Thread: Hydration for plate carrier

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hydration for plate carrier

Looking to take a few classes this summer, so I’m trying to get my gear sorted.
    My old issue Camelbak fell to pieces the last time out hunting. I’ve got an AWS OCPC that I’d like to hang some water on. I looked at the Qore ice plate and it looks pretty rugged. Harder to wreck than a bladder?
    I could also just get the Camelbak that attaches to the carrier.
    Any opinions?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    The SKD Pig hydration carrier is great for a no-frills hydration source.

I currently use a Tyr back panel that carries 1.5L of water, 3 flashbangs, and my NODs.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve got both the old and new Qore and do not recommend them. The size, shape, and hose attachment are not ready for prime time. Its a really good idea that has not yet reached maturity.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve got both the old and new Qore and do not recommend them. The size, shape, and hose attachment are not ready for prime time. Its a really good idea that has not yet reached maturity.
    Thanks for the feedback! I think I’ll skip it for something else.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Looking to take a few classes this summer, so I’m trying to get my gear sorted.
    Grand million dollar standard M4C question;
    What type of classes?

Also, how much water do you want to carry? 1L, 2L, or 3L?

Do you want Zip on/off capability, or permanent direct-molle attach?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yeah I'd agree. I have the new Curve because I got tired of popping my Camelbak bladders when in a vehicle. Its a good idea for what I need it for, but it holds .5 liters less than my CB bladder IIRC, has collapsed in on itself some like a plastic bottle under pressure, and the water flow isn't as strong as I'd like so it takes more work than a CB bladder.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Grand million dollar standard M4C question;
    What type of classes?

Also, how much water do you want to carry? 1L, 2L, or 3L?

Do you want Zip on/off capability, or permanent direct-molle attach?
    Local carbine class with plate carrier. I would prefer 2 liter, but let would probably be fine.
    My carrier does not have provision for zippers, so MOLLE attach is probably my only option.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Don’t forget the option of stuffing a water bottle in a Jenna J mag pouch or two, or putting a med-large GP pouch on the back and hanging a 1-1.5L bladder in it.

Prehydrate for sure.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Local carbine class with plate carrier. I would prefer 2 liter, but let would probably be fine.
    My carrier does not have provision for zippers, so MOLLE attach is probably my only option.
    You could potentially have zippers if you want; If your PC is compatibly sized, and you like one of Tyr Tactical's back panels, they do make an inexpensive zipper adapter set for Molle carriers;
    http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...-platform-set/

Tyr also does make dedicated 50 (1.5l) and 70 (2L) oz zip hydro panels without extra pockets if you don't like/want a full back panel.

Aside from that, the most popular options I've seen are the afore-mentioned SKD PIG (I've owned a couple of these, they do seem to work as advertised)
    the Haley Flatpack (normal size, collapsed. Interesting idea, since you can expand it later to "plus up" your load carriage if working with people that can get into it for you, like any other back panel, if that's a capability you think you might want someday),
    and the Crye 11x6x4 with shock cord ( http://www.cryeprecision.com/Product...p-pouch-11x6x4 ). The Crye used to be all the rage for a lightweight option to pair with a JPC. YMMV with how well the shock cord compresses the bladder.

As far as "needing" a bladder option to run at a class...eh... it depends on how long you're going to be too far away from the shooting bench to get at regular ol' water bottles. Unless you're going to go out and 'patrol' for a couple hours at a time, probably an expenditure of money that I would not deem critical to one's success in a class. You're just needlessly weighing yourself down. I get the whole "train with your kit as you intend to wear it" thing, but IMHO, this is what I would deem an "optional" addition. I would buy one only if you intend to use it all the time as part of your kit.
    A few years back, I attended a few classes that involved lots of drills with lots of movement; first class, I wore a chest rig and a 3L bladder. It worked, and I made it through the class. Second class, intended to wear the same thing, but borked the stupid bladder nozzle early the first day, forcing me to ditch it for my backup bottled water. Despite fixing the nozzle at the hotel that night, I didn't bring the bladder back the second day. It sounds stupid, but I didn't realize how much difference a measly 7 pounds would make; I found myself mildly less fatigued, but more importantly, less focused on the weight of the thing sloshing on my back, and more able to focus on doing the drills and absorbing more information. It was like I suddenly had extra brain cells available. Of course, YMMV, and this is in no way meant to deter you from trying all your kit together; I just wouldn't get invested in "needing a bladder right now" for the vast majority of classes.

That being said...on the flip side, with a 1-2liter bladder, depending on how much stuff you have up front on your PC, I am a fan of having it not only as a water source, but as a counter-balance. If you don't go too overboard one way or another, it can help settle the load on your PC. Granted... you drink the water, so it's finite, and if you never drink it, why drag around dead extra weight? But it's something to consider as a side benefit.

If I am going to use a bladder that's not in a pack, I like either an option I can remove quick (zips), or something that will compress flat enough to not need removal in case you want to run a pack. All the above should meet this option.

Don’t forget the option of stuffing a water bottle in a Jenna J mag pouch or two...
    Is that a 'double-stacked' joke?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-29-20 at 23:34.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    You could potentially have zippers if you want; If your PC is compatibly sized, and you like one of Tyr Tactical's back panels, they do make an inexpensive zipper adapter set for Molle carriers;
    http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...-platform-set/

Tyr also does make dedicated 50 (1.5l) and 70 (2L) oz zip hydro panels without extra pockets if you don't like/want a full back panel.

Aside from that, the most popular options I've seen are the afore-mentioned SKD PIG (I've owned a couple of these, they do seem to work as advertised)
    the Haley Flatpack (normal size, collapsed. Interesting idea, since you can expand it later to "plus up" your load carriage if working with people that can get into it for you, like any other back panel, if that's a capability you think you might want someday),
    and the Crye 11x6x4 with shock cord ( http://www.cryeprecision.com/Product...p-pouch-11x6x4 ). The Crye used to be all the rage for a lightweight option to pair with a JPC. YMMV with how well the shock cord compresses the bladder.

As far as "needing" a bladder option to run at a class...eh... it depends on how long you're going to be too far away from the shooting bench to get at regular ol' water bottles. Unless you're going to go out and 'patrol' for a couple hours at a time, probably an expenditure of money that I would not deem critical to one's success in a class. You're just needlessly weighing yourself down. I get the whole "train with your kit as you intend to wear it" thing, but IMHO, this is what I would deem an "optional" addition. I would buy one only if you intend to use it all the time as part of your kit.
    A few years back, I attended a few classes that involved lots of drills with lots of movement; first class, I wore a chest rig and a 3L bladder. It worked, and I made it through the class. Second class, intended to wear the same thing, but borked the stupid bladder nozzle early the first day, forcing me to ditch it for my backup bottled water. Despite fixing the nozzle at the hotel that night, I didn't bring the bladder back the second day. It sounds stupid, but I didn't realize how much difference a measly 7 pounds would make; I found myself mildly less fatigued, but more importantly, less focused on the weight of the thing sloshing on my back, and more able to focus on doing the drills and absorbing more information. It was like I suddenly had extra brain cells available. Of course, YMMV, and this is in no way meant to deter you from trying all your kit together; I just wouldn't get invested in "needing a bladder right now" for the vast majority of classes.

That being said...on the flip side, with a 1-2liter bladder, depending on how much stuff you have up front on your PC, I am a fan of having it not only as a water source, but as a counter-balance. If you don't go too overboard one way or another, it can help settle the load on your PC. Granted... you drink the water, so it's finite, and if you never drink it, why drag around dead extra weight? But it's something to consider as a side benefit.

If I am going to use a bladder that's not in a pack, I like either an option I can remove quick (zips), or something that will compress flat enough to not need removal in case you want to run a pack. All the above should meet this option.

Is that a 'double-stacked' joke?
    Thanks for the advise. I’ll skip the carrier mounted for now and see how it goes.