Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Detent Mods???

Feedback Score

AR15 Detent Mods???

Hi,
    Working on an AR15 build and decided to try some of the detent mods I hear of on the Internet.

Just did the rear take down pin with a 4-40 tap and an allen screw.

Had to cut the spring back about a 1/8" to get the right tension.

Looking to do the same for the safety detent as soon as the parts I need arrive.

This is done by replacing the detent with a 1/8" SS ball and a 8-32 allen screw.

Wondering if anyone here has done this???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've not done this. I remember this being "the thing" to do 10 or so years back on AR15.com. But I'm not a fan of modifiying a lower unless necessary, and the original configuration has never been an issue for me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Arrow Precision & Spikes do that to their lowers. When I am assembling them for customers, I will use the supplied parts but won't go out of my way to mod lowers that are not already tapped. I agree with Markm and it's not like I swap receiver extensions without cause.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is what I use, stupid simple really.

https://www.amazon.com/Takedown-Pivo.../dp/B017OUSJFQ

https://radianweapons.com/take-down-pins

As for the rear take down pin, I really don't see a point to it unless you plan on switching out parts left and right every time you get that OCD itch to try something new. Buy once, install, and then stake the castle nut to the end plate and leave it simple and stupid proof.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've not done this. I remember this being "the thing" to do 10 or so years back on AR15.com. But I'm not a fan of modifying a lower unless necessary, and the original configuration has never been an issue for me.
    I think some of them were also threading bolt release holes. Why? Inexplicable, it's not hard to do with a pin, tape, and a roll pin starter punch and roll pin punches.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    I think some of them were also threading bolt release holes. Why? Inexplicable, it's not hard to do with a pin, tape, and a roll pin starter punch and roll pin punches.

Aero threads the bolt release holes on their M4E1 & M5 lowers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Working on an AR15 build and decided to try some of the detent mods I hear of on the Internet.

Just did the rear take down pin with a 4-40 tap and an allen screw.

Had to cut the spring back about a 1/8" to get the right tension.

Looking to do the same for the safety detent as soon as the parts I need arrive.

This is done by replacing the detent with a 1/8" SS ball and a 8-32 allen screw.

Wondering if anyone here has done this???
    Get some aluma-black on those threads.

I've done the bolt catch and rear take-down pins on several builds. The rear take down modification is an easy operation and is, IMO, worthwhile.

The slide catch is a little more difficult to do and really has questionable utility, to me at least, I've pretty much stopped doing them. I still have the long bits and taps, so I'm not going to say I won't do any more.

Personally I would not do the ball-bearing thing on the safety/selector.

As to why do such things - some folks like to tinker.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    Aero threads the bolt release holes on their M4E1 & M5 lowers.
    These weren't Aero's that they were shade tree tinkering with. Palmetto's, 80 percents, or Poverty Ponies.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've not done this. I remember this being "the thing" to do 10 or so years back on AR15.com. But I'm not a fan of modifiying a lower unless necessary, and the original configuration has never been an issue for me.
    My question is WHY? Is this a fighting build or a competition build. Don't tinker very much on a factory fighting rifle.

On a competition rifle, squeeze every nano second out of it. All you got to lose is the station.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Well, I did the safety switch mod, but probably won't again, not worth the trouble.

I will keep doing the take down pin mod as I think it helps from losing parts.

Not trying to be smarter than Gene Stoner, (no way on that) but just doing what I can to make life easier?

Thanks to everyone, for the help and opinions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast