Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New cars are a joke

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Somewhere here or in the other car thread someone mentioned Toyota being old tech, which is true, and that's what I love about them. Using something that's been proven instead of switching it up every few years and chasing gremlins. Their old 4.7 V8 were solid and know for going a million miles. Same with the 2.2 and 2.7 4cyl. My Solara with the 2.2 4cyl went 300k miles without much maintenance. Almost no maintenance really.

To be fair it's not just about Toyotas. Ford 4.6 V8 that was used in trucks, Lincoln Towncars and Crown Vics. As well as the 4.0 v6. Chevy's 4.2lt v6 and 5.7. Jeep's old 4.0 straight six!! Honda's 2.2 4cyl

I know I'm forgetting a bunch more. This is just what comes to mind immediately. That's what I love about them. Rugged and ultra low AND inexpensive maintenance.
    Yep, that was me. It’s funny, it’s the biggest complaint about Toyota and also at the same time one of their greatest strengths. They put a good deal of time, money and intention in engineering a durable engine and drivetrain and then stick with it for a long time making small refinements over its life.

It’s one of my favorite things about Toyota. But I always hear people complaining about it.

They’re used to Ford and Chevy having 20 different engines to choose from, which is cool to have options, however Ford and Chevy never seem to get it right with That whole long lasting Concept.

Don’t get me wrong, they don’t make crap, they just don’t engineer things to last a long time in a quantity scale. I always hear stories of “my Ford lasted XXXXXX miles with no issues” and for sure they can make some good ones, same as Chevy.

The problem comes from a larger sample size and the broad issues they have over and over again with drivetrains.

I’ve owned a few fords, and a few chevys. The thing they all had in common was right around 130-150k the transmissions started to have issues. Slipping, not able to stay in the power band, etc.

Toyota’s can have issues as well, just as all manufacturers do, but on a quantity scale they have far fewer and the interval is much longer.

That 5 speed transmission on the 1grfe I had was basically brand new at 250K.

One of the biggest complaints is “I hate Toyota’s 5 speed or 6 speed, why not an 8 or 10 speed”. Well look at all the issues with other manufacturers 8 and 10 speeds and that’s your answer right there.

I’ll take bullet proof reliable Over better mpg any day. I’ll take tried and true work horse over unknown quantity any day.

I’d love to see toyota offer their diesel Engine lines here without having to Pay the tax/import them. That would be a game changer.

I’ve owned and wrenched on a lot of vehicles over the years. Toyota has given me consistent reliability and ease of use from a maintenance stand point. They are engineered very well and by far the easiest vehicles to work on at the home garage.

I have spread sheets on every vehicle I have owned, what maintenance I did, when I did it and How much it cost.

Looking through the data, Toyota always comes out as the lowest lifecycle cost and the best return on investment for me, by a large margin.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    I have a 1993 Nissan King Cab 4x4. Everything mostly works except the cruise control. The cruise control still works but when I use it the the truck doesn’t throughly stop. I have to put truck in neutral to keep from rolling though a stop sign or red light. I don’t use the cruise control now.

I have had tires, shocks, and brakes replaced over the years. The only that needs to replaced are the timing belts. I just take into the shop for those. It has the V6 3.0L engine with automatic transmission. It has the auto locking hubs so just slow down to 20 mph or slower and shift in to 4x4 mode. We only use 4 wheel drive when it snows.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Yep, that was me. It’s funny, it’s the biggest complaint about Toyota and also at the same time one of their greatest strengths. They put a good deal of time, money and intention in engineering a durable engine and drivetrain and then stick with it for a long time making small refinements over its life.

It’s one of my favorite things about Toyota. But I always hear people complaining about it.

They’re used to Ford and Chevy having 20 different engines to choose from, which is cool to have options, however Ford and Chevy never seem to get it right with That whole long lasting Concept.

Don’t get me wrong, they don’t make crap, they just don’t engineer things to last a long time in a quantity scale. I always hear stories of “my Ford lasted XXXXXX miles with no issues” and for sure they can make some good ones, same as Chevy.

The problem comes from a larger sample size and the broad issues they have over and over again with drivetrains.

I’ve owned a few fords, and a few chevys. The thing they all had in common was right around 130-150k the transmissions started to have issues. Slipping, not able to stay in the power band, etc.

Toyota’s can have issues as well, just as all manufacturers do, but on a quantity scale they have far fewer and the interval is much longer.

That 5 speed transmission on the 1grfe I had was basically brand new at 250K.

One of the biggest complaints is “I hate Toyota’s 5 speed or 6 speed, why not an 8 or 10 speed”. Well look at all the issues with other manufacturers 8 and 10 speeds and that’s your answer right there.

I’ll take bullet proof reliable Over better mpg any day. I’ll take tried and true work horse over unknown quantity any day.

I’d love to see toyota offer their diesel Engine lines here without having to Pay the tax/import them. That would be a game changer.

I’ve owned and wrenched on a lot of vehicles over the years. Toyota has given me consistent reliability and ease of use from a maintenance stand point. They are engineered very well and by far the easiest vehicles to work on at the home garage.

I have spread sheets on every vehicle I have owned, what maintenance I did, when I did it and How much it cost.

Looking through the data, Toyota always comes out as the lowest lifecycle cost and the best return on investment for me, by a large margin.
    I’m biding my time for Toyota to bring a new Tundra. My 2007 is still running just fine at 137K trouble free miles. Starting to show it’s age though, has a bit of rust in the bed and driver side doors, although only the passenger side sheet metal and paint are original thanks to hail damage. The Toyota original paint and metal are all fine and rust free.

The 5.7L and 6 speed auto still get the truck up to speed and down the road like the day I drive it off the dealer lot. Probably should do new spark plugs and a transmission fluid change/flush before this fall. Finally needs new brake pads, but the rotors still have a ton of material and no glazing or cracking. Shocks could stand to be replaced but just because I never liked them, they still work fine though. Interior is still in good shape and everything still works.

Kind of tough to complain about a nearly 14 year old truck that has given me basically no compelling reasons at all to get a new truck. At least not from a quality/reliability/durability standpoint.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    I am prepared to purchase, right now, cash, a proper 3rd world spec diesel Hilux with manual trans. If the interior panels and radio are ripped out and it starts with a screwdriver, thats fine. Working AC is optional, but would be nice.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned. But another bullshit thing about new cars is that they can be disabled remotely. I dunno about you but I have no interest in owning a car that can be disabled by some person sitting at a computer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned. But another bullshit thing about new cars is that they can be disabled remotely. I dunno about you but I have no interest in owning a car that can be disabled by some person sitting at a computer.
    This x1000000
    I’m not a huge fan of ECUs being connected to infotainment centers. Critical vehicle functions should be on a closed system that require physical access.

As an aside, I think any mfg who released a barebones truck would kill it on the fleet side.

4x4, manual or auto trans, turbo-diesel, and bench seats. I can dream...
    Last edited by thepatriot2705; 07-05-20 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    deleted

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    This x1000000
    I’m not a huge fan of ECUs being connected to infotainment centers. Critical vehicle functions should be on a closed system that require physical access.

As an aside, I think any mfg who released a barebones truck would kill it on the fleet side.

4x4, manual or auto trans, turbo-diesel, and bench seats. I can dream...
    LOL manual transmission for fleet sales.

NOPE.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I worked in the injection molding industry for a number of years, serving the Big Three. The corporate culture of the auto industry is not a nice one nor an efficient one nor a scrupulous one. Quality and safety come it at a distant, distant third place behind money. We see it often in recalls and safety warnings. For each of those that is known I'm sure there are many others that are present, waiting to be discovered. Their main goal most of the time was not quality parts on time, they put everything they could in the way of that.... the mail goal always seemed to be that we did not make any money on it. They constantly squeezed for pennies, and then strung out payment to the point where a lot of places could not stay in business. Then there was the time when they said, "hey, you know that $1.4 million we did with you last year? We want 15% back. Oh it's not mandatory..... but if you want to ever do business with us again, we recommend doing it." How nobody went to jail for that I do not know. It was a constant theme: "If you don't take a loss on this program, we won't give you a shot at the next no-profit program".

There is very little corporate memory retention, in other words, there is not really 120 years of experience building our cars. Many (certainly not all, but many) of the engineers I worked with had lots of education but little experience and many lacked common sense, which, once they were indoctrinated into the industry culture, was replaced with a threatening, mean-spiritedness. This came down from the top and was, simply, policy. Nice guys, even smart nice guys, were not what they wanted.

I could write a book, but I'm glad to be away from it and into something where all my customers, all of them, are great people to deal with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is a rumor of a twin turbo V8 going into a Tundra ala Lexus. Raptors beware.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast