Thread: How to tell if ammo is handloaded or factory

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

How to tell if ammo is handloaded or factory

I bought 3,000 rounds of loose 9mm from a guy with loads of Positive feedback on another site. He’s not an ammo dealer or anything.

It came loose in a box, per his ad. All sorts of headstamps. S&B, FC, Win, Blazer, Perfecta, FC...and that’s just the first handful.

He states the ammo was bought new and dumped in barrels. I don’t have a reason to doubt it is not factory ammo - the S&B ammo for example all has the factory “gold” bullets and they are 124gr. I am 100% sure these are factory rounds.

The rest of it though all looks exactly the same. Some have silver primers. Some have gold. The bullets (all 115gr) all look the same - but how much variation is really in 115gr 9mm FMJ bullets anyway.

I guess to be safe If I have any failures with this ammo I will check the Bore to make sure it wasn’t a squib but was wondering if there’s any easy way to tell if these are handloads.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-15-20 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    Usually handloads will have a faint discoloration about 1/4 the way up from the rim running the circumference or the cartridge. That is the area the sizing die stops and no longer sizes. You may even feel a minor minor step there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the powder is exactly the same in all of the different mfg's brass, that's an indicator that they might be handloads.

The primers not all being the same can be considered an indicator that it's all factory loaded.

If all the primers match the different powders, then it also may be factory loaded.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Usually handloads will have a faint discoloration about 1/4 the way up from the rim running the circumference or the cartridge. That is the area the sizing die stops and no longer sizes. You may even feel a minor minor step there.

Nope. Definitely nothing like that on any of these pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    If the powder is exactly the same in all of the different mfg's brass, that's an indicator that they might be handloads.

The primers not all being the same can be considered an indicator that it's all factory loaded.

If all the primers match the different powders, then it also may be factory loaded.
    Cool. How can I verify different powders? Do they look different?

I’m assuming most manufacturers use the same 115gr pills so I doubt there’s much variance in those.

All of the primers are consistent. For example, all the Blazer brass has a gold primer. All the older looking Federal brass has silver, all the newer looking federal brass has gold.

Feedback Score
    Awesome. Here is a photo for reference for anybody that may want a visual.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

The weird thing is that several of them are exactly the same but others aren’t.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Multiple primers, bullet profiles, and powders.

One thing about factory ammo, companies often change powder depending on availability. I’m not sure that’s the best indicator. If they were all identical you may think “reloads” but being they are all different, reloaders can buy multiple powders. The fact they aren’t the same combined with no sizing marks I’d say you’re in possession of factory ammo. I’d sort by headstamp and rock on.