Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith model 10 Wesson

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Smith model 10 Wesson

My son in law just acquired what appears to be a smith & Wesson Model 10 38 special US property marked from his grandfathers estate. He was WW II army. I was thinking Victory model but there is no V prefix before the serial number and no lanyard swivel on the butt, plain smooth walnut grips. It seems S & W doesn't or any where else have a serial number lookup. Looking for any help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Info is included in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. I've never looked up a USGI model in it before.

Is there a dash number after the model number, located in the crane area?
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-29-20 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    We missed the V because it was located on the opposite side of the lanyard ring mounting hole from the serial number instead of at the beginning of the serial number. The lanyard ring had been removed some time in the past. At first I thought it might have been broken off but I removed the grips and the retaining pin is also missing. The acceptance mark is GHD ( Guy H. Drewry) and there is a P proof mark. My son in law's dad gave it to him and didn't know what it was other than an old S&W revolver. Serial number is in the 600,000 / 700,000 range. Finish is worn in spots and the bore is bright and shiny. A nice family heirloom. Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Congrats on preserving a great family piece.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see a picture or two.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Too cool, I have a snubbie like the one my great Uncle carried in his pocket backing up his service M-10 when he was a Chicago Cop.
    My Grandfather, who was my Great Uncles little Brother and later his ward, said he was stern, but fair and would like all good Irish Cops swing a baton like Mickey swing a bat.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    We missed the V because it was located on the opposite side of the lanyard ring mounting hole from the serial number instead of at the beginning of the serial number. The lanyard ring had been removed some time in the past. At first I thought it might have been broken off but I removed the grips and the retaining pin is also missing. The acceptance mark is GHD ( Guy H. Drewry) and there is a P proof mark. My son in law's dad gave it to him and didn't know what it was other than an old S&W revolver. Serial number is in the 600,000 / 700,000 range. Finish is worn in spots and the bore is bright and shiny. A nice family heirloom. Thanks for the help
    Info from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th edition...

The "Victory" model was introduced with a V serial prefix from V 1 to 769,000 at which time a new design hammer block was introduced and the serial prefix became SV added to indicate the change.
    This change was made after the death of a sailor from an accidental discharge of a Victory pistol dropped on the deck of a ship.

GHD was an inspector from 1930-57.

I did not see anything about the "P"
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Info from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th edition...

The "Victory" model was introduced with a V serial prefix from V 1 to 769,000 at which time a new design hammer block was introduced and the serial prefix became SV added to indicate the change.
    This change was made after the death of a sailor from an accidental discharge of a Victory pistol dropped on the deck of a ship.

GHD was an inspector from 1930-57.

I did not see anything about the "P"
    http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/v...and_wesson.htm

Feedback Score
    I was able to get a letter from S&W several years ago on a .38 S&W revolver my grandfather had from the early 1960s. Try this: http://www.swhistoricalfoundation.com/info.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE View Post
    I was able to get a letter from S&W several years ago on a .38 S&W revolver my grandfather had from the early 1960s. Try this: http://www.swhistoricalfoundation.com/info.html
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Awesome find. Even though the .38 revolver was probably a lousy military handgun and obsolete before WW2, I think there is something incredibly compelling about those old guns. I’d treasure that gun...though I’d certainly shoot it a bit too.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast