!

I'm a Noveske fanboy, but not when it comes to their customer service. BCM gets my vote.