Thread: Women in Firearm Classes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Women in Firearm Classes

The COVID-19 issue and rioting over the past month has changed the demographics of our students. How many instructors are seeing an uptick in the number of women taking carbine classes? We've taught two carbine classes in the past two week, 12 students each, and had 23 of 24 slots filled by women. You could describe the women as soccer moms.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's such a crazy over-representation I'd be inclined to believe they were all part of some group who decided to take a class together. I'm assuming typically women/men would be around 1/10 in these classes?
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More ladies in general. More folks attending in family/friend groups that probably wouldn't attend individually. More requests for 1:1, private and "discreet" events.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    That's such a crazy over-representation I'd be inclined to believe they were all part of some group who decided to take a class together. I'm assuming typically women/men would be around 1/10 in these classes?
    When we make introductions at the beginning of each class, we ask each student to stand up, tell us their name, where they are from, what experience they have and why they are taking the course. A few of the women stated they were taking the course with one or two friends, but no one mentioned taking the class as an organized group.

The first course was interesting in that two women showed up with M1 Carbines and one brought a SKS rifle. When asked about their choices they stated it was all they had on hand. One of the ladies said "it's a carbine class, right?" The three of them did quite well with the equipment they had.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

The first course was interesting in that two women showed up with M1 Carbines and one brought a SKS rifle. When asked about their choices they stated it was all they had on hand. One of the ladies said "it's a carbine class, right?" The three of them did quite well with the equipment they had.
    "You said 'carbine'...this is a 'carbine'...we gonna do this or what?" LOL

I appreciate that...bringing what ya got to the class straight up rather than the...."OMG, I want to go to this class but I need to get 'X, Y, and Z' kit first" or worse yet "Meh, I can't go...I only got 'A, B, and C' and they suggest 'D, E, and F'". (Though some of that is on the host/course description some times that give people the wrong ideas beforehand)

Thank you for posting this; it was refreshing to say the least.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My wife has wanted to go to both a pistol and carbine class with me. I see us doing one in the near future together.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would not want to face off with a scared/pissed off woman with an SKS or M1 carbine, and definitely not if she's had training. Good on those ladies for embracing self-determination!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have had a few of my female coworkers and friends ask me to teach them how to shoot, or about buying a firearm these past few months. I have even taken a couple out shooting. People are concerned and want to be able to exercise those rights they have neglected all this time.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    More ladies in general. More folks attending in family/friend groups that probably wouldn't attend individually. More requests for 1:1, private and "discreet" events.
    I just received a request to teach a shotgun course to two women. They don't want to attend a larger class.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    In the past three months I have built three different carbines for friends and coworkers - two of them women.

I've loaned out three Glocks that turned into "try before you buy" - all three to female coworkers.

I have been doing a LOT of free lessons. Most of them are with female coworkers who are first time gun buyers.

I have given away more pepper spray, holsters, magazines and ammo than any other time in my life.

And I am helping two folks with their first Form 1 to build an SBR. They went from owning no guns to wanting a suppressed SBR. Thank goodness for E-file! And they are both women.

T2C - So I'd definitely say your data is valid.