Thread: Black Hills 77gr TMK got wet

Feedback Score

Black Hills 77gr TMK got wet

So in a move of total incompetence on my part I forgot to remove some magazines loaded with black hills TMK out of a trash bag that was in the back of my truck during couple of days with rain.

The five magazines were inside of magazine pouches, face down in a plate carrier which was inside of a thick black contractor trash bag . The plate carrier itself was wet with moisture on the outside of the Pmags as well. Approximate time in this condition was 48 hours.

According to Black Hills the primer pocket is sealed however the case mouth is not.

Should I trust this ammo? I'd hate to discard it during times like these but I'd also hate to not have them at my disposal

Any help is appreciated ! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If this was me, I'd have the replacement ammo on hand to replenish and exhaust what was in the mags at the range.

Feedback Score
    Make it training/zeroing ammo. Replace with new ammo if you need to depend on it. It’ll likely shoot fine. I’ve picked up M855 from waterholes and it fired. I’ve experimented with submerging reloads for a week and not had one fail. But, if your life depends on it, use fresh ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bet it's just fine. I'd probably pull a few bullets on what I thought was the worst positioned ammo to see if any powder clumping was happening.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I really doubt anything is wrong with the ammo. I would just shoot it on your next outing and replace. I would shoot a couple rounds without a can first, then add a suppressor.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pretty much any ammo for the military is sealed and waterproof and pretty sure everything black hills does is sealed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
    So in a move of total incompetence on my part I forgot to remove some magazines loaded with black hills TMK out of a trash bag that was in the back of my truck during couple of days with rain. The five magazines were inside of magazine pouches, face down in a plate carrier which was inside of a thick black contractor trash bag . The plate carrier itself was wet with moisture on the outside of the Pmags as well. Approximate time in this condition was 48 hours. According to Black Hills the primer pocket is sealed however the case mouth is not. Should I trust this ammo? I'd hate to discard it during times like these but I'd also hate to not have them at my disposal
    Any help is appreciated ! Thanks!
    The 5.56 77 TMK is my open air precision round. Both the case mouth and primer are sealed. Mine have gotten pretty wet via rain and snow, and stayed that way in soaked gear or wet containers. When in doubt, they get rotated to training and replaced with new. Recommend the same for you.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    The plate carrier itself was wet with moisture on the outside of the Pmags as well...
    So, they were only damp, or maybe wet?

I would worry if they were actually submerged for 48 hours, but just being wet wouldn't worry me at all...

Looking at some of my tarnished milsurp 7.62NATO, a couple days being wet is no big deal.

So in a move of total incompetence on my part I forgot to remove some magazines loaded with black hills TMK out of a trash bag that was in the back of my truck...
    And yeah, it sounds like you need something better than a trash bag to transport your gear!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it's black hills I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless the ammo actually got fully submerged, I also wouldn't worry at all.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery