Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New cars are a joke

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Wanna race?
    Ask the wife. We've got some long straight two-lane blacktop out here 10 miles or more that you may see 3 or 4 cars in a single day. I've got 16 miles miles of dirt driveway with plenty of washboard she'd give you a run for your money on.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Stepped into a 2014 tundra 1794 edition and it rocks. Big step up from the 03 dakota I had for 15 years. Kept the miles under 100k on it since I had a take home car. The tundra has just under 150k on it and was somebody's driver for sure but it will have an easier life now. My son loves the "beast mode" on it. Turn off the traction controls and turn on towing really lets the engine do what it does best.

My father in law is a diehard union guy and has to hide his enjoyment when he rides in it. I said it was built in Texas by Americans and our nissan maxima was built in Tennessee, not like the domestic shit that was built in mexico and shipped in.

Feedback Score
    Found more rust on interior components. When I was a kid, I always said I would only buy American made cars. Never again. Toyota for my next truck or a Hyundai or Honda for a car if I ever buy one.

The Colorado with the 2.5 and six speed runs great. I just question its build quality which is never a good feeling with a 2 week old car.

Shitty thing is it’s the only vehicle that made sense to purchase. I’m unlike the average American and don’t want a 30k+ car loan and I don’t want to spend 25k on a vehicle (Tacoma’s) with 65k miles.

On the subject, the average car loan now is 32k and they have 7 year loans. Outrageous.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    When I was a kid, I always said I would only buy American made cars. Never again. Toyota for my next truck or a Hyundai or Honda for a car if I ever buy one.
    The Tundra is made in America by Americans. I've toured the plant in San Antonio and talked with some of the folks who make them. They've got a great facility and appears to be damned-well run.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My 2011 6.2L Sierra is getting old. 140k miles and everything on it still works. Had to change the battery a couple times and recently had a loud wheel bearing so I changed out both front hubs and brake rotors and pads all around. Rides smooth as ever. I’ve kept it in the garage and clean and wax meticulously every chance I get. Gas mileage is bad, but I just can’t get my mind around swapping to something new that could be problematic. I’ve got a handful of friends who want to buy it if I ever sell it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    Found more rust on interior components. When I was a kid, I always said I would only buy American made cars. Never again. Toyota for my next truck or a Hyundai or Honda for a car if I ever buy one.

The Colorado with the 2.5 and six speed runs great. I just question its build quality which is never a good feeling with a 2 week old car.

Shitty thing is it’s the only vehicle that made sense to purchase. I’m unlike the average American and don’t want a 30k+ car loan and I don’t want to spend 25k on a vehicle (Tacoma’s) with 65k miles.

On the subject, the average car loan now is 32k and they have 7 year loans. Outrageous.
    Names don't mean anything anymore. They are literally just names and don't indicate where it was made or by whom. For a while in the early 2000s certain Chevy and Pontiac cars were nothing but rebadged Toyotas. Isuzu made some Hondas. Nissan might be made in the USA but is owned by Renault. The Global Engine Alliance is a joint venture between Hyundai, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi. Meanwhile Chrysler is owned by Fiat. Mazda and Subaru buy their transmissions from the same manufacturer. Ford and Mazda had a relationship. The list goes on and on....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Wanna race?
    Play nice. I have to admit, the Gen2 is a better truck. I just traded my 2014 in for a 2020. The new 2020 will run circles around the 2014. The V8 just sounded better. Not going to lie, I miss the sound.

No mall crawler here either. USA vehicles still kick butt. You just have to spend a bit and buy a good one. If price is your target, you WILL get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 07-04-20 at 09:48.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I only owned four vehicles in my lifetime. A 1980 Ford F-100, 1984 VW Jetta GLI, 1999 Chrysler Concorde, and 2018 Subaru Forester. American made, German made, Canadian made, and Japanese made. Never had any major problems with the first three. Too early to tell with the Subaru. It's an OK car for what I need at this stage in my life. It's just a boring car to drive. It's the base model and yet the the screen can tell me nine different ways of what my MPG is and what percentage the gas pedal is depressed. Yet it doesn't even have a coolant temperature readout. Just an "idiot light" that shows blue when it's cold, amber if it's getting hot, and red when it's having a meltdown! Shit, the only thing I do as far as maintenance goes is changing out the engine air and cabin air filters. The rest is done at the dealer. God, I've become lazy in my sixties!

If I could bring back one of the previous three, it would be the F-100. Base model truck but I loved that engine, 4.9 liter/300 C.I.D. inline 6 cylinder beast. The easiest engine I ever worked on. I bet some of you guys can remember when we did are own tune-ups. It was a right of passage. I bought one of those aftermarket engine manuals that walked you through the procedure. Bought the spark plug gage, feeler gage, timing light, etc. After an hour of reading the manual, I went at it. Check and gap the plugs, check and adjust idle, set the timing, change out air and oil filters, change out the oil, and sit back with a cold beer when I was done, patting myself on the back. You could tell by the look on a man's face when you told him you did your own tune-ups, if it was a look of respect or one of envy.

I digress now, I don't know if these new cars are a joke as much as they do more to isolate the driver from the actual operation of the vehicle. There's more distraction in the "cockpit" then there needs to be. I guess it comes down to prioritizing your needs and then go out and talk to mechanics, internet forums, etc. to determine which vehicle meets your requirements within the budget you set. Really no different than selecting the right AR for the mission!

Feedback Score
    The biggest problem with Toyota trucks is that there's no need to buy a new truck for the next 20 years or longer.

2000 Tundra 4X4. On the way to 300,000...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm solid Toyota too. Every Toyota I've bought has been awesome reliability wise and all were bought used. Every Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat I've had [2] was a total POS. Now aside from the engines, transmissions, brakes and electrical they were OK.....
    Never again, my current ride is a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser and it's getting on to 181,000 and I think I'm just breaking it in..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast