Thread: Loads for AR pistol

Feedback Score

Loads for AR pistol

Just ordered one today with 1:7 twist 11.5” barrel. Are you guys using 77 or 62 Grs for sd rounds? And what bullet are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’ve been using 55gr federal bonded LE rounds but would love to try a few MK262 77gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Federal bonded LE loads (both the FBI and I prefer 62gr), any load with Barnes TSX (again, I prefer 62gr), Hornady 75gr SBR, MK262 Mod1 or clone...

Selection Process
    1- Buy some of each of the above, and any others you wish to try, and see which one your gun likes.

2- Buy a stock of that load.

3- Buy lots of practice loads so you can put your selected load where it needs to go.

Number 3 is the most important.

Feedback Score
    I guess I wasn’t super clear. I roll my own. So am a little limited in the department as far as some selection on bullets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    77 gr OTMs or 77 gr TMK. Both fragment well in short guns. I like XBR or H322 pushed a little over max based on your own work up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    77 gr OTMs or 77 gr TMK. Both fragment well in short guns. I like XBR or H322 pushed a little over max based on your own work up.
    Thanks. I have 1000 75gr hpbt to load and a bunch of 77smk loaded up for my ar. Maybe I’ll get lucky and the pistol will shoot that the current loading of smk decent enough. Are you looking for a specific muzzle velocity, what are you looking for when building rounds for an ar pistol?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    what are you looking for when building rounds for an ar pistol?
    We don't have any AR Pistols specifically, but SBRs down to 10.3. I really just build the load off of a 20" bolt gun so my velocity comparisons are apples to apples. If it's a stout load on the 20", it should be fine on the shorties since we don't run slow burn powders for any AR ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Just ordered one today with 1:7 twist 11.5” barrel. Are you guys using 77 or 62 Grs for sd rounds? And what bullet are you using?

I'm using a Mk262 Mod 1 clone round (77gr) in my 10.5" 1/7 pistol build that's styled after a Mk18 Mod 0. The SmallArmsSolutions ammo test has some terminal ballistic comparisons of this round from barrel lengths of 10.5"" through 20" and performance is impressive across the board. I load mine with 77gr SMKs or Noslers, over 23.8 or 24.0gr of 8208 XBR, LC brass and Rem 7-1/2 primers. MV averages around 2,780fps at 23.8gr with SDs around 10 and 3/4-MOA groups from my Mk12 Mod 1 (18" barrel). Accuracy is a little better at 24.0gr, but it's hot! I haven't checked velocity through the 10.5" pistol, but it should equal or exceed the Black Hills round - YMMV.

I'm also considering solids for better penetration, primarily the 62gr Barnes TSX, but can't find any in stock. I have some 70gr GMX solids to tinker with, but it will be hard to beat the 77gr for accuracy and open area SD.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe_762 View Post
    I'm using a Mk262 Mod 1 clone round (77gr) in my 10.5" 1/7 pistol build that's styled after a Mk18 Mod 0. The SmallArmsSolutions ammo test has some terminal ballistic comparisons of this round from barrel lengths of 10.5"" through 20" and performance is impressive across the board. I load mine with 77gr SMKs or Noslers, over 23.8 or 24.0gr of 8208 XBR, LC brass and Rem 7-1/2 primers. MV averages around 2,780fps at 23.8gr with SDs around 10 and 3/4-MOA groups from my Mk12 Mod 1 (18" barrel). Accuracy is a little better at 24.0gr, but it's hot! I haven't checked velocity through the 10.5" pistol, but it should equal or exceed the Black Hills round - YMMV.

I'm also considering solids for better penetration, primarily the 62gr Barnes TSX, but can't find any in stock. I have some 70gr GMX solids to tinker with, but it will be hard to beat the 77gr for accuracy and open area SD.
    I think I am going to force it to like 77gr nosler. I can run them in my 16” good and it likes them. Not as much as the smk, but I can keep 1000 of them in stock for when the need arises. I have 1500 62hpbt from hornady and 1000 75gr hpbt from everglades to use up. The 16” hates the 62s but seems to be decenttly happy with the 75gr. I hate having various rounds laying around for one gun. And I am not sure how I ended up with all of this.

For sd ammo though I do like the 62tsx, but as you say cant find them, and they’re ungodly expensive to have more than 2-300 rounds of them laying around.

I honestly hate load workup, I dont ming reloading so much now that I have a dillon 650. But load workup drives me nuts and I get to ocd about accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk