Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ar pistol as aow for a fixed stock?

Feedback Score

Ar pistol as aow for a fixed stock?

I just ordered my first ar pistol. Wanting to put a fixed stock on it, LEGALLY. My Google fu currently is weak and couldn’t find what I was looking for. Can I file it with the atf as “aow” and then be allowed to put a fixed stock and fore grip on it? And to travel across state lines is it better to take everything off and just put the pistol brace back on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Using a fixed buttstock would convert the pistol into a rifle, not an AOW. Whether or not you've made a NFA-regulated SBR or not would depend on barrel length and OAL. Installing a VFG on an AR pistol would make it an AOW if the minimum OAL wasn't met.

Feedback Score
    If you want a stock, e-file a Form 1 as an SBR. My last one got approved in 10 business days.

To travel either submit for interstate travel approval or return the item to non-NFA configuration (either a pistol or 16” rifle). Though the receiver is on the registry as an SBR, it’s only actually an SBR if it’s assembled as such.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    If you want a stock, e-file a Form 1 as an SBR. My last one got approved in 10 business days.
    Wow. That's fast.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow. That's fast.
    Yep! And the one before that was 7 days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post

To travel either submit for interstate travel approval or return the item to non-NFA configuration (either a pistol or 16” rifle). Though the receiver is on the registry as an SBR, it’s only actually an SBR if it’s assembled as such.
    Ok that’s what I’ll do after I get the pistol. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Any certain things I need you look out for going form 1 route?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Any certain things I need you look out for going form 1 route?

I highly recommend you watch or read a step by step guide to filing an e-Form 1. It is not difficult, but there are some things one must definitely be aware of. There’s a very good step by step instruction on here. There are also several good sources on YouTube.

Local PD’s are a good source for the fingerprints you’ll need. Just order the cards off of Amazon. FD-258 is what you need. You’ll also need to take a passport style selfie with your phone.

Lastly, I would source a competent, well reviewed NFA engraver way ahead of time as you’ll need your SBR to be engraved. DO NOT under any circumstance use a local trophy shop or jeweler for the engraving.

Feedback Score
    Their is a class3 dealer near me that can do the engraving. Thanks for the help. I’ll read through the form 1 stuff and go from there

Feedback Score
    https://youtu.be/Xz7wpcgUq98

I used this as my guide the first time and got approved no problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast